Books

Olle Sjostrom

Read any good books lately? I've had one or two good reads in 2011... Don't have time to read much, but it surely is a perfect pastime.

Most recent was a Haruki Murakami book called Norwegian Wood. He's insanely popular in Sweden. I guess mostly because he writes a lot of graphic sex scenes. Didn't like the book. I don't like sex scenes at all.

Another pretty good read was a Paul Auster novel called Invisible.

And of course I've read a lot of interesting stuff here :) Cheerio! (iPhone wanted to correct cheerio with Cheerios. Cereal sponsoring in autocorrect? Hmmm...)

I read Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars, which is 4 novellas. Excellent read from a masterful storyteller. I haven't read much from him in a while, but I love his novellas. Very concise- not a wasted word.

Another Marc with a C! And with good taste.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan -- his newest, 11/22/63, about a time-travel attempt to stop the Kennedy assassination, was the best thing he's written in years. Full Dark, No Stars was possibly the most depressing, downbeat book he's done, but at least he warns the reader that right up front.

Best book I read in 2011: Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography. I felt like he covered all the highs and lows, good points and (very) bad points of a brilliant, difficult man.

Best book I read in 2011: Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography. I felt like he covered all the highs and lows, good points and (very) bad points of a brilliant, difficult man.

Reading it now. He was brilliant, but I'm glad I never had to work for him. I probably wouldn't have liked him very much, especially in his early days.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge. One of the books the HBO show "The Pacific" was based on.

They lived in Hell on Okinawa.. My dad was in the Marines in WWII, spent most of his time on Carriers, but he mentioned only a few times about Islands. Never talked much about it.. Wish he were still here.

We had a big book Christmas. I just started Ed King by David Guterson. In the queue are James Brady's Flags of Our Fathers, the Jobs biography and Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith's Van Gogh biography.

I just finished Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith which was a fun read.

Best regards,

Jim

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I found a great book on the history of sound in film titled Designing Sound: Audiovisual Aesthetics in 1970s American Cinema. I first stumbled upon the book after watching Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives and noticing that most scenes were done with lav mics only and boom for basic ambience. The book traces the first use of radio microphones on talent and how production sound mixers adapted to changing cinematic landscapes.

I put it on my list of books to get around to reading!

4 hours ago, Ridley said:

I found a great book on the history of sound in film titled Designing Sound: Audiovisual Aesthetics in 1970s American Cinema. I first stumbled upon the book after watching Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives and noticing that most scenes were done with lav mics only and boom for basic ambience. The book traces the first use of radio microphones on talent and how production sound mixers adapted to changing cinematic landscapes.

I put it on my list of books to get around to reading!

https://books.google.com/books/about/Designing_Sound.html?id=ks4bDAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&gboemv=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

• 1 month later...