Using a 442 with a DR-680

Mike Matthews

I just bought a used 442 that I want to use with my DR-680. Basically, I am planning on sending 4 direct outs from the 442 tracks to four of the DR-680 channels and then sending a mix from the main XLR outs on the 442 to the last two channels on the 680.

I was wondering if anyone who is using this combination of gear could share how they are using it and also if they are recording on the DR-680 to stereo pairs or mono files. I would like to record to 4 mono tracks for the direct outs and a stereo pair for the mix, but I don't think that is possible on the DR-680. As for monitoring, are you sending the direct outs from the DR-680 back into the 442 and monitoring that?

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's advice on using these two pieces of gear together.

i used the 680 with a 552. i went mic level out of the iso's 552 post fade, no mixing. but i ran the headphone jack back into the b return for monitoring. usually i did a 6 track poly file or mono files.

Michael, whats your take on the sonic quality of the 680?

mike

the sonic quality of the dr-680 is fine. especially if feeding if from a mixer like the 442.

only cause for concern is the clock. on dslr shoots, you're fine - but takes longer than 20 minutes will fall out of sync by 1 maybe 2 frames.

I use a SD 302 w a dr-680 for low budg DSLR shoots. works great and price point is hard to beat.

i used the 680 with a 552. i went mic level out of the iso's 552 post fade, no mixing. but i ran the headphone jack back into the b return for monitoring. usually i did a 6 track poly file or mono files.

Why Mic level out? I feed the line level from my 442, it's perfectly fine, as tascam accepts signals up to +24dBu.

to the OP:

i record mono files. And run the headphone out back to 442 for monitoring (the 680's hp output is noisy unfortunately, but can suffice for a quick check if everything sounds ok) Other than that, direct outs from the mixer line level into the line input on the dr-680. Sound quality is fine, lots of headroom. I don't recall clipping the recording yet.

As for the stereo mix back to the 680, good idea, had one too - you need the xlr to jack trs cables, and there is no way to record the isos mono and the eg. 5/6 input stereo - the only option is to make a mix in the tascam, and record that as a 'mix' which would be obviously static, because mixing as we know it is pretty much impossible on the tascam :-)

• 1 month later...

the sonic quality of the dr-680 is fine. especially if feeding if from a mixer like the 442. only cause for concern is the clock. on dslr shoots, you're fine - but takes longer than 20 minutes will fall out of sync by 1 maybe 2 frames. I use a SD 302 w a dr-680 for low budg DSLR shoots. works great and price point is hard to beat.

and what about feeding it without any mixer preamps? let's say if you wanna use it for atmo's only with a schoeps stereo pair directly?

and I got AKG stereo setup as well which requires more gain ...

Im really looking into this product for it's price because I dont want to spend too much for a machine that I'll use only for ambience recordings.