Is this a high-def, cheap equivalent of V1 HDVR for post?

Jay Rose

Came across this in TV Tech magazine and checked out the specs. Looks incredibly good for anybody who wants high def (or SD) pix for post editing and mixing, without having to put any stress on their DAW's computer.

And B&H has it for $945. New. Nothing else needed except an SS drive and a cable. Plugs into your DAW's 9-pin port and emulates a VTR.

Thoughts? Anybody have hands-on?

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckstudio/

Came across this in TV Tech magazine and checked out the specs. Looks incredibly good for anybody who wants high def (or SD) pix for post editing and mixing, without having to put any stress on their DAW's computer.

And B&H has it for $945. New. Nothing else needed except an SS drive and a cable. Plugs into your DAW's 9-pin port and emulates a VTR.

Thoughts? Anybody have hands-on?

http://www.blackmagi...yperdeckstudio/

No...but seems way sexy and much cheaper than Doremi or buying a Mac and using VVTR. One question--I notice that the ethernet and USB ports say they are for updates and config only--so how do I transfer a file to this thing? Do you have to physically take one of those SSD drives out of the machine and connect it to a computer for that? If I could have this thing on a studio network and transfer in files from clients directly (esp h264 w/o conversion) that would be extremely cool.

phil p

Philip,

According to their website, you just pull the SSD out and pop it into your Mac or Win machine. The files are Quicktime, and they show up right on your desktop. The website says it takes H264 or virtually anything else in the QT wrapper.

In fact, their docs say that when you buy a new blank SSD, you should format it first in your computer... then pop it into the Hyperdeck unit.

External SSD / eSATA holders are pretty cheap. I didn't check SSD / FireWire, but I'm sure there are plenty around.