ERIC HELP!!! Sennheiser G3 transmitter plug wiring...

cmassey

pampa: "..i am a bit confused by the terminology shield/ground?. "

you are charging your clients too much.

" senny G2Tx) :blink:

that is soooo cutsie... >:(

" Any special considerations for this cable? "

err... like what ?

there isn't a lot to be confused over...

Sorry senator, english it's not my first language that is why i ask for the colour code method to make sure i don't miss understand....

Hey Eric!!!

Ok i know that this has been covered but i can't seem to wrap my mind around this wiring...i am a bit confused by the terminology shield/ground?...If you could please refer as red (hot) white (cold) and ground :)

I am about to make a TA3 (SD302 tape out) to locking TRS (for senny G2Tx) and want to make sure i do it right. I want the sum of both L&R to make a mono feed for scratch audio.

Also i am making the cable for the camera end (black magic pocket camera) locking TRS to standard TRS. Any special considerations for this cable?

Thanks!

p.s: I need it for tomorrow ;)

Tape out to G2

TA3: 

pin one: ground

pin 2: red

pin 3: white

TRS:

tip: ground

ring: red+ white

sleeve: Ground

RX to Black magic.

Locking TRS:

tip: red + white

ring: ground

sleeve: ground

Standard TRS

tip: red

ring: white

sleeve: ground

" senny G2Tx) :blink:

that is soooo cutsie... >:(

I've fallen foul of this before.  

Mike, with respect, may I ask what it is you dislike so much about abbreviations like "senny", "lectro" etc?  I don't see any real issue with it myself.

If I've mistakenly interpretted a good humoured jab as something else then I apologise :).

Thanks all!!!

SeeKai specially (thanks so much for the clarity of your post)!!! ...and Senator for being Senator....JW is a great place despite all personalities ;)

Long live JW and its members for such a willingness for sharing and helping

No worries pal.  I had similar help from this part of the forum a year or two back (currently cringing at some of my old comments) and now I have something of a cable factory on the go in my garage.  Don't forget to have fun with it!

Best,

S.

Hey SeeKai,

I just finished soldering the cables. Unfortunately I don't have the camera with me so i tested with my SD302 and a recorder. I noticed that when i send tone (-20) the level is very low on the recorder (around -35). Is this normal?...the AF reading on the Rx&Tx seems fine (just over the middle) but the level on the recorder (at max) is very low.

Settings:

G2 Tx (sensitivity: -10)  

G2 Rx (AF out: +12)

Recorder (line level input)

Thanks again for your help!...will post pics later ;)

You won't have any fun trying to get a g2 to drive a line level input.  Fortunately for you the black magic pocket camera is an unbalanced stereo microphone level input, so you should be fine using it with the camera.

Hey SeeKai,

I just finished soldering the cables. Unfortunately I don't have the camera with me so i tested with my SD302 and a recorder. I noticed that when i send tone (-20) the level is very low on the recorder (around -35). Is this normal?...the AF reading on the Rx&Tx seems fine (just over the middle) but the level on the recorder (at max) is very low.

Settings:

G2 Tx (sensitivity: -10)  

G2 Rx (AF out: +12)

Recorder (line level input)

Thanks again for your help!...will post pics later ;)

Set the recorder to mic level and lower the rx output level to -20 and the recorder input level to the same -20 setting and you should be fine.

I've fallen foul of this before.  

Mike, with respect, may I ask what it is you dislike so much about abbreviations like "senny", "lectro" etc?  I don't see any real issue with it myself.

If I've mistakenly interpretted a good humoured jab as something else then I apologise :).

Disregard 99% of Senators ramblings. Old Saying: "An empty barrel makes the most noise."

The G2/3 EK100 portable receiver @ line level (AF out +12) is a little anemic for some +4dB inputs.  -18 or -12 yeilds adequate gain for typical mic level inputs. BTW, the EK100 output is unbalanced, so the output cable's XLR pins 1 and 3 must be tied together for either mic or line levels, same if using a 1/4" TRS plug.. ring and sleeve tied together.

Also, as I recall, when summing the 302's tape out L/R for mono, SD recommends putting 10k ohm resistors in-line.

PS- You can paint them if the colors bother you.

• 5 years later...

