Is the Sony F900 HP mini out Mono only?

Audio Daddyo

As a split personality member of this forum (EFP Camera person, AND mixer), I own one of these cameras, and have to tell you that the 5 pin out will tell you that you are getting sound on each channel, but is not an absolute measure of the quality of the sound being recorded.

On many of these cameras, you will hear a low level "motorboating" in outputs... which is not being recorded. This is less common in well maintained cameras, and is not usually not heard in the monitor speaker on the side of the camera. However, it is wise to make a backup double system recording for this camera, especially in a narrative drama shoot.

I know, I know, a huge number of htese cameras have shot millions of hours of documentary and other field production, even some drama and fiction film, and they were the top camera at Sony for a long time, but.... Double system is safer than single system.

Oh, when you can get at the camera, there is a selector switch on operator side of the camera body that will let you select channel 1, 2, or mix feed to the headphones if you just need to confirm at set up. You will need to speak to the operator to get this switched hile they are shooting if you want confidence checks during a shoot. And remember, the headphone amp is low fidelity even on a well maintained f900... and the jack is prone to failure....

Lastly.. (sorry)... if you are using any splitting of the headphone jack output, don't forget to turn the monitor output on camera up to 90%-100% to get it to drive both your return and the split our headphone jack. It's not always "demand driven" output... so even if the operator does not have headphones plugged in, you may need the extra volume out of the camera to feed return to your mixer. The 5 pin does NOT require you do this.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that. Although I am aware of everything you described. I am working for NBC at the NH primary and backups are out if the question. To fast of a turn around. As you mentioned the mini headphone out sounds like crap. I will use my 5 pin to mini adapter tonight for the Romney/Haley event and see how that sounds.

Thanks,

Andy

Lastly.. (sorry)... if you are using any splitting of the headphone jack output, don't forget to turn the monitor output on camera up to 90%-100% to get it to drive both your return and the split our headphone jack. It's not always "demand driven" output... so even if the operator does not have headphones plugged in, you may need the extra volume out of the camera to feed return to your mixer. The 5 pin does NOT require you do this.

only if it sound devices mixer :-)

if it 900 f the output limiter on line output is factory setting is on , kicks at -10 dbfs

to shut it down you need to open the camera boards , if you like to doi t , just switch to ramps and do google, you will find where it is :-)

for 900 r you can make it inside the audio page menu.

MR uretzky Dont worry - be happy .

MS

only if it sound devices mixer :-)

if it 900 f the output limiter on line output is factory setting is on , kicks at -10 dbfs

to shut it down you need to open the camera boards , if you like to doi t , just switch to ramps and do google, you will find where it is :-)

for 900 r you can make it inside the audio page menu.

MR uretzky Dont worry - be happy .

MS

Who is Mr. uretzky?

Andy

Hey Andy...you won't like the return quality on the five pin

...the motoboating and pumping will drive you nuts. Go with the mini and move the switch to mix...you can't isolate but at least hear just fine! If you can find Bo Weitz among the throngs up there he has been thru this problem with the folks at LIC for years, and can tell you more.

Hey Andy...you won't like the return quality on the five pin

...the motoboating and pumping will drive you nuts. Go with the mini and move the switch to mix...you can't isolate but at least hear just fine! If you can find Bo Weitz among the throngs up there he has been thru this problem with the folks at LIC for years, and can tell you more.

Thanks for the info. Is Bo Weitz a soundman or a cameraman? Do you know who he is working for up here? I'll ask around. It seems like no matter what I do the return is not going to sound good. I'm going to check out the 5 pin tonight after i deactivate the limiter but if it is as bad as described I'll go back to the HP out.

I'm pretty sure no matter what I do Romney is still not going to sound good. ( :

Thanks everyone for the info.

Andy

" the return is not going to sound good "

Since U-matic, I have learned to recognise camcorder monitoring limitations, and then deal with them, These returns clearly confirm that the audio is getting into and through the camcorder satisfactorily...If there are major problems, they are also clearly observed.

This has been Sony's way for so long...no stereo monitoring on industrial/broadcast cams. Even so..surprised it is still like this.

in case it's any help, the manual is here:

http://www.cinematog...es/F900_Ops.pdf

using the pdf pages (not manual pages)

P. 27: monitor switches

P. 156: VTR section audio settings

P. 158: fan settings

p. 230: audio output levels

p.25: cue in setting