DPA LAVS

Tom Maloney

Maybe Larry F can answer this, or more appropriately, Glenn Sanders, is there a resistor involved when wiring up a DPA 4063 to connect to a Zacom transmitter? I remember in the past when requesting a lav mic to be wired for my Zaxcom transmitters, I was asked whether I wanted it wired with a resistor in the connector or not (asking also if the resistor had been installed IN the transmitter input). I have stopped worrying about all of this because I use all DPA 4063's into Zaxcom transmitters that I believe do have a resistor installed internally. Very confusing and I imagine as Larry points out, DPA could be a little clearer in their info.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Greg,

Removing the 4k resistor is perfectly fine if you are using the DPA's only with the older Lectro (non-servo) transmitters.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thank you for that info, I wondered myself if there was a difference if using newer Lectro Tx.

Jeff, I do believe that the 4063 Zax combo does not require any resistors. I personally had Pro-Sound cut off the microdot connector when I bought a new one thru them.

John, same thing - no microdot connectors in my 4061s. I had placed a 3.3k resistor on the hot lead myself when I wired 2 of them up - those are what I removed. I did buy a used one that actually had a capacitor in it that bridged the hot and ground that I also removed.

For the record, I generally do not get the DPAs with the microdot connector (or it is cut off right away) and I have them wired with the Lemo connector that Zaxcom and Sennheiser use (and I don't think there is a resistor in place but I will ask Forrest at Coffey Sound if there is one or not).

+1 for the DPAs here too. While people have already listed pros and cons with the microdot, the great sound and what not, I'd just like to add that what finally tipped me over was the concealers you can get to the 4060s. They are, like the lavs themselves, pretty pricey, but definitly makes hiding those mikes alot easier. Definitly beats the rubber mount, hush lavs, undercovers and most other stuff I've tried. Best all-around solution I've seen so far.

I'm a bit worried though, how water/moisture resistant they really are. I've had DPA 4017s (boom mics) die under surcomstances where our other Mkh 50s kept working just fine. So......I just try to keep my 4060s as dry as possible.

Back in October November I worked for a week in Portland Oregon in very high humidity and had no problems with the DPAs...

I'm a bit worried though, how water/moisture resistant they really are. I've had DPA 4017s (boom mics) die under surcomstances where our other Mkh 50s kept working just fine. So......I just try to keep my 4060s as dry as possible.

Back in October November I worked for a week in Portland Oregon in very high humidity and had no problems with the DPAs...

Great, might be the lavs are tougher than their boom mics. How about going underwater? I've had Sanken COS 11s go under water (with water proofed tx's), come up and still work just fine. Anybody tried that with their DPAs?

(I just wanna add: The 4017 is a great mic over all. The surcomstances where they malfunctioned were VERY humid and Saltwatery. It was not a scientific test.)

when i wire my 4063's i do not use any resistors.

Jeff, you are correct that all new TX - past serial #1213 or something - have a resistor pre-installed. which is great as the thought of trying to put resistors in those lemo connectors scares me.

I have never been able to get the 4061 to be quiet on a body, it's so suprising to hear that you all use them regularly. I tried all the tricks, double looping & sandwiching between neoprene & butyl, anchors etc., but I always heard noise. Also it's so much bigger than a Sanken or Countryman I resigned to using them as plants when I need a tiny plant.

The cable on all three of my DPAs are super microphonic and there's no way that noise would be anywhere near usable when I try it - how do you guys get these to work?

As plant mics or even "air out a room" mics they work awesome tho-

Dan Izen

I have never been able to get the 4061 to be quiet on a body, it's so suprising to hear that you all use them regularly. ---- Also it's so much bigger than a Sanken

It's surprising to me that you have had so little or no success with the mic I use all the time. Quite odd. I also do not find them "so much bigger" than Sanken COS-11 --- I think the measurements show that it is 1.2 mm bigger diameter at the head.

Sorry you are having such difficulty... you are missing out on a wonderful sounding mic.

