Lectro 411 issue. Ughhh!!!

José

Anybody ever have issues with their Lectros 411 receiver not decoding audio signal, but after check-marking these troubleshoots I wrote below? And if so, is there any more troubleshoots that I can do before concluding my 411 needs repair. Thanks!

• transmitter and receiver: share the same block, are set at the same frequency, and are at the same compatibility mode (tx: 4 blinks, rx: 400 mode).
  • while no audio signal registers on the receiver, the 411 does receive full RF signal from the transmitter at 1000uV.
  • while there is no audio signal decoded at the receiver, there is audio present at the transmitter. The audio levels at the transmitter hovers around -20 dB.

Any troubleshoot ideas or suggestions to things that I may be overlooking would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes I would say the pilot tone indicator is a big one. If you're sure the compatibility modes are matched. You could even cycle the receiver through different modes just to be sure. Also be sure you are getting audio level registered on your transmitter indicator LEDs - Could be a mis-wired microphone if not. One last thing sometimes the frequency switch pots can be seated improperly so use a tweaker to rock the pots back and forth make sure they are seated.

Wow! I can't recall if the Pilot tone was blinking or solid. Unfortunately, I don't have my kit in front of me right now, but I will check that out in the morning. Thanks! Hopefully pilot tone could be the case.

I didn't open the mikes to check and see their inside wiring. But I had another 411 19 block in my bag to use in helping me verify that I was indeed getting the audio signal undistorted through the transmitter. I did rock the pots with both receivers. The receiver in question always did get full RF signal strength, but yet no audio levels. My second 19 UCR411a receiver got both RF signal and audio levels.

Thanks guys for the tips!

If you are using UM400s-A's check the frequency wheels and make sure that you are tuned perfectly. If it is off by one you will get RF at the RX, and possibly a varying pilot tone, but no audio. If your TX and RX are set to the right mode and frequency, and you see RF and a blinking pilot tone, hold down menu and UP, to bypass. If you hear audio in the bypass mode, than you may have a pilot tone problem, most likely at the transmitter end. A visit to the mother ship may be needed.

Thanks Rob!

So I turn on my rig again this morning and now my receiver works. Of course, always in the comfort of my own home. But yes, I lean towards the TX not tuned precisely. That sounds like the best conclusion. I've had the wireless receiver running for the past couple hours and everything works fine.

Turn the units off and on multiple times, put the receiver in the fridge for an hour, try thumping the receiver to jar things loose and then turning it on and off, then heat it up to "a sunny day on a black object temperatures" and pound it some more. Try to get it to fail in the comfort of your own home. Much better than uncomfortably on a set.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

OK. I now lean to imprecise tweaking most likely being the problem. However, I never did get a 'check freq' warning. Anyway, I'll drop the issue since it was inexplicable.

As I said, I turned on the rig in the morning and saw that the wireless started working again. I ran it for a couple hours and the issue did not repeat itself. But yeah! The day before: RF level at full strength, no audio levels at the receiver, and no check frequency warning. That's what I witnessed in my troubleshooting. Thanks guys!

• 4 weeks later...

I had the exact same thing happen to me 4 months ago. I was running an SMQV ( no chance of mis-seated dials) into my 411a on Block 19. Nothing had changed since last time I used the system successfully. I was getting plenty of RF strength, when I fired up my transmitter (no RF when transmitter was off) but the pilot tone was blinking and no audio was passed. I did bypass the pilot, just to see and got noise.

As with all digital, turning it off and on again was my first instinct. Luckily that did the trick. The pilot symbol was solid and audio passed, I haven't had the issue since, but I may try to recreate the problem, per Larry's suggestion, so I don't get burned on set some day. I hate phantom issues of intermittence.

If you have an SM series Tx, when you light it up, just be sure to hold the two buttons 'til you see the Lectro word on the screen.

I don't trust my ''internal clock'' and count 2 seconds like the manual says, I hold the buttons more than that to be sure.

Very easy to enter the standby mode if in a hurry.

Just a thought.

Very easy to make this mistake when the pressure is on.

If you have an SM series Tx, when you light it up, just be sure to hold the two buttons 'til you see the Lectro word on the screen.

I don't trust my ''internal clock'' and count 2 seconds like the manual says, I hold the buttons more than that to be sure.

Very easy to enter the standby mode if in a hurry.

Just a thought.

• 2 years later...

Dredging this thread up, as my "new" 411a will not pass audio when the pilot is engaged. I tried changing channels, making very slight changes once I have my set tuned, nothing doing.

Is there a factory reset function on the receiver that would bring me back to the original settings? Or do I bring the unit back to my trusted vendor for a look see with a good chance it's going back to Lectrosonics?

Dredging this thread up, as my "new" 411a will not pass audio when the pilot is engaged. I tried changing channels, making very slight changes once I have my set tuned, nothing doing.

Is there a factory reset function on the receiver that would bring me back to the original settings? Or do I bring the unit back to my trusted vendor for a look see with a good chance it's going back to Lectrosonics?

Hi Robert,

Did it ever work?

I assume you are saying that the pilot is a solid display. (?)

Do you get a strong audio level display on the receiver?

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Blumke: " Is there a factory reset function on the receiver that would bring me back to the original settings? "

you could try the DS Ultra Master Reset Sequence.

but I don't think it will help...

" Or do I bring the unit back to my trusted vendor for a look see with a good chance it's going back to Lectrosonics? "

well, have you read the manuals..?  have you read this thread ??  all of this thread ??  (there are some big clues)

if so, I guess taking it to your trusted vendor is next, but I don't anticipate your unit making any bigger trips...

• 2 weeks later...

Turn the units off and on multiple times, put the receiver in the fridge for an hour, try thumping the receiver to jar things loose and then turning it on and off, then heat it up to "a sunny day on a black object temperatures" and pound it some more.

Hey! That must be the "Double-Secret Reset Procedure" Senator Michaels always talks about!

I do all that, plus put it in a brown bag, stand on my front yard, swing it over my head, and scream, like a chicken! Works very time.

I ended up taking the unit into the shop and found out my transmitter was in IFB mode, everything is functioning perfectly now. Thanks guys.

That would be my suggestion: check every single menu, no matter how basic, and see how it's set up. One click off can be instant death.

Hey! That must be the "Double-Secret Reset Procedure" Senator Michaels always talks about!

I do all that, plus put it in a brown bag, stand on my front yard, swing it over my head, and scream, like a chicken! Works very time.

[snip]

Cures warts, too.

LEF