My church has a Sennheiser SK100 system.  The wires were accidentally pulled out of the 3.5 mm microphone jack.  I need to solder them back in the connector, however I want to make sure that they are properly wired to the microphone jack.  Should the red wire be soldered to the tip of the jack and the blue wire soldered to the sleeve or should the blue wire also be soldered to the ring? 

What microphone?

For the G2,3,4 SK100 bodypack transmitter, and assuming the Red wire is (+) 'hot', it is connected to the 3.5mm TRS plug's TIP terminal. Assuming the Blue wire is for bias power, that would also be connected to the TIP terminal. The cable shield is connected to the SLEEVE/GROUND and the RING.

To input an unbalanced -10dB line-level signal into the SP100 Tx (transmitter) from mixers and such, the (+) hot wire is connected to the RING terminal. The cable's shield is connected to the SLEEVE/GROUND and the TIP.

btw, correct English audio tech terminology: the "Plug" is the male connector  The "Jack" is the female connector on the Tx. (strange as it sounds, Jack is a female)

SK 100 mic-line input. smpng.png

• 1 year later...

is the voltage from the transmitter a concern when feeding mic level signal via the XLR? (I'm guessing there is no voltage on the line/ring, but have not tested yet). If it is a concern, how would one wire a capacitor/diode or whatever is needed to block the voltage?

Thank you.

On the SD's Tape out TA3 connector, connect, both pins 2 and 3 to the 3.5mm TRS mini plug's 'Ring' terminal. Connect the cable's shield to Pin1 on the TA3 and to the 'Sleeve' and 'Tip' on the 3.5mm TRS mini-plug. This assumes the SD's Tape out is -10dB nominal.  If the SD's TA3 is set to mic level, reverse the mini-plug's Ring/Tip wiring.

I am not familiar with the black magic pocket camera. the input is probably mic level so you will need 20 or 30dB line to mic attenuation.

• 11 months later...

Hi Eric, so, I want to send a mix out(band/dj) thru my ew100 G3 body pack transmitter, to my camera, so I don’t have all the noise and echo, is it possible and if so, what type of cable I need to find/build or purchase?, thank you in advance!

8 hours ago, Zobeck said:

Hi Eric, so, I want to send a mix out(band/dj) thru my ew100 G3 body pack transmitter, to my camera, so I don’t have all the noise and echo, is it possible and if so, what type of cable I need to find/build or purchase?, thank you in advance!

Eric is not here anymore, but yes you can do that, it is possible. The cable type depends on your equipment. 

If your DJ mixer has RCA (aka, phono) output connectors, you need an adapter cable that has Left and Right RCA plugs on one end and a 3.5 mm mini-plug (locking or non-locking)  on the other, to feed the SK-100 body-pack transmitter (Tx). The left and right connections need to be wired the the 'RING' conductor of the mini-plug to feed the Txr. The mini-plug's TIP terminal must be connected to the shield/ground. Anyone with soldering skills or the usual suspect shops can make this cable or may have one pre-made,  The EK-100  portable receivers come with XLR and mini-plug cables to feed mic level to a cam or recorder.

RIP Eric, you are not forgotten.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:19 AM, Constantin said:

Eric is not here anymore, but yes you can do that, it is possible. The cable type depends on your equipment. 

Hi Constantin, thank you on your reply, and sorry to hear that Eric is no longer with us!😢, will try to do a couple pf cables on my own to make it work, normally I get the audio from the mainboard of the sound sistem(mixing board), normally I use either XLR ot 1/4” plug, and sometimes, I even get it straigt out of the speaker out, as long as the speakers are self powered of course!

On 3/4/2022 at 11:52 AM, Rick Reineke said:

If your DJ mixer has RCA (aka, phono) output connectors, you need an adapter cable that has Left and Right RCA plugs on one end and a 3.5 mm mini-plug (locking or non-locking)  on the other, to feed the SK-100 body-pack transmitter (Tx). The left and right connections need to be wired the the 'RING' conductor of the mini-plug to feed the Txr. The mini-plug's TIP terminal must be connected to the shield/ground. Anyone with soldering skills or the usual suspect shops can make this cable or may have one pre-made,  The EK-100  portable receivers come with XLR and mini-plug cables to feed mic level to a cam or recorder.

RIP Eric, you are not forgotten.

Thank you Rick!, it is a shame that Eric is no longer with us! RIP Eric, thatnks for the advice, will try to make me some cables!