And now I need work....(mixer/boom-)op

I understand, but it is another link in the already complicated chain. Most of the veteran guys with whom I communicate are all about simplifying and eliminating variables.

Man! So, you're actually mixing recording to a cart and booming? -- obviously, non-union gigs... that's rough. I think I'd have a hard time with that... not that it would be impossible to do -- just get a bunch of ISO's and let post figure it out, I guess...

...but just on principle -- now these people (the same people who can't be convinced you need a Sound Utility) are gonna start thinking you don't need a Boom Op. (This topic has been discussed in other threads, but you reminded me of it, and I felt compelled to say something.)

I hope you don't make it a regular practice to operate as you described above. As cool as it is, you may be inadvertently setting a very dangerous precedent for yourself (and others)...

In any case, I don't want to harp on you about it -- the technology is very cool, and I can see it's advantages in certain situations...

~tt

I dont think of it as another link in the chain, its more of a splitter. It doesn't complicate anything and it doesn't interfere with anything else. If it doesn't work it's not like the entire cart goes down, you just don't have the VNC.

It is a lot of work, but when it's the difference between working and not working and I need the money, I do it. I always tell production that not having a boom op will hurt the production is "X" ways. If I am getting a decent rate I try to split a boom op with them. I do everything I can to get one, and it usually works out. Some times people are just stubborn though.

As for utility.... That seems like it's getting to be a lost cause.

I hear you Chris,

Hang in there, keep fighting, and eventually (if you're good, and with a little luck) you'll rise above, and get more 'salad' gigs. A lot of LA is in the air, but there's always something going on... you'll be turning down work in no time. Just don't let them talk you out of a Boom Op ;)

~tt

• 2 weeks later...

The VNC thing is neat but really a stretch for practical use for us.

how so? it adds a touch screen to us mac based guys. I can monitor my levels and isos while I set up transmitters. I can control all of my functions without being at the cart. ...and so on