Doing sound taking a toll on your body??

jonathan chiles

I just went for a massage today and discovered that I am really tense in my shoulders, legs and lower back. I have to attribute at least some of this to wearing a heavy sound bag, being on my feet for long long days, and standing for long periods booming on doc/reality type shows. Also a boom op friend of mine is just recovering from a herniated disc.

All of this made me want to ask :

How is this work effecting your body?

And

What ways can we employ to try and stay healthy physically and not get injured?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jonathan,

Yeah, it's been discussed quite a bit here -- there are many tales of woe from Soundies subjecting themselves to 'pack-mule audio' gigs only to realize they're quite probably causing themselves permanent injury.

Two main methods seem to have emerged -- one is regular exercise and massage (though massage can actually cause further damage in some cases, and who wants to work out on the days off when the days on entail this kind of torture?)...

...the other is to 'lighten the load' -- there's a thread about it here...

Obviously, if you need 8+ rx's and IFB, etc. there's only so much 'lightening' one can do... ie: the Lectro Octopacks might weigh less than 8x411a's, but then as I understand it the front end isn't as 'robust.'

The biggest bag rig I used had dual X5's (I know, I absolutely hated them, we tried to get different mixers, but that was the only 5-ch out at the time), 10 411a's (yes - 10 of 'em), IFB's (rx from Prod. trailer and tx to camera) powered by 2 NP1's (dual BDS systems)... needless to say, I didn't make a career out of that show -- although a couple of my friends did for a spell.

Ultimately, I think you have to weigh (intended) the pros and cons and realize it's not sustainable -- hopefully the compensation justifies the sacrifice, and you'll have something that resembles a functioning body left when you 'retire'...

~tt

I is affecting my body like it does yours. 5 Channels Rigs, 788 with 8 RFs, and booming on docs and reality shows where taking the rig off is rarely an option beats me up. I have a bad back and flat feet, so I rest when I can. I do however find that light weightlifting and a daily stretching routine helps a lot. I know that going to the hotel or local gym after 12-14 hours of lugging a rig around all day is the last thing on anyones mind. Facing the facts, our job is a physically demanding job so keeping in shape is important.

One other thing you might try:

get one of these 'body pillows':

SZR_FB_7.jpg

...and try to sleep as low-impact as possible... much in the way our blonde friend (the one on the right) is here in this wonderful photo.

...and get a pillow-top mattress (if you can -- hotel gigs make it rough.) Sometimes you have to improvise. When I'm doing 'pack-mule' style gigs, if I don't sleep right both before and after, I'm almost guaranteed a messed up shoulder for weeks. It may take some conscious re-arranging and re-developing your sleeping positions, trial & error, and I know it sounds a bit obvious and silly, but find a position that causes the least stress on the affected joints and muscles -- your body repairs itself when you sleep -- circulation is important -- good sleep is PARAMOUNT.

~tt

The biggest bag rig I used had dual X5's (I know, I absolutely hated them, we tried to get different mixers, but that was the only 5-ch out at the time), 10 411a's (yes - 10 of 'em), IFB's (rx from Prod. trailer and tx to camera) powered by 2 NP1's (dual BDS systems)... needless to say, I didn't make a career out of that show -- although a couple of my friends did for a spell.

I can name that show in one blue shirt :)

Don't miss that rig @ all.

Those pillows look hilarious!

Interesting comments guys, obviously its mostly common sense. I am also starting with some accupuncture to release tension from my neck and shoulders. I very seldom do any pack-mule days but even a lightish basic doc bag worn for all those 12 hour days every year has got to be effecting your physiognomy. Up until recently I really thought that all those physical days in the trenches had not left any lasting impression on my frame.

Keep in mind that every remedy said above is only temporary. Eventually you're going to have permenent damage of one type or another due to doing bag jobs. The older you get the longer it takes for your body to heal & recover. Say no to those jobs before it's to late. Trust me on this, I've seen the results on those who didn't listen to what their body was telling them.

