I'm switching to Boom Recorder.

There does not seem to be any discussion here of the Metric Halo box.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/products/mio/2882/

I have no experience with it, but Gotham Sound packages it with their Metacorder set-up.

Daniel

Metric Halo was one of the first, if not the first, to have a really solid reliable DC powerable digital hardware interface. The company has not been so successful as others in marketing their stuff --- I don't know why but this lack of marketing has resulted in not a lot of people knowing about their products. There was a period of time when they had some quality control issues with manufacturing and possibly that started some distrust in an otherwise very stable product. I had some experience with the very first model (and this was way before BoomRecorder or Metacorder) and it worked beautifully with my PowerBook.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I own a pair of MH 2882's, one on my cart and the 2nd as a spare and playback interface. The converters are fine by my ears and by all accounts are still highly regarded for their sound despite their relative age.

Here's some pictures of the interior - http://img.indigom.net/img_2882/

There's about to be a significant SHARC / DSP upgrade for the 2882 DSP version. The upgrade will be will also be able to be field installed on both the non DSP and DSP versions for $400 US. No mod's, just open up and drop it in.  The software is regularly updated and includes a basic multitrack recorder.

The DC connector is a 2.5mm socket rather than an XLR.

David Madigan

I own a pair of MH 2882's, one on my cart and the 2nd as a spare and playback interface. The converters are fine by my ears and by all accounts are still highly regarded for their sound despite their relative age.

David Madigan

Thank you, David, for filling us in on the Metric Halo 2882 from your personal experience. Sounds like the company is fairly supportive with a decent upgrade path as well.

- JW

I too, am a huge metric halo fan.

I have been using the 2882 for about 1.5 years now and am very, very happy with it.  I have had many conversations with the powers that be at Metric Halo, and I can tell you that they -fully- understand the requirements of the production sound community.

Their customer service IS first rate.  They are committed to making excellent products and then believe in fully supporting those products well into the future.

It is true that they are a smaller company, and therefore their marketing "footprint" is much smaller than the competition's.  But as word gets out, it would not surprise me to eventually become the "industry standard".

Cheers,

Darren

Metric Halo was one of the first, if not the first, to have a really solid reliable DC powerable digital hardware interface. The company has not been so successful as others in marketing their stuff --- I don't know why but this lack of marketing has resulted in not a lot of people knowing about their products. There was a period of time when they had some quality control issues with manufacturing and possibly that started some distrust in an otherwise very stable product. I had some experience with the very first model (and this was way before BoomRecorder or Metacorder) and it worked beautifully with my PowerBook.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Do you use external word clock for the traveler?

BTW

AC draw of the Rosetta is 45w

Yes, usually from an SD recorder, or by locking it to incoming TC on an audio input.  W/o ext. clock the Traveler won't hold sync for long periods of time.

@45 watts, running the Rosetta on an invertor would be like running a 2nd computer.....

Philip Perkins

Are you using an inverter for power ?  Or did you do a mod ? 

Mod.  I had it done for me, but by all accounts it was really easy and the Rosetta only employs a standard switching power supply, so I don't believe there was anything more complicated in adding a DC input than there would be on any other number of devices that this has been done to in our world (Mackie, etc). 

That said, even though I put a DC input on it, I rarely use it.  I run it off AC whenever available and switch it over to DC if there is none available, but I'm straining to think of a time since the mod was done a year and a half ago where there was no AC available and I actually had to do that.  I could just run it off DC all the time, but it seems like extra and unneccessary strain on my cart battery when there is seemingly always AC power around for lights, video monitors, etc.