Sound report app?

Zack

Is it possible to buy just the sound dept part of the app, if so how much? I see the app for like 40$, then extra for the reports and sound dept parts. I have reports already with using the fusion, but I'm needing something I can make more notes with since the character limit is too limited.

Yes, I've been running MovieSlate without the TC option, with the way I always kept notes, this has yet to be an issue. The only advantage I see to having the TC plugin, for those just wanting to use the app for reports, is if you wanted it to "roll" the app with incoming TC movement. This app allows plenty of space for note taking. I use this app on my iPhone, also. It ran sluggish on my 3G, but since getting the 4Gs, it's rock solid. I setup code, close enough for reports, manually in the morning and that's it. I was hesitant at first about the price, it was cheaper back then also, but it's well worth it in my opinion. Now I just have to remember never to forget my phone at home!

I'm looking for a mobile bag, fast pace solution. I use Wave Agent when I'm on the cart.

That's how I use the above. Scribble your notes as you go, make your report later, grab the TCs in WA, upload. I like the idea of using a phone but I'm not dextrous enough to enter info one-handed (w/ a boom in the other hand) while walking.

phil p

Everyone who has seen the reports from MovieSlate since I started using it have been raving about how wonderful it is and how all the information is readily available and neat. I have both add-ons for the program, and while I also kvetched loudly about the price... I do feel that it was worth it.

Looking for a bag-based option... Try this on for size: I have my ipad (with Movieslate) set up on a magic arm with a mount from B&H... Clamped to the edge of my PortaBrace using a Mafer. It sits right out in front of the 788 and the Venue, resting solidly on the Trimpac I had in the front pocket for bag power.

Yea, the rig isn't light... But I usually work bag-on-a-cart and only harness when I have to. I also don't really ever one-man-band it because every time I have, something suffers in my results. I have a picture of the rig somewhere, I'll try to dig it up for you.

Here it is:

377376_258413300877692_211591022226587_814698_341631787_n.jpg

I think we're talking about some very different sorts of shoots here. I understand the usability and need for an iPad -based app that can deal efficiently with multitrack recordings when working off a cart, or in a bag that can be set down. What I think Zack and I are grappling with were is how to get to something cool report-wise while running and gunning in a doco situation where there isn't a scripty or even an agreed-on sequence of scene/take numbers--it's all by whatever file name/numbering scheme WE come up with the spot, verbal descriptions and, if possible, TC grabs. A phone is about the biggest thing I'd want to deal with (I'm trying to make my bag smaller and lighter, not the reverse), and it looks like we're getting there. The nature of how we're shooting often means that you are really forced to "catch up " with reporting later--on lots of things I work on we're rolling most of the time....

phil p

Pretty much Philip..... I often find it even hard on these type of fast moving shoots to juggle pen and paper for notes with everything else going on I'm keeping track of. I have been using my 4s to enter in notes via voice to text, however I would have to then translate these notes into a "report" format later on (lunch, or wrap) when I would rather relax. So, if I'm able to do this straight into an app that is formatted for such report, it would be far more efficient for these type of shoots (for me). I mean, all this would be fixed if i could just get more characters available for my notes field on my Fusion lol. There's usually more than 1 problem during a take I would like to jot down for post to look out for, and since I started in post, I LOVE NOTES! :P

Pretty much Philip..... I often find it even hard on these type of fast moving shoots to juggle pen and paper for notes with everything else going on I'm keeping track of. I have been using my 4s to enter in notes via voice to text, however I would have to then translate these notes into a "report" format later on (lunch, or wrap) when I would rather relax. So, if I'm able to do this straight into an app that is formatted for such report, it would be far more efficient for these type of shoots (for me). I mean, all this would be fixed if i could just get more characters available for my notes field on my Fusion lol. There's usually more than 1 problem during a take I would like to jot down for post to look out for, and since I started in post, I LOVE NOTES! :P

I hear you. I use to work with an AC who did all his notes on the nature+scenic stuff we were doing by talking into a voice recorder and transcribing his notes on the plane home. I like your idea--I tried Dragon Dictation awhile back but had to do so many corrections that it wasn't worth the trouble (things like 102 take 1 had to be spoken "one hundred and two take number one" etc and even then it would screw it up). I downloaded MovieSlate and have been fooling with it--is there a way to make it start/stop a shot (note) automatically when using free run TC? Or are you guys all punching the start/stop manually on your iPads etc? Is there a way to make the phone or iPad be the remote control for the recorder, so that rolling MovieSlate would roll the recorder too (and stop it)? Sorry if I missed this in the previous discussions.

phil p

Can you enter verbal notes in Zax recorders? That's what I meant (in addition to filename etc). Sorry if I missed this. What I meant w/ Metacorder was that I could type anything I wanted into a field while I was rolling and the recorder app made the report for me including my notes. Being able to add notes to a take while rolling or (important) after in the machine w/o the need for an external device would be very cool.

phil p

This is tough. I am definitely interested in what everyone is doing. It depends on the job, but *usually* my Fusion is enough.

While I wish my Fusion had a bigger notes field, I always figured I would make a note via the slate mic if I needed a bigger explanation. I realize that's not possible on some doc-reality jobs where you just keep rolling for hours on end. I also don't quite feel like I do enough extra notes that I need to keep a paper note for additional info. I would definitely give post more notes, but I wonder if they would ever get them.

If I am on a film set, I sometimes have the script note something down. Like "that lock off shot would be great for room tone because the RED Epic was actually powered up and rolling".

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm carrying a bag, they don't get a report. If needs be they get a courtesy email with a few details of what's where, intentions for tracks etc.

+1

I'll send them a courtesy 'sound report' of track assignment, etc. like you mention, but on set I always tell the person asking about a report something along the lines of:

"I'll be happy to start a sound report for you tomorrow, just please make sure I have a competent boom operator available to work with this (*inserts pole closer to their eye-line*) while I'm entering the data for your report."

Inevitably they just go away and never ask for a sound report again. Now, what I have been doing recently is using the MovieSlate Sound Department plugin to make sound reports anyway, purely as a bonus, and purely because I want to be on-my-game when the time comes that someone can afford to provide me with a boom operator and I'll actually want to be familiar with the program and ready to rock on set.

These inevitably incomplete reports are only given to clients that are very nice, and with an explanation not to expect this from other sound mixers running-and-gunning. They're inevitably grateful, even if the reports are incomplete, and it's actually gotten me recommendations for other gigs.

Hate to sound like a fanboy (I'm too old)

My Cantar has been providing excellent sound reports for years now. When I talk to post, they are always very happy with the depth of meta data I'm able to give them. I enter (on the fly or pre roll, all the info about the shot and take I can. After take , I can still make comments regarding problems in the take, or was it good for a certain line etc, thru aDell X51v PDA on Bluetooth. The only thing I miss from hand written sound reports is the "circled take" thing, which the Cantar software doesn't have a simple way to do. I work TV and movie drama.

Regards,

Jim Rillie