Eric

Keep in mind that every remedy said above is only temporary. Eventually you're going to have permenent damage of one type or another due to doing bag jobs. The older you get the longer it takes for your body to heal & recover. Say no to those jobs before it's to late. Trust me on this, I've seen the results on those who didn't listen to what their body was telling them.

Eric

This is the truth.

CrewC

It seems to only get harder with age.....My pop was a physical laborer all his life....and his body is really F@@@ed up, he cant do many of the things he used to do for very long, and some activities not at all..........I think of him as the possible ghost of christmas future if I dont take care of myself....I work hard, but I rarely pack mule bag jobs now a days. Its kind of obvious that certain jobs are really unhealthy for us, you don't need a medical degree to figure that out......Physical damage is what scares me most about this career. ...(I'm only 39.....I might just be a delicate flower.....)

I'm assuming all are talking in terms of harness as opposed to shoulder strap.

Beyond that, makes me wonder if mixers and receivers couldn't get by with less heavy construction. I mean..maybe the onus of protection should be placed on the bag and operator and not a series of heavy metal shells that live in a padded bag. Are heavy materials the only way to get sufficient RF control? A Sound Devices or Lectro unit can probably be driven over and survive. But they might take out some backs before that ever happens.

.maybe the onus of protection should be placed on the bag and operator and not a series of heavy metal shells that live in a padded bag. Are heavy materials the only way to get sufficient RF control?

Every recorder that I know of is made of aluminum which is already a lightweight fabrication. I don't know of a single field machine that uses a steel chassis. Sound Devices, Deva, Cantar, Nagra are all aluminum.

I suppose that using titanium would be possible but it would considerably elevate the cost not just because the metal is expensive by itself (they don't call it unobtanium for nothing!) but also because it is very difficult to cut and extremely difficult to weld.

Often batteries are the largest, or among the largest, sources of weight. New battery technology, like lithium iron, may help.

David

01/06/12 7:30 a.m.

A chill wind blew across my desk this morning and motivated me to check specifications. Sound Devices claims that their recorders feature "Aluminum & stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight." So my sweeping statement that all the field recorders are made from aluminum appears to be overstated.

I can name that show in one blue shirt :)

Don't miss that rig @ all.

Hey Steigs,

I had a feeling you'd chime in about that -- did anyone ever weigh those beasts? Rhey had to be around 40 #'s... yeah, not fun.

I spoke with Clifford recently, he sounds well... haven't worked with him in quite a while. Should I tell him you said hi?

~tom

Has anyone considered wearing a weightlifting support belt type thing? I can see some superficial con's (such as; hot and sweaty, itchy, generally uncomfortable) but it seems the long term pros of that extra lower back support could really be beneficial.

Also with the way tech is moving I predict in the foreseeable future wearing a backpack on your back that housed all the hardware, except for one digital interface in front of you that controlled all said hardware. Here's to hoping!

The notion of "bag jobs" doing permanent damage is interesting, I tend to have my worst back problems when I am on a cart job for any length of time. And nothing throws my back out faster than a day on the computer doing invoices. I've gravitated to docs over scripted drama as a way of saving my body. But I do spend a lot of money on good footwear, and have spent many hours modifying and customizing harnesses to distribute weight properly. I haven't yet seen a commercially made harness that works the way I want it to right off the shelf. And then, even with all the modifications, that bag goes on the floor whenever possible.

As for Chase's question about a weightlifting belt thing, that's pretty much how my rig works. It's a large (SD 552 size) Kata bag with shoulderstraps and 2 waist belts. One waist belt being the regular stock one and then a complete second one added below it. This keeps the bag super tight to the body and gives lots of back support.

cheers,

Brent Calkin

I have to say my mantra: exercise.

