how wide is your cart?

greg sextro

I'm working on the finishing touches on a new cart, and came across an issue I didn't think about - how wide it is at the axle. Mine is currently coming in at 28.5 inches....which seems like a lot. I can at least get it out of my front door - but how many other doors it can get thru has me concerned...

I think, with some work, I can shave off at least an inch, maybe 1.5 inches - more than that would involve finding some different wheels or a different mounting system (not something I really want to do)

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what numbers some of you might be coming in at.

My cart has an axle width of 24".

If you Google "Standard Door Width", you will get several conflicting answers about building code standards that go from 34", 30" - 32", or as narrow as 24".

So far I've managed to get my SKB rack style cart through most location doorways with my "front of cart" door closed, which has a depth of 4" (making it 28" wide). So that means the average door frame is slightly wider than 28" - however that width will also depend on the door itself and how it folds back or forward.

Sometimes I've had to open the "front of cart" door to slide it through very gently.

The short answer is that a cart width of 28.5" is potentially a problem.

Most (but not all) interior doors are 30". It's possible if the door opens against a wall that the door knob hitting the wall prevents it from opening the full 30". My cart is about the same as yours, 28" at it's widest. It's very rare that I run into a door where it won't fit (and it's always on a bitterly cold day so I'm stuck outside :-(

It's not the size - it's how you use it, right?

Back to the drawing board. Gonna have to find a machinist in Brooklyn who can make me the appropriate axle.

This whole time I kept telling myself that I can figure out the wheels last - oh how wrong I was. I should have started there and made some smart changes in my 8020 design.

I think when this is done I'll start a thread about cart building woes...

My carts are both at just about 22". They are also short. Follow cart is 48" and upright mixer cart is about 30".

I can't tell you how many times a narrow cart and small footprint has helped me in and out of impractical locations, including little elevators and narrow doors.

If you are primarily a location mixer, I would do anything you can do to make your cart as narrow as possible. It is not optimal to mix an interior scene while you are stuck outside.