History of Recording

Jeff Wexler

I think Eric could be a really good resource --- he was there at the time, doing the jobs. Question to Peter, what's the movie you're doing?

I can't speak for Peter, but I suspect this is the new Coen Brothers movie, Inside Llewyn Davis, which is about the early 1960s Greenwich Village folk music scene. That was an amazing time back then -- Dylan, Peter Paul & Mary, Pete Seeger, etc. ...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Share away.

Eric

Thanks Eric! I may call once I'm in prep.

As to your deal, I'll see if they've already got a technical advisor. I can't offer sandwiches though. Its a low budget show and the sandwiches may be the only catering we get.

Peter

PS Marc, it is Inside Llewyn Davis. It could be really interesting. But, if history is any guide, full of unexpected complications.

The only downside of it was that after some time the fluid inside the viewer would evaporate, leaving you with a totally useless device. There was also a spray which would do the same thing, which had iron particle suspended in some king of solvent. Usually worked better than the 3M viewer, as it was right on the surface of the tape/film. I think I still have some...

--S

I remember the 3M track viewer thing. Allowed you to see if the tracks and the guard bands were centered evenly on the tape. I even remember when we used oxen to pull the tape across the heads. One ox for mono, two for stereo. ;-))

Eric

Yeah, I loved that half-silvered buld! I think I have a few, but they are hard to find.

Here's a photo of the spray on mag developer.

Thanks Scott,

I'd buy that too, in a heartbeat! I love the photo. When was the last time production hired a professional photographer to light and shoot the sound guy? One of my favorite details in your shot is the half silvered bulb.

All this ancient history reminded me of this little accessory that actually displayed the track layout on the recording tape. I only saw one once, but it was a little glass disk filled with very fine iron powder in an emulsion and when a recorded tape was placed on the back of it the powder would show the actual tracks.

Who else remembers that?

And Peter Kurland, how come everytime you are in New York I am somewhere else? Pity Have a great shoot!

post-58-0-61404400-1326059009.jpg

Peter:

If you're at all into the the East Coast folk scene from the 1950's and '60's, I highly recommend the book "Baby Let Me Follow You Down", by Eric Von Schmidt and Jim Rooney. It is the only book I've ever seen that covers the period from the point of view of an insider. Great stories, and some fabulous photos. I think it's still available in paperbook.

--S

Thanks Eric! I may call once I'm in prep.

As to your deal, I'll see if they've already got a technical advisor. I can't offer sandwiches though. Its a low budget show and the sandwiches may be the only catering we get.

Peter

PS Marc, it is Inside Llewyn Davis. It could be really interesting. But, if history is any guide, full of unexpected complications.

For fans of all this retro stuff, you might want to check out this site: http://www.retrothing.com/

Of special interest might be: http://www.retrothing.com/2010/09/a-decent-turntable-at-a-fair-price.html

--S

I remember the 3M track viewer thing. Allowed you to see if the tracks and the guard bands were centered evenly on the tape. I even remember when we used oxen to pull the tape across the heads. One ox for mono, two for stereo. ;-))

Eric

(And a whole herd for 24 track!) --SS

I used some of those 300s and 350s in college radio in the early 1970s, and never liked them -- I thought the transports were really clunky and weird.

--Marc W.

Marc - I'll bet we worked on the very same machines at FSU ... I remember those beasts well - and "clunky" is dead-on - but, hey, they were state-of-the-art once! They were very solid, and even the switches were "tank-like"... I was a teaching assistant in audio production from 78 - 80. They spent those days in a room off to the side of WFSU-FM, (in the Diffenbaugh building) where I worked from 77-82. We ended up getting a couple of newer Ampex machines, but I don't remember the "model"... (the 440's you speak of?)

We also had an early version of the Revox B77 (?) to play with, along with some very very tired cart machines.

And that beautiful Gates board with the rotary pots ....

When I got to Atlanta in '82, I graduated to ATR-100s - two of them in every control room. Much faster and tighter on the cueing.

MF

Peter:

I first learned this one from Ric Von Schmidt on the green pastures of...

Harvard University"

If you're at all into the the East Coast folk scene from the 1950's and '60's, I highly recommend the book "Baby Let Me Follow You Down", by Eric Von Schmidt and Jim Rooney. It is the only book I've ever seen that covers the period from the point of view of an insider. Great stories, and some fabulous photos. I think it's still available in paperbook.

--S

Funny thing. We just finished the first screener mix of a feature docy about the folk music scene in Harvard Square starting in the late 50 / early 60s. Eric Von Schmidt figures prominently, as does Dylan. Plus contemporary (and classic) interviews and music from Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Tom Rush, Jackie Washington, the Muldauers, Kweskin, etc etc.

(Some excellent production audio by fellow CAS member Kevin Parker. I did the sound edit and rerecording. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125511)

Marc - I'll bet we worked on the very same machines at FSU ... I remember those beasts well - and "clunky" is dead-on - but, hey, they were state-of-the-art once! They were very solid, and even the switches were "tank-like"... I was a teaching assistant in audio production from 78 - 80.

I was actually at WFSU-TV right before that, in late 1972. I can't remember the name of the School of Communications building, but I do remember the stone building and the sign above the entrance: "The Half of Knowledge is Knowing Where to Find Knowledge." (That, learning how to splice film, and my social security number were the three most important things I learned at FSU.)

I later studied radio at WUSF, down in Tampa. Did miles of editing with the 300's and the AG-440Bs -- we would fight over them, because the 440s were so much better for editing. I loved the ATR-100s, except when you got in a tape with a lot of physical splices. The servos used to bounce like crazy if they didn't like the splices. Sometimes, pinch rollers were actually more stable, especially on a machine like the Nagra T.

" Gates board with the rotary pots "

Those Gates boards (and a lot of other OEMed products) were everywhere, Gates was a respected budget brand for consoles.

BTW, most of those classic (old) radio boards actually had stepped attenuators rather than regular "pots".

why?

They also were easier to clean and more reliable than carbon pots (the only alternative at the time). And they could be made with multiple wipers, in T and other configurations, to simplify circuit design in the days when there were interstage transformers so impedance counted.

• 3 weeks later...

Douglas Lilburn

New Zealand composer Douglas Lilburn giving a demonstration of a work composed in the Electronic Music Studio at Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand, in 1970. Lilburn is demonstrating the sounds produced for a modern dance performance that include the electronic reconstitution of the sounds of the extinct huia bird.