Nomad RF block 21 and 24

Michael McQueen

• 11 months later...

I get a bit of spray on my BL26 Sra's form Nomad. Not quite as bad as Max has pictured above, but similar. BL24 is clean.

Moving the SRa further from the Nomad helped considerably. Nomad closest to body and SRa toward the front of the main compartment of a PS602. I also remoted my antennas to the shoulder of my harness using something I had made up similar to below. Say good bye to RF spray.

#ACOAXTX (Specify Block)

769.jpgDescription: This coaxial design is approximately 36 inches in overall length, with an SMA connector. The other end is cut to a 1/4 wavelength of the corresponding frequency block with a color band and tag specifying its block. It is especially useful for applications where a small remote antenna is desired.   Coaxial antenna usage guide (PDF)

Nate do you attach the cable to your shoulder harness somehow? 

I added some soft side velcro to the D-ring at the top of the harness and a velcro strip to the antennas. That way when not using the harness or for storage I can fasten the antennas to the front strip of the 602.

The reception is on par with whips. The reason I went this route was not to improve reception but to get the antennas away from my links and the later Nomad to improve unwanted RF.

Was doing a job where I was basicly in the camos back pocket a lot (small cramped spaces) so I didn't want my hop transmitter ariels that close to my cam link.

I get a bit of spray on my BL26 Sra's form Nomad. Not quite as bad as Max has pictured above, but similar. BL24 is clean.

Moving the SRa further from the Nomad helped considerably. Nomad closest to body and SRa toward the front of the main compartment of a PS602. I also remoted my antennas to the shoulder of my harness using something I had made up similar to below. Say good bye to RF spray.

#ACOAXTX (Specify Block)

769.jpgDescription: This coaxial design is approximately 36 inches in overall length, with an SMA connector. The other end is cut to a 1/4 wavelength of the corresponding frequency block with a color band and tag specifying its block. It is especially useful for applications where a small remote antenna is desired.   Coaxial antenna usage guide (PDF)

lectro supplied me the BNC equivalent (for 411s) some years ago and they have worked well for me. They didn't increase the range when using just a mixer but they do reduce the 'noise' from a recorder.

~ I went with right angle connectors to keep the profile down in the bag.

~ I used to attach them to my headphones, more recently i wear them on harness with something to keep them straight and stop them from touching (they can also be more easily positioned onto something else).

~ Not very scientific but i have tried 'scanning' the recorder to hear where the 'noise' is (when using whips) - i switch off the pilot tone (411a) and move the rx or antennae around the recorder while listening to the output (of the RX). I find there is always part of the recorder that makes more 'noise' (often near the display). I'm not smart enough to know what this is really telling me but i find it reassuring to know where the 'noisiest' part of the recorder is when positioning the RX (with whips). 

Has anyone surveyed their recorders with an RF spectrum analyser?

dan.

With the antennas on the front of my bag the scans are pretty much clean. There is a little bit of unwanted RF, but still less than using whips on the RX positioned at the front of the bag.

I too changed the SMA connector to right angle ones to lower the profile. It is nice not to have take whips off or worry about bending them to much when putting the cover on the bag.

• 8 months later...

With regards to the topic: Nomad RF block 21 and 24

There has been a lot of discussion here about how lectro plays with nomad in blocks 21 and 24 but not much if anything about how zaxcom wireless block 21 and/or 24 behave with nomad.

Should someone be scared away from zaxcom wireless block 21 if they are a nomad user?

It has been 8 months since the last post on this thread and I'm sure there are plenty of members out there now with this exact setup; could you please comment about your real world experiences with this? Are you having problems with signal or range when using these?

Just to be clear my question is regarding zaxcom wireless blocks 21 and 24 with zaxcom nomad. Not lectro and not other blocks.

Thank you all

I've been using a Nomad with Block 21 for about a year and a half, and added Block 24 to my kit about 6 months ago. I haven't been scared off and am happy with the results

It's hard for me to comment on range, because every location is different. I've had better range in different locations as well as interior versus exterior. I've found that a Micplexer increased range. I haven't tried the PSC RF Multi SMA in any kind of comparison tests.

I would be remiss to not mention that my thoughts on the RF paradigm have shifted greatly since I started using recording transmitters.  I simply do not worry about taking hits much any more.  I want to deliver a quality multi-track recording.  However recording transmitters allow the multi-track hits to be replaced with the transmitter recordings.  Therefore your show/feature/whatever airs without rf hits.  (Explaining this to a producer and having them not try to take advantage of it by attempting to make you record in multiple locations without the ability to monitor is a different matter entirely.)

Here are some pictures of my bag with the Nomad on and off.  The receiver on the left is Block 24 and the receiver on the right is Block 21.

post-5679-0-11119800-1386959450_thumb.jp

post-5679-0-80338500-1386959455_thumb.jp

post-5679-0-36128000-1386959461_thumb.jp

post-5679-0-72764000-1386959465_thumb.jp