Comtek BST 75-216?

Travis Breitenbach

Hello Friends,

Has anyone been using this newish Tx from Comtek?

It looks like an appealing addition to the bag-cart hybrid set-up I've been using. The size is reasonable and it's a great price for the features. But how to orient it in a bag, and will it play nicely with other gear in close proximity? Any experiences or witty remarks?

Thanks,

Travis Breitenbach

I haven't used the BST-75-216 but I do own a BST-75. From the photos these units appear to be identical although there is the obvious difference of the transmitting frequency. The BST-75 works with the old PR-72b receivers in the 72 - 76 MHz range while the 216 version operates at 216 MHz and works with the newer receivers.

I've gradually shifted my Comtek/IFB monitoring over to the Lectrosonics IFB system but those receivers are a bit pricy. Having a transmitter that can punch out a strong signal allows me to use the old PR-72 receivers for overflow. The BST-75 supplies a 120 mW signal whereas the small transmitter only put out 10 mW (if memory serves).

I've found the BST-75 a solid performer and easy to use. Setting frequency to match the receivers was simple and the multiple LED level meter makes setting input level easy. The antique PR-72s work so well with this transmitter that no one notices any falloff in quality compared the the Lectro IFBs. (Of course, they're not making a critical comparison.)

It's really intended for use on a cart or in a rack-mount. Comtek makes the "M-216 Option P7" transmitter for more portable applications. But, assuming the BST-75-216 performs in its frequency range similar to the BST-75, it's an excellent choice for work on a cart.

David

Thanks for your responses Robert, David, and Sean!

Sean, how do you use your BST 75-216, bag or cart?

It's really intended for use on a cart or in a rack-mount. Comtek makes the "M-216 Option P7" transmitter for more portable applications.

It seems to be intended more for a cart. However it looks robust, is about the size of a 411a and could easily be run off an NP set-up. Even set at a lower output it has to perform better than an M-216 option 7 for not much more money...

I do own a number of PR-72's so it's good to hear that keeping those alive is an option. I suppose instead of moving over to 216 series I could just buy loads more used 72's for cheap, hm...

David and Sean, do you find that you get a lot of RF spray from the unit? Do you power it separately?

I do primarily ENG, but am moving over to Commercial so my large ENG bag simply gets plopped on a cart for those jobs. If I could use the BST in the bag at say 50mW and move it to the opposite end of the cart on cart jobs at 100mW I would be happy. I reckon I could run it off the 788t's power source and avoid having to add a third NP system to the bag! Sound reasonable?

Just for another viewpoint:

I carry a lot of Comteks and use both 72s and 216s for cart gigs.

My results with the M-216 transmitters (I have several), is much more positive than a couple of others have expressed. Range is normally fine (I've even used them car-to-car) and the sound quality is okay for the task when you consider the quality of the low cost headphones normally deployed with them.

My transmitters are the M-216 version with the micro jack for use with a mic or an antenna. I use either a floppy antenna or a vertical stiff wire one depending upon the situation.

I don't doubt that the base station would be a nice addition, but the more portable version has been quite satisfactory in most circumstances. I keep a transmitter in my bag with a floppy antenna for run-n-guns and at least two transmitters wired on the cart.

I also did a full documentary shoot with an M-216 mounted on the camera for the producer to hear just what the camera was getting. The producer was quite happy.

I just got a BST 75-216 for my cart about a month ago. I have shark fins for my RXs, and the BST 75-216 is using a mini-mite antenna. It is powered off the same Cart Power box as everything else, and I have not seen any issues. I will have to do some more testing to look for interference, but I really didn't notice anything. I have not yet done a walk test to compare range with a M-216, so I can't tell you what you gain in range. Those situations are so unique to the geography you are working in that it's hard to give definite results anyway. We've been shooting in, and outside, a huge 100+ year old east coast stone house and never had a range issue. That's not ground breaking, but not always possible with smaller bag transmitters.

Anyway, I'm happy with it.

Just for another viewpoint:

I carry a lot of Comteks and use both 72s and 216s for cart gigs.

My results with the M-216 transmitters (I have several), is much more positive than a couple of others have expressed. Range is normally fine (I've even used them car-to-car) and the sound quality is okay for the task when you consider the quality of the low cost headphones normally deployed with them.

My transmitters are the M-216 version with the micro jack for use with a mic or an antenna. I use either a floppy antenna or a vertical stiff wire one depending upon the situation.

I don't doubt that the base station would be a nice addition, but the more portable version has been quite satisfactory in most circumstances. I keep a transmitter in my bag with a floppy antenna for run-n-guns and at least two transmitters wired on the cart.

I also did a full documentary shoot with an M-216 mounted on the camera for the producer to hear just what the camera was getting. The producer was quite happy.

ditto...

I've used the M-216 both on the cart and in the bag -- have never really had any issues with it. I wonder if Jason and Sean are experiencing line noise and distortion or RF issues? Am I just lucky?

~tt