Nomad RF block 21 and 24

Michael McQueen

so I was requested by Rado to do a test of frequency scans on block 21 with my Nomad on and off, I did the same with block 24.

Bloc 24 with Nomad powered off

nomad-blk24-off.jpg

Block 24 with Nomad powered up

nomad-blk24-on.jpg

Block 21 with Nomad powered off

nomad-blk21-off.jpg

Block 21 with Nomad powered on

nomad-blk21-on.jpg

nothing special done with this test. bag was sitting on my kitchen counter, Nomad switch off, turned on BDS and powered up receivers and did a scan. Then turned on Nomad and re-scanned. Looks to be some RF in block 21 after the power up. Not sure if Glenn has anything scientific for this. My SRa's are fairly close to the unit as you can tell from the photos and i could move them away by a good inch or so. But honestly, I haven't had any dropouts from general usage, even while being in NYC last week, which was quite the ugly scan.

nyc-blk21.jpg

Whoa, nothing else on in the bag? Are the SRas and the Nomad being powered by the same battery feed? Any RF filters in that feed? If so, what happens when you power the SRas on a separate battery or power supply, in that same position? I see that the RX is positioned over the Nomad's meter--does the spray change if the RX is positioned over the other end (left) of the recorder? The Zaxnet aspect of your Nomad wasn't fired up, was it?

thanks for the tests dude!

phil p

I'll redo some more testing in the coming days. Didn't have much time to mess with it today.

Rescan with:

Sra's own power

Own power moved more way from bag(how far to get clean scan)

Bag power but out of bag and how far to get clean scan

And I'd be interested in what zax rx's are getting too.

Alright. I'm just gonna ask because I don't understand.

Why would a recorder affect RF? What is in it that causes this issue?

Just about every peice of electronics can potential cause RFI. It's just when electricity is passing through any medium it creates a electromagnetic field. Even though it is relatively very weak in high end recorders, the use of highly sensitive receivers used right next to any source of RFI will probably show it.

When you hear about recorders with internal HDD's having relatively more RFI than solid state recorders it is likely because the electric motor that spins the platter in the HDD is actually using a magnetic field to make the platter spin, thus emitting more RF than a recorder that didn't have to spin up a little electric motor.

All digital mixers and recorders use internal RF frequency signals to move data within the unit. It is the RF energy created by these signals that causes interference when the RF energy is allowed to radiate either from the case itself or from cables pluged into the case.

Zaxcoms Nomad case design and its connections to external cables are all designed with RF supression in mind. And we have no complaints of any excessive RF radiation to date.

The best thing that anyone can do is to seperate any digital product from receiver antennas by as great a distance as possible. Even 6 inches can be a big help over nothing.

The Zaxnet 2.4 GHz signal has a high pass filter so interference to UHF radios is very unlikely.

Glenn

All digital mixers and recorders use internal RF frequency signals to move data within the unit. It is the RF energy created by these signals that causes interference when the RF energy is allowed to radiate either from the case itself or from cables pluged into the case.

Zaxcoms Nomad case design and its connections to external cables are all designed with RF supression in mind. And we have no complaints of any excessive RF radiation to date.

The best thing that anyone can do is to seperate any digital product from receiver antennas by as great a distance as possible. Even 6 inches can be a big help over nothing.

The Zaxnet 2.4 GHz signal has a high pass filter so interference to UHF radios is very unlikely.

Glenn

Glenn,

I sent you a PM on this forum and the Zaxcom forum. Please read and then call me on my cell: 651-470-1637

I saw very little rf spray into my Lectro 211's by the way. There was some but nothing that was a problem.

Just about every peice of electronics can potential cause RFI. It's just when electricity is passing through any medium it creates a electromagnetic field. Even though it is relatively very weak in high end recorders, the use of highly sensitive receivers used right next to any source of RFI will probably show it.

When you hear about recorders with internal HDD's having relatively more RFI than solid state recorders it is likely because the electric motor that spins the platter in the HDD is actually using a magnetic field to make the platter spin, thus emitting more RF than a recorder that didn't have to spin up a little electric motor.

Thank you. It all makes sense to me now.