"Nikon announces D4 'multi-media' DSLR" (rad headphone jack)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

Audio recording for professionals - The Nikon D4 features a stereo headphone jack for accurate monitoring of audio levels while recording. Output can be adjusted in up to 30 steps for precise audio adjustment. The D4 offers high-fidelity audio recording control with audio levels that can be set and monitored on the camera’s LCD screen. The microphone connected via the stereo mic jack can also be adjusted with up to 20 steps of sensitivity for accurate sound reproduction.

Professionals meaning people that's gone one step away from plainly thinking "there's sound on this camera". So Nikon means that professionals use a real input. By that definition we are all beyond professional and can entitle ourselves Deities. Thanks Nikon, I knew I was more than just professional :)

Theory is that since Nikon didn't have a pro video line to protect, the revolutionary inclusion of a headphone jack was possible. So you may see more desire to feed into cam as primary audio. This one is pretty pricey at $6k. Will be interesting if Nikon (others?) brings this audio functionality to a usable cam in the 2-3k range.

Looks like as info trickles in, the D4 may not have quite the performance/features hoped for.

But this made me wonder "A worse battery. Apparently regulation changes in Japan have forced a maximum capacity to batteries less than once allowed so the D4 has significantly less battery life than previous models."

Limiting the size of batteries? An environmental issue?