Very Scary Scam Ad

I have no idea how these idiots got hold of me, but check this out (and do not respond to them). I hadn't seen this one before; mispellings and bizarre language are left intact...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAYME FILM PRODCUTION CONTRACT

Dear Applicant,

We will be coming to your area for a shoot (January 11th - 15th 2012) for a motion picture production.

We are not to disclose the script or more details concerning the shoot until when we believe it is safe to do so, this is due to piracy, if you are not comfortable working with us this way pls do not bother to respond to this email message.

* You agree to be available to work during the filming period (“the Shoot”) from (January 11th - 15th 2012).

* You agree to give over any rights you may have in the finished film to Jayme film production. This will allow us to distribute the film in any and every way we can.

* We will aim to ensure that working days are not longer than 10 hours.

* We will do our best to ensure your health, safety and welfare during the shoot.

* We will have public liability insurance to cover you during the shoot.

* We will provide you with food and refreshments throughout the shoot. We will liaise with you over your travel arrangements to and from the sand either provides transport or pay travel expenses which we need to agree in advance.

* We will need you to be there in person and be really ready to work.

HERE IS OUR CONTRACT OFFER:

- Salary ($300 per day)

- Free Accommodation,

- Transportation allowance.

Interested applicants guarantee that:

1. To be available for the shoot between January 11th - 15th 2012.

2. To participate in a total of HOURS of Work and/or technical assistance, otherwise stated prior to the shoot.

3. To be loyal and be ready to work on set with the crew.

We will send your payment for the first day and Transportation allowance to the location immediately you accept the offer. The Location will be disclosed as soon as we finalize all necessary procedure.

Only interested applicants should pls reply to this message, we have limited vacancy for this job as there are a lot of talents around.

IMPORTANT: Sponsor for this production has agreed to send out payment prior the shoot date so as to facilitate workers to be versatile and be ready for the job. Shoot starts January 11th - 15th 2012.

I am putting to your notice that the payment is ready. The Sponsor will send you an overpayment (For example if they send $1500, you will deduct $350 and send the remaining balance to an address we will provide). This payment will cover your first day of work ($300) and transportation allowance ($50).

The remaining funds will be used for the necessary payment required to make the shoot/production a success, secure the location, costume, and rights which will be paid by the Production supervisor.

we have decided to USE THIS MEANS BECAUSE the Production supervisor travels around a lot and its hard for him to receive payment cause of his unstable location and that was why we have decided to add his fee to your payment so that you can send it to him as soon as you have your own payment (PLEASE TAKE NOTE).

Note: We are a new Production company, we are working on our website and a lot of other things...We have dreams and aspire to hit Hollywood big time!!! But life is a hurdle, we are taking one step at a time, we hope you are ready to achieve and live the Hollywood dream with us.

If you accept this offer, send in the following information:

Full names:

Full Address (No P. O. Box):

City and state:

Zip code:

Phone number:

Post you are interested in:

We need your full address because we work with UPS and FedEx, both companies do not deliver to P. O. box. By sending your info, you are CONFIRMING that You are interested in this offer, we shall make arrangements for your payments and notify you when it is sent.

Thanks.

Management.

Note: production starts on January 11th - 15th 2012, Location will be disclosed by few days to the first day of production.

Thanks for your time.

HR.

Jayme film production

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering a response:

Thank you so much for your very generous offer. Would it be possible for me to send you more than $1500? Your project sounds so exciting, I feel compelled to invest at least $20,000 or more in it. Would you accept cash? My bank is in Nigeria, and I can send a cashier's check immediately. I can also remit via PayPal through my office in Moscow, but that might take a couple of extra days. I would expect at least 5% of the net profits sometime in the next five or six years.

Can the transportation allowance be upgraded to Business Class? I'd be willing to send you some more funds for the upgrade; I much prefer traveling that way. Coach is such a drag, and I love the free Wi-Fi and extra legroom in Business Class. Plus, I don't know about you, but every time I fly Coach, I either get stuck next to a screaming baby, or a giant fat woman. Once, I swear, it was a giant fat woman holding a screaming baby. I think it might have been Oprah (the woman, not the baby), but I wasn't sure, because I tried hard to ignore her. I mean who does she think she is, anyway? Maybe I should ship all my equipment to your location ahead of time -- I have a lot of recording gear that I'm sure will be helpful to your production, and I'd just as soon ship it before I depart. The more I think about it, the more I think that's a good idea. I'll start boxing it all up now.

I'm so happy to see how companies like yours can truly make the Hollywood Dream come true! I'm sitting by my mailbox, praying for a speedy response, and looking forward to hitting the big time. Unlike your production supervisor, I have a stable location -- but be warned that I'm personally very unstable. I don't expect this will be a problem on production, though my hands to shake a lot when I fade the knobs up and down, and sometimes I uncontrollably hit the stop button during takes, but this only happens about half the time. When the medication's working, the shaking stops, but I tend to dose off. If you do long takes, I don't think this will be a problem. I mean, I can literally do this job in my sleep -- that's how good I am at my craft.

