Which Sanken COS-11 for which serial numbers?

Mark Orusa

I own 5 Sanken COS-11 lav mics of various vintages and was wondering if anyone knows what ranges of serial numbers include the various versions: s, x, and d? It would be nice to know what version I'm really getting when buying used, or even new! I found no information about it on Sanken's web site. In case there is no clear answer, I'm going to share all but the last two digits of my serial numbers and encourage others to do the same. Perhaps we can reveal the break point in serial numbers for the different versions.

909XX - black COS-11s

940XX - black COS-11s

982XX - black COS-11s

1057XX - black COS-11x

1136XX - white COS-11d

The only way I know what versions I own is because I bought all but the lowest numbered mic new from dealers. They came with boxes that indicated their specific model, and was also reflected on the receipt. Curiously, the box for the d version said COS-11x and came with COS-11x literature, but was stamped with a D. See a pic here: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3758/sankencos11.jpg

For reference, the x version brought the following features/improvements:

- New and Improved Durable Design (strain relief where the cable meets the mic body)

- New Color Choices

- Improved Moisture Resistance

The d version brought:

- Digital transmitter RFI filtering/shielding/rejection. I understand this came at the urging of Zaxcom to prevent interference from their digital transmitters (which affected random mics).

Mark O.

• 2 months later...