Cheap Stereo Mic Solution?

Beta Sound

Hey guys,

Feel like I need a Stereo mic setup, my ambiences really lack in mono. Mixing for surround, so stereo ambiences is the least I can provide.

Anything out there thats a no brainer for an entry level mic. I own a MKH50 and a 416. Maybe a third mic i could combine with these, I would like to keep it under 500. Or a self contained two mic unit.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is a good thread to look over.

Unfortunately, all of Oleg's posts have been removed for some reason which is too bad.

As for adding a figure of eight element for under 500 I would look at the ambient emmesser. The Sennheiser MKH30 would be a good choice for you obviously but you won't find it for under 500.

+1 for ZOOM H4n. You having a good quality and low price.

Check this test:

http://soundcloud.com/vasileiosalexandris/soundwalks-thessaloniki-mitropoleos

Walking in the street and recorded. The only editing for this test is fade in, fade out and give +6 dB trim.

Without EQ or DSP.

Vasileios

Quite impressed with the H4N track you recorded, seems to be quiet enough and with pretty decent imaging, is handling noise a problem at all when getting these recordings?

This file recorded at 96kHz / 24bit

My first record from this recorder.

In your question the answer is no for this project. Because I want the original sound from this mics (the ZOOM mics) with out EQs and DSP. For other projects the answer is yes.

Download the file (it's free).

:)

I've gotten some pretty good ambience with a Audio Technica BP4029, and it was a low cost way to dabble in stereo recording. I got my mic for $400-something IIRC.

I was recording it for a doc series that sent along a Zoom H4n for that purpose. If we were actively filming, I mounted the Zoom on the roof of a car or something to get some street ambience. If I went out to record sounds on my own, I used the 4029.

The show was delivered in 5.1, so they wanted this to add to the mix. Show doesn't air for a week or two, and I have not talked to post since the end of the summer, so I don't know how it all worked out in the end. Personally I found the 4029 pretty easy to use because I could pop it into a blimp I already had. I don't have outdoor quality windscreens for my MK012 (let alone a 2nd MK012).

i bought the audio technica bp4025 for some nature and bike riding stuff. i'll try and dig up some sounds from it. its a little more than your budget but i think its a great sounding mic.

I've gotten some pretty good ambience with a Audio Technica BP4029, and it was a low cost way to dabble in stereo recording. I got my mic for $400-something IIRC.

I was recording it for a doc series that sent along a Zoom H4n for that purpose. If we were actively filming, I mounted the Zoom on the roof of a car or something to get some street ambience. If I went out to record sounds on my own, I used the 4029.

The show was delivered in 5.1, so they wanted this to add to the mix. Show doesn't air for a week or two, and I have not talked to post since the end of the summer, so I don't know how it all worked out in the end. Personally I found the 4029 pretty easy to use because I could pop it into a blimp I already had. I don't have outdoor quality windscreens for my MK012 (let alone a 2nd MK012).

See and the fact that itll fit nicely in my Rycote Windshield 4 Kit is very appealing to me.

i bought the audio technica bp4025 for some nature and bike riding stuff. i'll try and dig up some sounds from it. its a little more than your budget but i think its a great sounding mic.

Id love to hear some, please do! What recorder did you make them on?

+6 for MC012 (since I own 6). My fave bang-for-buck mic ever, esp if you buy used. I use them all the time for music recording--not a Schoeps, but Schoeps-like and damn close. Not great on a boom (but usable), but otherwise fab. Another sleeper: excellent mic--very cheap used: Shure KSM109.

phil p

I've just got my box of chocolates from oktava with three pairs of capsules (hyper, cardio, omni) and two preamps witn -10 db pads. I've also bought a 70 cm rycote stereo bar. Except for M/S I can do a whole lot of stereo setups with these. The best bang for the buck in terms of versatility. Here's a link to the kit from oktava on their website: http://www.oktava-shop.com/view_prod.php?id=10. If you're in Europe, I bought it at thomann.de: great price and customer service.