I'm carrying a Pilates ball around on my gigs to strengthen my abs, core and lower back. It's inflatable and totally flat when deflated so you can easily store that with a pump in your bag next to the mixer. There are great are great exercises on the ball, and you work only with your body's own weight, and you can easily regulate how much sweat you'd like on your back. Regular exercise keeps your body in shape. If you don't have the time then tell production you need to recoup, let someone fill in for you. (I usually do it before I go to sleep on the hotel room)

Money talks so easily on long jobs, and no one's a quitter, but if you feel like you're taking a beating just doing your work, you need to either take a rest from it, or exercise on it. A pair of joggers and some clothes to match is also easy to pack along with your regular clothes. Before breakfast, take a short intense run.

Massage and acupuncture are only quick fixes. Stay in shape and exercise every day, short or long passes doesn't matter, it's the principle, and you can do this job till you don't feel like it anymore. I've been through hell and back (pun intended) with my physical therapist, and I'm only 26! He has motivated me into doing this and it has helped me enormously. Good luck!

(null)

Exercise and looking after your strength and fitness are obviously important, only realized that in the last few years as I hit my mid 30's.. before that it felt like this work would never hurt me!

Sometimes I feel like I shouldnt complain as gear is lighter today than it ever has been.. still they want us to carry more of it so I guess we come out at about the same as a Nagra and all the D cells.. I think lighter construction will come, the 552 has a composite casing if I'm correct? I think carbon fiber is the way to go! It cant be machined like aluminum but I hope with time more of that material will get incorporated into our kit. Hopefully our backs will stay good so we can be around to enjoy that!

" if mixers and receivers couldn't get by with less heavy construction "

There are several factors in professional construction, some made more critical by the recent shift of RoHS. For example the lead free solder being used tends to be brittle, requiring the overall construction to hold circuitry more ridgidly..

Go see an osteopath about getting orthotic inserts in your shoes.

My orthotics changed my life, yep that good. Takes some getting used to but once your feet are used to it, they're great.

The osteo should scan the bottom of your feet and customise the orthtics to suit your feet. They are designed to rebuild the 3 arches in feet and re-align the spine.

My osteo x-rayed my hips too, to see what was going on.

He found that I also have one short leg. Everyone does but its usually only about 2 or 3 mm and doesn't cause any problems. Mine is 9mm!! Before the orthotics, my hips and spine were all out of whack. The shoe inserts re-aligned my whole body. This along with some pelvic floor muscle exercises, I'm a new man!!

I still get alittle sore after a massive day off the shoulder, bag style but nothing like before.

This job does take its toll but it beats digging holes man!!

Cheers

Peter Mega

Go see an osteopath about getting orthotic inserts in your shoes.

My orthotics changed my life, yep that good. Takes some getting used to but once your feet are used to it, they're great.

The osteo should scan the bottom of your feet and customise the orthtics to suit your feet. They are designed to rebuild the 3 arches in feet and re-align the spine.

My osteo x-rayed my hips too, to see what was going on.

He found that I also have one short leg. Everyone does but its usually only about 2 or 3 mm and doesn't cause any problems. Mine is 9mm!! Before the orthotics, my hips and spine were all out of whack. The shoe inserts re-aligned my whole body. This along with some pelvic floor muscle exercises, I'm a new man!!

I still get alittle sore after a massive day off the shoulder, bag style but nothing like before.

This job does take its toll but it beats digging holes man!!

Cheers

Peter Mega

I think i'm going to take this advice finally. I've heard it so many times and haven't acted on it. Such a tiny investment really for such a huge reward.

Exercise and looking after your strength and fitness are obviously important, only realized that in the last few years as I hit my mid 30's.. before that it felt like this work would never hurt me!

Sometimes I feel like I shouldnt complain as gear is lighter today than it ever has been.. still they want us to carry more of it so I guess we come out at about the same as a Nagra and all the D cells.. I think lighter construction will come, the 552 has a composite casing if I'm correct? I think carbon fiber is the way to go! It cant be machined like aluminum but I hope with time more of that material will get incorporated into our kit. Hopefully our backs will stay good so we can be around to enjoy that!

As an FYI a fully loaded Nagra weighed in at 17 pounds. A light weight for sure compared to todays fully loaded bags.

Eric