SD 302 direct out

Johnny Karlsson

I know there is no way to do it, but I'm thinking it would be cool if there's was a way to use the set up menu to make the "tape out / mix out" jack be a direct out for channel 3.

Why? I would like to be able to do 3 isos, but not having to wear my 442 all day long (lavs on 1+2 and boom on 3).

Perhaps in a future firmware update... yeah I know, dream on 8)

I have had the same desire of direct outs with a 302, except it cant be done with a "firmware update". Based on how its wired, and would be a major modification, that would cost a pretty penny and may be impossible to fit in the already cramp 302box.

I think it would be cool to do what sonosax's m32 did with the 5pinXLR for both Left/right outs in one plug, then have a 7 pinXLR for pre/post direct outs then an optional output. (also could be 2 normal xlrs and a 7pinxlr, based on what you want)

The sonosax M32 is a pretty sweet machine, (other than the price) the only thing its missing which the SD302 has is its menu system.

That next gen 302 may be floating around out there someday, but SoundDevices may now be turning all there interest to create something that will go head to head with the nomad.

I also own the 302 ( with 702t combo ) and like the challenge of having to be creative with I/O in any given situation using 2 lectro tx/Rx and boom.

My next move is I plan on using the tape out to send too a Comtek tx. Comtek makes an inexpensive custom cable to make that possible but it's not on the official product list but all you have to do is call them and tell them what your trying to do.

I guess at some point you have to throw your hands up and say I simply need more I/o, but technically you could run and additional 2 line level signals through 4/5, assuming your willing to give up your camera rtn. Love how this thing sounds.

If you're looking to diy a cable to turn the ta3 tape out into a tape or mic level mono out go to sound devices' website, tech notes, then 302. You'll find a article and diagram on how to make one, very useful cable. Also allows you to pass through the original left and right tape out to another device like a recorder.

All it takes is a few connectors and a couple of 1k resistors.