Shure Axient for Cart use

Nick Jabour

Hello Everyone,

Just got back from getting Axient Certified at Shure out in the Chicago area. Was talking to some of there people about the uses for the system and was curious what people thought of it as a cart system or as a tool for some of the more studio driven reality tv shows.

Also if anyone has any questions about it I'm more then happy to answer.

" designed with the live music folks in mind, "

That's where Shure dominates!

" Shure's version... "

Well, that is like saying: 'Zaxnet is Zaxcom's version of LecNet'.

Actually the Axient system includes a lot of its own cutting edge technology for frequency selection and management; it is another of the possibilities for resolving our growing issues in using the limited spectrum efficiently and successfully.

Okay where to start.....

First the system was truly impressive. It's the first unit I've ever seen that before shipping did everything as advertised perfectly. It took use nearly 2 full days to go over the whole system, so I'll include the short and sweet version below.

When you use the Wireless Spectrum Manager and the Showlink system. You are talking about a wireless system that will detect and change it's wireless frequency in the time it takes you to realize anything is wrong. And when using frequency diversity mode the is nothing to actually hear, so the change happens silent and fast enough that unless you were looking at the receiver when it actually happened you wouldn’t even know that there was a problem. The frequency diversity mode uses two TX's which the RX automatically switched between silently. So you would use either 2 Lav packs, or 1 Axient HH. The Axient HH has two TX's in it. These TX's would then be linked to both sides of the rack mounted receiver, but unlike how it would happen with older systems you only need to use one of the audio outs of the receiver, it mirrors the good audio to both analog and the digital outs.

But even without the Spectrum Manager the abilities of Showlink alone were rather impressive. You could compare it's abilities to Zaxnet, but I feel that Showlink does a bit more and it is a little more user friendly and automatic. Basically once you IF sync the TX to the RX you want to use, Showlink automatically links the two in a two way conversation (Zaxnet being unidirectional) so that you could also in theory change the RX unit from the TX as well as the more common usage. Each Showlink Transceiver can control up to 16 TX's at a time and addresses them automatically. And additional Showlinks can be added endlessly. I asked how many Showlink Transceivers you could use at the same time and they said you would run out of wireless long before you ran out of possible Showlinks. Showlink though in 2.4Ghz doesn't use Wifi architecture but instead uses ZigBee which is very robust for information transaction and they designed the Showlink side of things to match the UHF part in range straight out of the box.

And this is not even mentioning that the unit is spec’d better then that already widely used and respected UHF-R series. The Axient RX's are also backwards compatible so that you can use UHF-R TX's with the RX, though you would not be able to use the Showlink system to control UHF-R TX's.

The other thing being launched with Axient is Shure's Wireless Workbench 6. Which is a huge improvement over WWB5. This still has some winkles to be worked out as far as how you go about doing a couple of this more complicated tasks, but on the basic level does an excellent job and does it much quicker and smoother then WWB5, which is what I've come to expect from any manufacturers product before actual launch. Also it's ability to coordinate with non Shure products is an awesome feature, though I have yet to directly compare it's suggestions and test them against what IAS gives me.

The product is definitely designed for live and staged: music, corporate, and broadcast markets. The receivers are AC power only. Though the new rechargeable battery system for the TX's is great and the fact that when you buy a TX it comes with 2 batteries is perfect in my opinion. I really like what they did with the chargers as well. My curiosity and why I brought the system up in this forum is what people see as it's use possibly as a cart system or as a system for the more "staged" jobs be they reality, scripted, commercial if the price tag for a system the has "no drop outs" would be worth is and how this weighs against multiple takes or time spent in post fixing "moments" because of any audio issues that came from RF.

So long story short, I'm very impressed with Shure's Axient product and am very excited to get our units in hand and see how our clients start reacting to them.

Thanks Nick.....

I've been favorably impressed with the demo's I've seen, for this huge technological leap, and as Shure has been reentering the broadcast wireless market with some of its recent products, I'd hope that in a couple years we'll be seeing this technology getting more portable as it grows hugely popular.

So far I can only find a brochure on the Axient AXT100 transmitter. I know that the UR5 receiver has a system mode that makes the receiver work in compatibility with the AXT100 although it will not feature the Showlink technology.

Will the audio signal for the AXT100 be kept analog or converted to digital before being transmitted to the UR5 receiver?

Both the Axient and the UHFR's are DSP controlled Analog transmissions. The only thing that changes between the two Systems is the Companding scheme and Pilot Tone.

That's cool about the UR5, I didn't realize that it did that.

On reading material I'll send an e-mail over the the Shure guys to see when that stuff will be made available. But have you looked at Axient.net

Yeah, I looked at it. And then the next day I went to my local rental house and saw the UR5 on display and found Axient mode as one of its options, but the manual prefaced that it does not feature Showlink technology. I hope the Axient AXT100 transmitter can dish out 100 mW RF output like the UR1, that would be a great thing. And being in Axient Mode, I wonder what features from the Axient series will the UR5 make use of? But in any case, the Rackmount looks to be very impressive.

The AXT100 will put out 100mW's in the US Freq Banks.

I would think that it basically would be a UR system but with the sound of an Axient. The manual says that all the UR5's Axient mode does is change the P tone and Compander into Axient settings. So I bet it's just a nicer sounding system, but I would be surprised if it gives you access to any of the other features.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

according to the spec sheet on the website the bodypacks are switchable between 10 and 50mw

http://www.axient.ne...ack-transmitter

I just e-mailed Bill at Shure about this. My guess is the website uses the lowest common denominator. The spec sheet I have in front of me has 10/100mw options for US freq banks, and 10/50mw options for the Euro ones and then just 10mw for countries that only allow 10mw tx power.

Because the system is scale able it's hard to give a per channel price, here are the MAPS for the more important parts, if you have a system you want me to give you a real quote for PM me.

AXT400 2 channel receiver $7065

AXT100 Belt pack Transmitter $2499

AXT200 Hand Held Transmitter $3799 (this can change depending on the head you get on the HH)

AXT600US Frequency Manager $4999

AXT610 Show Link access Point $535

Without the extra features, it's very similar cost than the Sennheiser 3700 level things

• 2 weeks later...

Shure was showing working, ready to go wireless and shotgun products; they will be good sellers for Shure, though we specialized pro folks will tend to poo-poo them.

Shure has 2 ENG/EJ wireless lines, one around the Sennheiser Evolution G3 level, and another up at the Shure R series (still near the top of the line) level, and compatibility. As for accessories, they have upgraded some of their antenna line, particularly the active LPDA, and for their shotgun line-up they now sell all the Rycote products that fit their mic's with Shure part numbers.