Sony PDW-F800 XD cam return audio 5 pin XLR output

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there's a fix or menu setting adjustment for this problem so it doesn't occur?

Problem: A drop in return audio level drop when cam op hits record.

What happened is this. I sent tone from my SD552 mixer to cam via snake cable and set levels.

Then on SD552, engaged return A and set return audio levels to "0" to match what I was sending, all good.

Sit down for interview, cam op hits record and the return audio level drops by about 10-15db, probably more.

So I had to calibrate return audio while the cam was rolling. Then of course when cam stops recording, the return audio level raises and nearly blows my head off.

I'm thinking its related to PB/EE mode but I couldn't find anything in the camera's manual confirming this.

There's nothing in the audio menu's either.

The cam op did not know either but he wants to find out too in case his camera needs attention and also because every soundie he works with will have the same complaint (I'm the second one so far apparently!!).

It must be a setting in the cam so if anyone knows what it is, please tell me.

A different F800 I worked with last week did not do this and of course the old digibeta's never did this either.

IMO, the return doesn't sound great either, kinda phasey (hard to describe), anyone else think so too?

Listening to the direct signal in the 552 with my Schoeps CMC6/MK41 sounded beautiful ofcourse.

Thanks

Peter Mega

Actually you do get a split (if you mean panning ch1 to left and ch2 to right).

MAINTENANCE menu, page 06: HEADPHONE OUT (MONO / STEREO).

-Tapio, PDW-700 owner. :)

Dear Tapio,

Do you mean that on all HDCAM (750, 790, 900) and (maybe DSR series), you can have a stereo return from earphone? (I always thought that it was impossible and was compelled to monitor either channel 1, channel 2 or the mono mix). That would be a revolution for me (unfortunately I can't find the menu "page 06: HEADPHONE OUT (MONO / STEREO)" in the user guide of the F900).

Thxs in advance,

Best

Simon

Simon,

unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the F900 but all XDCAM models seem have that option included. The F900 didn't have any mention for the mono / stereo option (there seems to be no audio menu whatsoever...) so I'm afraid it's mono output only.

I have used the 5pin XLR out for live shots a few times (I have a 5pin XLR -> 2 x 3pin XLR cable) and never had the problem with audio levels described before. The particular camera body might propably need a quick trip back to service dept. for a checkup.

The older DVCAM DSR-models do indeed have two RCA outs with "consumer" line level output and channels separated.

What I would like my XDCAM to have is an option to sum channels 3 & 4 to 1 & 2 for monitoring purposes. Now I have to decide whether I want to listen either 1&2 or 3&4 and it can become a bit annoying when trying to monitor four wireless microphones at the same time while shooting.. :)

-Tapio

Same issue from the HP out also?

Eric

I didn't get the opportunity to test the headphone out on these particular days but I will try to next time.

I worked a show with two XDCam's one was fine but the other did exactly as you described. I could not figure out how to fix it.

Same for me which tells me its gotta be a camera setting, not a fault.

Simon,

unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the F900 but all XDCAM models seem have that option included. The F900 didn't have any mention for the mono / stereo option (there seems to be no audio menu whatsoever...) so I'm afraid it's mono output only.

I have used the 5pin XLR out for live shots a few times (I have a 5pin XLR -> 2 x 3pin XLR cable) and never had the problem with audio levels described before. The particular camera body might propably need a quick trip back to service dept. for a checkup.

The older DVCAM DSR-models do indeed have two RCA outs with "consumer" line level output and channels separated.

What I would like my XDCAM to have is an option to sum channels 3 & 4 to 1 & 2 for monitoring purposes. Now I have to decide whether I want to listen either 1&2 or 3&4 and it can become a bit annoying when trying to monitor four wireless microphones at the same time while shooting.. :)

-Tapio

I doubt the camera needs a check up since other guys here mention the same issue.

The "consumer level" we can deal with, its the sudden drop in level when cam records is the problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone and if anyone finds the solution or menu setting, please let us know.

Cheers

Peter Mega

Hold in the menu knob while turning the menu switch on to get to the top menu.

Go to "Operation"

There's a "REC AUDIO OUT" on setting on the POWER SAVE page.

See if toggling that helps.

Many Thanks John,

Will give that a try on my next XD shoot in January 2012!!

Hope you all have a Bonza Xmas and New Year!!

Be safe

Cheers

Peter Mega

• 3 weeks later...

Hold in the menu knob while turning the menu switch on to get to the top menu.

Go to "Operation"

There's a "REC AUDIO OUT" on setting on the POWER SAVE page.

See if toggling that helps.

The Steig's comes through with the goods!!

I can confirm that this info is correct and solves the issue.

The cam should be in EE mode in the REC AUDIO OUT page.

Thanks John

Cheers

Peter Mega

• 2 months later...

Could anyone tell me the wiring of the 5 pin out? Having a bit of trouble finding the information. I've got a five pin extension cable not wired properly that I'd like to have on hand. I don't have a camera or 5 pin to dual xlr on hand to test either.

Thanks

The 5 pin XLR wiring, for 2 balanced audio channels, has been pretty standard across the industry for many years. I'd start with that.

haha. If i would have just omitted sony, pw800, ect it would have been the first search result.