By the way, I do have a P.O. Box, but it's a really large P.O. Box -- so large, in fact, that I literally live inside it! No, really, I do! It's a little cramped, what with the cat, the litterbox, my 12,000 CDs, my sound gear, and so on, but I get by. I hope this won't be a problem. I'm there all the time, so believe me, I am an honest person. (Well, at least when I'm inside the box. After all, it's against the law to commit crimes inside a Post Office, and I wouldn't want to run afoul of the USPS, being a big fan of Ben Franklin, who is like a god to me. Not "the" God, just "a" god. I mean, we're talking about the guy who invented Daylight Savings Time! Franklin was a genius! And he had a great look for a fat, bald guy in 1776. And by that, I mean the musical, which was truly a delight.)

I'm on pins and needles with excitement! Thanks so much for your invitation, and I look forward to being part of your very creative crew (all of whom I hope will also share in the joys and riches of your amazing film). I'm already clearing a space on my mantlepiece (actually, one edge of the P.O. Box) for my Oscar!

Yours Truly,

A Very Hard-Working Mixer.

P.S. Please make sure you include the Subway Tuna on at least one of our meal days.

P.P.S. I hope you'll be shooting on the Red Epic. It has 5K! It's the best camera!

What's scary about that? ???

Well, it's scary that the scam artists are actually targeting a specific group of users: sound mixers looking for work!

Low-budget indie people often have the reputation of being cheap and sleazy; it's sad that they're now getting infiltrated by con artists as well. And on top of that... a crappy rate! ^_^ (This is kinda like the old Woody Allen routine about the bad restaurant: "the food is awful, the prices are high, the waiters are rude, the service is atrocious... and such small portions!")

I wasn't sure if I had seen this exact letter (I did a quick search but didn't see it in the last six months), but I figured it was worth sharing. I haven't sent the response yet; I figure it needs more jokes, plus I have to figure out whose name to sign it to...

--Marc W.

Thanks for the email address. They have now become the lucky recipient of 1000's of spam emails. ;)

Is there another honey-pot website out there now? I had previously used a couple sites where you could add email addresses to massive spammer lists (one test I did got hit with as much as 2000 spams DAILY until I black-holed that address) but it seems that all those sites I used to use are gone now. One was called SignMeUpForSpam.com, IIRC.

Is there another honey-pot website out there now? I had previously used a couple sites where you could add email addresses to massive spammer lists (one test I did got hit with as much as 2000 spams DAILY until I black-holed that address) but it seems that all those sites I used to use are gone now. One was called SignMeUpForSpam.com, IIRC.

I have a friend who is a computer tech and I just forwarded him the email. I'm not sure which site he sent it to but he assured it would be done. ;)

I had previously used a couple sites where you could add email addresses to massive spammer lists (one test I did got hit with as much as 2000 spams DAILY until I black-holed that address) but it seems that all those sites I used to use are gone now. One was called SignMeUpForSpam.com, IIRC.

This sounds like the 2011 equivalent of pouring sugar in somebody's gas tank. I dunno... I'm inclined to ignore them and hope that karma and the cosmos will take care of morons like this.

--Marc W.

This sounds like the 2011 equivalent of pouring sugar in somebody's gas tank. I dunno... I'm inclined to ignore them and hope that karma and the cosmos will take care of morons like this.

--Marc W.

True. But, if you spam their email then most likely they will have to close it out and therefore not be able to see if any poor sucker responded to them. It's pretty much fighting spam with spam.

Mythbusters actually disproved that sugar trick, at least with an old GM motor that was very hard to kill.

I have absolutely NO moral problems with signing up spammers to receive lots and lots of their own dreck. Chances are, that the receiving address would only be active for a couple days anyway. But with this method, you are also dealing a blow to the other spammers that you are using, by polluting their lists with non-buyer and bad (when they are closed down) or fake addresses, thus reducing the value OF said list for future sales. I also have no problem with that either.

There is a special circle in Hell for spammers, even lower than for insurance or used car salesmen.

Yeah this one sounds familiar. I actually had some guy out of england try to pull this on me and another guy I work with here in town. Actually it was worse because he was more patient and came off as a legitimate client for a couple of days as we were going back and forth ironing out shoot details, and pricing. Then he hit us with that payment garbage sending up all kind of red flags,

One of my mixer friends got a similar email last year. They held off on telling him the "we will overpay you" part, until a check showed up at his house with a letter included about how he had to send a check to somebody else to rent a location or something. Up until that point he wrote off the oddities as language barriers. IIRC the job was for a South American fashion magazine or something. Kind of clever I suppose when the person is holding a big check in their hand that they didn't expect.

He somehow knew they found him through Mandy. I don't know if he applied for a vague job, or they just contacted him out of the database of mixers. I got a vague fishing email that sounded like the same people, but was on a long job at the time and didn't think much about it.