short film about foley recording

Rob Braxton

About 15 years ago in a UCLA extension class I saw a short film about foley work.  Initially it showed the action of a person breaking into a building and stealing gear while avoiding confrontation with a security guard.  Eventually it pulled back to reveal a foley stage and the foley artists creating efx while viewing the film on a screen.  It cut back and forth several times until the finish.

Is anyone familiar with it?  I would like to know the title and possible source of a copy.  Thanks. RB.

I haven't seen that one, but the best film I've ever seen about foley recording (or at least, part of it's about foley) was a THX demo laserdisc they gave out in the 1980s. They took a 1-minute scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- the one where Harrison Ford is on a ship at sea, trying to save an archeologicial artifact -- and completely dissected it all the way down to the production sound, then showed how each layer of sound was added to complete the mix. I think it took at least 30 minutes to show how this short scene was constructed -- music, ADR, and dozens of layers of effects.

They interviewed the Foley artists for several minutes, and they talked about how and why they chose the props for each effect. A really fascinating piece. I've shown it to several people who have no idea how much work goes into an effects-intensive scene.

--Marc W.