A Hero gone today.... In a way, one of us... from stage to president, back to stage..

afewmoreyears

If you are a human with any sense, today is a sad day.... The world lost a Hero...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/opinion/avlon-vaclav-havel/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

and:

http://www.latimes.c...0,4502559.story

Vaclav Havel, former Czech president....

"Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred," Havel famously said. It became his revolutionary motto which he said he always strove to live by.

An avowed peacenik whose heroes included rockers such as Frank Zappa, he never quite shed his flower-child past and often signed his name with a small heart as a flourish.

"Like millions around the world, I was inspired by his words and leadership. ... Vaclav Havel was a friend to America and to all who strive for freedom and dignity, and his words will echo through the ages," U.S. President Barack Obama said in a statement.

Former U.S. President George W. Bush described Havel as a "dignified, charming, humble, determined man" who "suffered much in the cause of freedom and became one of its greatest heroes."

But in his typically understated way, Havel expressed more modest wishes for how history would remember him.

"I would be glad if it was felt that I have done something generally useful," he said. "I don't care much about personal fame or popularity. I would be satisfied with the feeling that I had a chance to help with something in general, something good. That history gave me that chance."

For us with close family ties to Czech, it's an even sadder day..... We loved him.... We will miss him... He helped change the world... A Black flag now flies over Prague castle today... A stark reminder of the importance of the passing of this great man...

For the first time in years I am not at our home in Czech for the Winter.... wish I was there now.... I miss it there...... Now more than ever... I will have a drink of Slivovice in his honer today... Sad day for me in many ways...

http://www.latimes.c...0,4502559.story

Agreed Rado... I normally don't care for most of them...

The whole Czech country along with Prague is really a very nice place. I always have a great time there... always.... I never seem to get tired of things there... Countryside, people,food, drinks their culture... all top notch... A long history of very proud people...

By the way, the Czech motion picture industry before the war was as good or arguably BETTER than that of the US ... Their skills technically, in writing, wardrobe work, acting, sets and art direction overall finished products were in my opinion, stellar. I watch their old movies and I can tell you, at that time we had nothing on them... With the war and it's aftermath, the whole thing took a huge step sideways.... It was not the most important thing going on at that time.... Great old movies indeed..

You guys were lucky to have him when you had him. I wish we had an American Havel now. An honorable man.

phil p

I only had half of him (only half my family is Czech) LOL....

I think if people could only think more like Mr. Havel we could have many worthy people... It is the concept of the whole thing that politicians need to grasp.

Post World War communist time was not bad for Cinema in Czechoslovakia.

It gave us IMHO the best animators and puppeteers,

It gave us Milosh Forman.

Agreed Rado... I normally don't care for most of them...

The whole Czech country along with Prague is really a very nice place. I always have a great time there... always.... I never seem to get tired of things there... Countryside, people,food, drinks their culture... all top notch... A long history of very proud people...

By the way, the Czech motion picture industry before the war was as good or arguably BETTER than that of the US ... Their skills technically, in writing, wardrobe work, acting, sets and art direction overall finished products were in my opinion, stellar. I watch their old movies and I can tell you, at that time we had nothing on them... With the war and it's aftermath, the whole thing took a huge step sideways.... It was not the most important thing going on at that time.... Great old movies indeed..

Spent many months in the mid-nineties working in the Czech Republic, loved every minute. Often joked, over pivo, that we (in the states had an actor as president, The Czechs had a playwright... His resignation over the split was admiral, his acceptance of the presidency after the split also.

Vachku, na shledenou....