Mag Mini Sound Cart 3.0

Jan McL

An ongoing topic over the winter, as I proceed toward downsizing the main cart.

Drill down (ahem) into some detail in the video relative to accessorizing and punching holes in the shelves, including putting some handles on the nose end for going up stairs, and a small nose-end shelf as a phone charging station. Got an iPhone charging cable, but hope to get donations of Blackberry and a couple other phone charging cables (got any extras laying around?) to plug in to the external AC option I opted for:

6525206661_1faa9d92e7.jpg

The AD255 and clip board fit just right:

6525209753_bc97c878a7.jpg

Um-hm.

Tomorrow, the re-wire with advices from John Garrett in mind (thanks for the consult, John).

Whoo-hoo: Sound Cart 3.0 sports four pneumatic wheels (2x8" smart, and 2x10" dumb). Smoother riding! Yeah! Let's roll!

-- Jan

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on Mag Mini Cart 3.0 and the changeover from Rubbermade to the Gemini Jr. as follow cart.

Back of cart:

6708976353_b71d8fe05d_z.jpg

Front of cart:

6708968539_6a304dd3ec_z.jpg

Found 3" x 16" x 21" of unused space that I've contacted Rackman to noodle a sliding pull-out arm upon which to store the tarp:

6708742565_a460380315_z.jpg

Found another 6" x 12" x 6.5" space I'm hoping Rackman can fill with a custom, analog, top-mounted sliding drawer:

6708738761_a1cdb97139_z.jpg

Extant hardware from the Jr. migrated as seamlessly as I'd hoped.

Reflect on using the Jr. as follow, and find I've two more rack spaces available into which I can put a 2U 10"-deep drawer from the front and a 1U, six-outlet, fuse-protected power strip in the back to power battery charging station, etc. May ask Rackman if they can make me the 2U drawer in aluminum since I now cringe every time I touch a steel drawer.

In the alternative, could mount a power strip under the topmost shelf and thereby have use of the full two RU's depth. The AC would certainly be more accessible that way.

Many potential ways to go here.

There's also a question of lighting for it. DC lighting would be nice for early morning setup / late night breakdown. I have a Squid Light, but... Worthwhile to set up an LED strip --> NP-1 caddy or even use the two RU's for the spare DC distro, which would require carrying the SLA Pelican. I'm waiting to discuss these possibilities with my utility later this week.

Wonder if the sewer pipe Zeppelin holder will fit on the Jr., and where (thanks again for that Mr. Sharman), and all the other placement logistics previously clear and now--done correctly--subject to improvement.

Spend significant time looking and thinking.

-- Jan

Hey, Jason,

They are stereo mic bars mounted to 3-piece Manfrotto Extension Pole:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546540-REG/Manfrotto_099B_3_Section_Extension_Pole_35.html

What I like is they are light, sturdy, and mount at the bottom to a 5/8" spud, equally sturdy, etc., and easy to attach.

WindTech quick releases everywhere on the antennas.

:)

-- Jan

OK, Jeff: this one's for you:

6760859051_7b07d8d98f_z.jpg

Still wait for Terry at Rackman to get back to me re: the custom drawer and tarp-hanging device, but other than that, darned thing's darned near finished.

Pressure's on since it's got work 2/5...

Please note pink valve covers on wheels and Lav-Rod cart right. We get a lot of mileage out of that Lav-Rod, let me tell ya.

Follow cart-in-progress to follow next week.

-- Jan

Hey, Andy,

While I stand from time to time (mostly on short-term projects or during energetic, demanding mixes), I use a tall director's chair for the long haul. The low angle of the shot makes the cart look taller than it is I think.

Glad I chose cart work early on.

Your bag looks totally doable though (based on pics from your site).

-- Jan

6765696021_80943f85f0.jpg

Finally got the cappuccino machine installed.

Uncertain whether the wine-colored canvas bag will remain snapped to the rack. Trying it out. Had it made for the now-defunct upright cart project. It slides a bit left or right to more easily reveal the ZPX chargers and may act as a buffer against liquids and particles.

-- Jan