Favorite music acts of all time... and quotes.

RPSharman

That was a great project for us at Technicolor. Bob Richardson is an amazing DP -- the camera crew was like a "who's who" of working DPs. As for sound, I heard the (original live) raw mix for months, and I was blown away with how good the group sounded without any editing, overdubs, or tweaking. Christina Aguilera was jaw-droppingly perfect, even in the dress rehearsals.

--Marc W.

+1 on Shine A Light. I don't consider myself a huge Stones fan, but that was simply amazing! I've recommended it to every cameraman I know just for the camera work alone.

I received Rush's Time Machine for Christmas. After watching that I'm trying to decide whether or not to hang up my drumsticks . . . again.

Best performance--albeit short--is Jimmy Page playing the intro to Whole Lotta Love in the documentary, This Might Get Loud. Seeing the Edge's and Jack White's expressions is priceless.

Favorite quote is from Rattle & Hum when U2 and BB King meet to rehearse When Love Comes To Town:

BB King: "If we could find somebody to play chords . . . I'm no good at chords. I'm horrible with chords."

Bono: "Um . . . yeah . . . well, uh, the Edge can do that."

Not an Elvis fan by any means, but one thing he said has stuck with me for decades:

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

I've just always thought that was a very telling statement as far as the music industry goes.

As far as great performances go, I did get to see Pink Floyd (sans Waters) in Vancouver, BC many years ago. We stayed the weekend at a hotel downtown, and Friday night we sat out on our balcony (around a dozen floors up, I think) and being only a few blocks away from the venue, we could actually hear the entire Friday night concert echoing through downtown Vancouver. It was absolutely etherial.

The show Saturday night was amazing. I've always been a huge Pink Floyd fan, and to finally see them live was unforgettable.

~tt

One of my favorite bands of all time is Primus. They did a "documentary" back in the 90's and they were on Les Claypool's boat, and he grabs the mic that is in a zeppelin and furry windcover and goes "you see this? this is a bum tickler. you sit on this, and it tickles your bum!".

• 10 years later...

Different genre but one of the most amazing performances of anything ever is this one of Tchaikovsky's sextet "Souvenir de Florence". Just incredible, virtuosic playing, ensemble work, and musicianship all around. Very well recorded, too - clean, clear and dynamic. Looks like it might just be the two Schoeps omnis.