Whats the best Mixer for $3000?

AdamBoston

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean really, how could you not go the Nomad route here if you are going to pull the trigger on a mixer..... I would not think twice about getting two birds for the price of one really with the Nomad purchase.... A little more, yes.... but I would some how, some way pony up the extra few bucks and do yourself a big favor in the process... ^_^

Thanks for the replies yall...

Nomad does look perrty enticing, but the 552 seems a bit more reliable.

Has anyone heard of problems with Nomad?

What are your purposes for the mixer? And have you also budgeted money for the accessories you will need? Cables, bag, harness, etc.

"What are your purposes for the mixer? And have you also budgeted money for the accessories you will need? Cables, bag, harness, etc."

I am interested in working in reality and on features, but am hoping to use it mainly on documentaries and lower budget commercials in the near future.

My hopes were to spend another 3 to 4 grand on accessories.

I mean really, how could you not go the Nomad route here if you are going to pull the trigger on a mixer..... I would not think twice about getting two birds for the price of one really with the Nomad purchase.... A little more, yes.... but I would some how, some way pony up the extra few bucks and do yourself a big favor in the process... ^_^

I agree Nomad will give you the greatest bang for you buck.

Nomad gives you the most input channels and the most flexible output routing than any other ENG field mixer.

Plus even if you go for the 4 track recorder Nomad gives you the ability to upgrade to more tracks when you need / can afford it in the future. Nomad will also give you full TC ability including a TC generator.

Adam,

I love Sound Devices products and the company, I own and respect their gear. It's always worked for me... but they have had a few "issues" with the 552 as well..... It's "life" regarding developmental electronics... Things come out, they tweak, update and continue to do so to this day...When someone, anyone comes out with a product and it has NO issues... let me know.... until then, that Nomad and it's crew of engineers seem to be on the trail of a very nice, reliable and super versatile mixer/recording device...

And, at a price point that is reasonably fair and highly competitive with other options on the market... options that in most cases don't compare well in what is actually offered overall... Size and weight to name 2 tiny ones!!!

They still as they have said themselves, have work to do to get all the options offered up and going. But they have been honest in their desire to do so, and their admission all is not yet on the table... ready to eat.. but it's in the oven and cooking...

If I were you, I would get a Nomad, learn it, and grow with it.... expand it as you need more... in three years, you will be happy you went that route...

The 552 is a mixer with a Kind of "back up" recorder on board....Not bad at all... But that Nomad is so much more.... real nice recorder and a real nice mixer.... At least that is how I view the situation...

Since I am nicely geared up, I will grab a Nomad as well.... but I will wait a few months to do so.... I am in no hurry...

“Nomad seems to have a few kinks to work out, but will eventually be a great tool. The 552 is less versatile, but it works.”

The roll out of Nomad has been almost perfect or even “Kink” free.

The basic Nomad feature set with Zaxnet wireless IFB, time code transmission and wireless remote control is now shipping. Nomad as it is shipping today offers a feature set that far exceeds the capabilities of all current offerings. Audio inputs with 135dB dynamic range and “Never Clip” puts Nomad into a league of its own.

The comparison to the 552 is not a very good one for many reasons. It should be pointed out that Nomad is a high resolution recorder with 117dB dynamic range an each of its 10 analog inputs. The 552 is a mixer with a 2 channel lower resolution backup recording.

I would think that every Nomad user would currently define Nomad as “a great tool”.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

Glenn,

Does the Nomad need WIFI amp and special antenna for the IFB or the provided setup is near optimum performance?

Thanks

“Nomad seems to have a few kinks to work out, but will eventually be a great tool. The 552 is less versatile, but it works.”

The basic Nomad feature set with Zaxnet wireless IFB, time code transmission and wireless remote control is now shipping. Nomad as it is shipping today offers a feature set that far exceeds the capabilities of all current offerings. Audio inputs with 135dB dynamic range and “Never Clip” puts Nomad into a league of its own.

The comparison to the 552 is not a very good one for many reasons. It should be pointed out that Nomad is a high resolution recorder with 117dB dynamic range an each of its 10 analog inputs. The 552 is a mixer with a 2 channel low resolution backup recording.

I would think that every Nomad user would currently define Nomad as “a great tool”.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

No wifi amp is required for bag use. The Zaxnet output is about 100mw and the range is excellent for both IFB and timecode transmission. The ERX100 is a quad diversity receiver so it's ability to receive the IFB signal without dropouts is excellent even at the 100mw power level.

If nomad is used on a sound cart an amp and directional antenna can be added for extended range.

I think the best part of this is that the IFB is on 2.4 ghz so there is no interaction with UHF wireless. I hope to get some feedback on the IFB audio quality from Nomad. I think many will be very surprised at the difference from analog fm to our fully integrated digital system .

Glenn

Listened to my ERX's again today after a while of not having used them, and I think there was an IFB option update in that time, maybe a ERX one too - the units sound better, and seem to have more level than before. Has there been an update along these lines or am I just experiencing a Christmas-related reduction in grumpiness? :)

Glenn before I pull the trigger on a Nomad I was wondering if you ever tested the Nomad next to Lectrosonics wireless or RF measuring device?

Is there any RF garbage from the Nomad when it records?

I understand you are not interested in such a test considering you yourself manufacture and sale wireless but I think some Nomad users would want to use Nomad with Lectrosonics.

Thank You.

No wifi amp is required for bag use. The Zaxnet output is about 100mw and the range is excellent for both IFB and timecode transmission. The ERX100 is a quad diversity receiver so it's ability to receive the IFB signal without dropouts is excellent even at the 100mw power level.

If nomad is used on a sound cart an amp and directional antenna can be added for extended range.

I think the best part of this is that the IFB is on 2.4 ghz so there is no interaction with UHF wireless. I hope to get some feedback on the IFB audio quality from Nomad. I think many will be very surprised at the difference from analog fm to our fully integrated digital system .

Glenn

The comparison to the 552 is not a very good one for many reasons. It should be pointed out that Nomad is a high resolution recorder with 117dB dynamic range an each of its 10 analog inputs. The 552 is a mixer with a 2 channel low resolution backup recording.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

552 records at 24 bit up to 96k. Is that now considered "low resolution"?

phil p

Glenn is referring to Dynamic Range and Self Noise,

I think we should be careful referring to 552 as a "Low Resolution Recorder"

Back in November a producer of a cooking channel show I was working on was very unhappy that I was using a 552.

Some sound guy in NYC told him that the sound quality is not very good.

I laughed and assured him 552 recording is more then enough for broadcasting...

552 records at 24 bit up to 96k. Is that now considered "low resolution"?

phil p