Nomad RF block 21 and 24

Michael McQueen

I'm sorry I agree with Glenn. You guys can do all the tests you want but they aren't valid. Too many variables.

Has this been a serious problem? Have you lost range from it? Getting hits? Any other major problems? Unless its serious I don't see the point.

Plus you can just add space between your receivers and the Nomad. Seems like an easy solution.

But I could be wrong.

I'm sorry I agree with Glenn. You guys can do all the tests you want but they aren't valid. Too many variables.

Has this been a serious problem? Have you lost range from it? Getting hits? Any other major problems? Unless its serious I don't see the point.

Plus you can just add space between your receivers and the Nomad. Seems like an easy solution.

But I could be wrong.

The tests proposed are perfectly valid in exactly the same sense that the RF chamber tests are valid. They are all tests of specific situations at specific times of specific situations. Each test alone only allows you a key-hole view of the landscape, but each further test adds another keyhole. This is why many individuals doing their own testing broadens the community's knowledge of the issue and what successful responses are. Test away, comrades!

phil p

1 bar is about 50% less range.

If it is here and there no problem, but if it is all over the block like Mike's scan that is a serious problem.

But I could be wrong.

" Why would a recorder affect RF? What is in it that causes this issue? "

all electronic equipment (and some not electrical equipment, too) affect RF...

in particular any electronics with microprocessors, or switching electronics of any sort will emit some, usually low level, RF radiation, and to exemplify that, I refer to the requirement that all electronic devices -- not just recorders and wireless microphones-- must be turned off during take-off and landing of aircraft, even including Alec Baldwin's phone. ???

" The FAA also advises airlines to make sure passengers turn off almost all portable electronic devices during critical phases of flight, below 10,000 feet. Airlines require electronics be turned off and stowed during takeoff and landing. " http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/21/cell.phones.planes/index.html

But I could be wrong.

There are not too many variables. Also, we can test Gear X, Y, and Z together to see what real world results occur. If powering a Mixer off the same BDS as a receiver causes the receiver to suck in RF from the mixer but powering them separately eliminates that RF spray then one answer is to not power them off the same battery system. For example.

Have I/we lost range? Yes. I used a Lectrosonics 401 on a gig a while back that couldn't be within one foot of my 744t. When the receiver was placed at least a foot away I got great scans and range. When it was up close to the 744t the 401 was nearly useless.

It's serious anytime a producer/director/or me has to wonder why I'm getting 50 feet of range when I should be getting far more than that. Yes, there are variables involved but reducing those variables and trying other combinations of gear can answer a lot of questions.

We use this gear in the real world with other pieces of equipment from different manufacturers. Testing combinations of gear is a very helpful thing. I'm glad Glenn tested the Nomad in an RF chamber because that tells one part of the story. However, unless my next shoot is in that RF chamber I'd like to know how my gear reacts and interacts with other gear commonly used on the market.

Also, just because a piece of gear emits some RF at a particular frequency doesn't mean you shouldn't buy that piece of equipment. It simply means you have to take steps in the field to avoid the problem frequency or spacing of the gear.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a block 20 SRa scan w nomad off and on. no difference in rf. nomad 'on' scan looks exactly the same as nomad 'off' scan. f084a97d.jpga999c759.jpg edit: forgot to mention, SR and nomad both powered from BDS v3

If you started with the Nomad on and did your scan, then turned the Nomad off and rescanned (without powering the SR off) then that's an inaccurate test. When Lectros scan they don't "forget" what they've seen. So any RF it encounters during the scan will retain on the read out, even if the RF goes away. Unless of course you reset the scan by momentarily hitting the power button.

But I could be wrong.

so maybe it's part real world experience and part voodoo. :)

There have been similar threads to this about the 744 and other devices. If nothing else, we can learn about ways that user solved the problem. I never owned a 744, but I read plenty about how people dealt with the RF issue in case I ever encountered something similar. I read about people trying separate DC sources, moving RXs a bit etc. Besides, this thread started out being about Nomad and Lectro block 21 issues, and will probably lead to a fix. I'm planning on buying a Nomad at some point, so if the situation comes up where I want to buy more Lectros, I may pick a block that plays happier with the recorder... or know I need to use an antenna combiner and move the antenna a few inches (no big deal if it works).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the antenna combiner will help much.

Physical separation between the recorder and the RX is what I found to work best with my 744t.

I really hope Nomad plays well with block 21 Lectro. 6 channels that I own are 21.

Will hate to have to replace them all.

I already have to replace my block 24 hops because they are unusable in Phoenix.

I'm planning on buying a Nomad at some point, so if the situation comes up where I want to buy more Lectros, I may pick a block that plays happier with the recorder... or know I need to use an antenna combiner and move the antenna a few inches (no big deal if it works).

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a Petrol bag? Try putting the Nomad in the middle of the bag, and the RX's in the little clip on pockets. It looks a bit weird but it helps a lot. I've had my 744T up against my belly (which puts out a LOT more RF than Nomad, apparently) and the 4 RX's in the outer pockets (my bag has 4 of the clip on mounts around the outside) and got NO appreciable RF change on the scans with the 744T turned off or on.