I have never been able to get the 4061 to be quiet on a body, it's so suprising to hear that you all use them regularly. I tried all the tricks, double looping & sandwiching between neoprene & butyl, anchors etc., but I always heard noise. Also it's so much bigger than a Sanken or Countryman I resigned to using them as plants when I need a tiny plant.

The cable on all three of my DPAs are super microphonic and there's no way that noise would be anywhere near usable when I try it - how do you guys get these to work?

Dan Izen

For me it's either a moleskin sandwich (with the loop taped with transpore) or sometimes a vamp. I am interested in checking out the "concealers" though. I think the trick really is making sure the grill doesn't rub any fabric. I've never noticed the cable to be terribly microphonic...

Dan Izen

Thats very strange. I actually bough my DPA 4060s just because I found they had such a "quite cable". I got the concealers for them and they work great. The cable itself is so quite I never even bother looping it, sounds great anyway.

The thing is, I also have a COS11 witch has HORRIBLE cablenoise, to the point I just stopped using it altogether. But I understand it's a really popular mic, so I guess most brands have a "black sheep" now and then.

I have found the dpas to be quite shifting quality wise. If I line up four dpas, hard wired, Same gain settings on the mixer, no eq or compression, there will be quite drastic differences between the lavs. Ime, all dpas are pretty different.. Not just model wise.

I use the 4060 on my show, no problems with cable noise or other noise(s). So you could actually just have bad luck Dan.

(null)

Dan Izen

I agree with the other guys, 4060's and 4063's definately have less microphonic cable than the sankens. just like Rasmus, i never need to loop the cable either. worth getting to the bottom of this problem if you can, they're great.

Dan Izen

I have worked a bit with DPAs using their concealers. Works really well and is a quick solution. My favorite position is placement on the skin (chest). No loop necessary. Doesn't work with hairy chests and thick clothing though of course. Also I didn't like the sound in a tie knot so much.

I've used the DPAs once and was shocked at how natural they sounded. Especially when the talent had on a tight T shirt with lots of jewelry and I was forced to hide it in the neck of the shirt, where the adams apple indentation was. I've always had good results there, as far as cloth rustle (and escaping jewelry rumble) with the Sanken, but it never sounded as natural as the DPA does in that local.

• 4 months later...

So, just to sum up something about the 4063s: what would be the appropriate pin order to have it mounted for an SMV/SMQV ?

Dan, probably late since I'm kind of ''reviving'' this post, but if you got 4061s and wann order the LMC Sound vampire clip for DPA mics, I see it's been made for the 4071, which is a little bigger if memory serves...so your 4061s might be loose in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan, probably late since I'm kind of ''reviving'' this post, but if you got 4061s and wann order the LMC Sound vampire clip for DPA mics, I see it's been made for the 4071, which is a little bigger if memory serves...so your 4061s might be loose in there.

As a matter of fact, I've just looked at their website and mount is also compatible with other dpa lavs, including the 4061, which I also own. Here: http://lmcsound.com/products/c-mount.html

I have found the dpas to be quite shifting quality wise. If I line up four dpas, hard wired, Same gain settings on the mixer, no eq or compression, there will be quite drastic differences between the lavs.(...)

I have this issue with a pair of high sens. DPA 4060 (supplied together in a special kit!)

Surprising and pretty annoying

I use this set for plant, usually as boundary layer

I have worked a bit with DPAs using their concealers. Works really well and is a quick solution. My favorite position is placement on the skin (chest). No loop necessary. Doesn't work with hairy chests and thick clothing though of course. Also I didn't like the sound in a tie knot so much.

Is there a "Mic Bra" for the DPA 406x? It would be a great combination I guess...

Anyone tried using the Mic Bra for COS-11 with a 406x ?

Christian, can you elaborate more on this? I'm not sure i understand what kind of difference are you talking about? I have two 4060 and used them as a stereo pair, they sound exactly the same. With omni mic as with every other, but especially with omni mic - the placement is crucial.

"I have found the dpas to be quite shifting quality wise. If I line up four dpas, hard wired, Same gain settings on the mixer, no eq or compression, there will be quite drastic differences between the lavs."