Great Storage Solution for MKH-416 Mic

benr

Not sure how many of you know about these already, but I thought I'd post about it anyway with some pics for those that do not as I think this is a very good solution for any that have been looking.

I bought a Sennheiser MKH-416 last year and like many of us newbies dabbling in the DSLR video and audio world I started with the Rode NTG-3 as a first shotgun mic. When I decided to upgrade to the 416 and sold the NTG-3 I was sad to see the storage case that the Rode came with go. For those that dont know the Rode NTG-3 comes with a very nice aluminum, pipe bomb looking, rubber gasket sealed storage case. There is nice squishy black foam inside the barrel and in the end caps as well. And since the NTG-3 and MKH-416 are nearly identical in every way, the 416 happens to fit in the NTG-3's storage tube. So I began looking around to see where I could get just the storage tube alone. Turned out no one sold it by itself and most places I talked to didnt even know what I was talking about.

Eventually I found myself contacting Rode at 1-925-548-9451 and learned that the case is called a Baton in Australia and a Storage Cylinder here in the states by Rode's customer service people and that the part number is: 310-001-1-2. After talking to a Rode rep here in the states, he was nice enough to just give me a storage cylinder for free! I didnt even have to pay shipping. While I cant guarantee they will do that for anyone that calls, I at least wanted to make those that werent aware something like this existed and will be MUCH less expensive and IMO better than cases made by say ALFA (LINK) or any others. And I figured even if Rode wanted to sell you one I doubt they would charge much.

Anyway, hope this info is of some use to someone. Just trying to give back a little. :)

post-3241-0-80598400-1325878757.jpg

post-3241-0-91453900-1325878758.jpg

post-3241-0-88676200-1325878759.jpg

post-3241-0-66250900-1325878760.jpg

Indeed.

And honestly I tried to give them money for it, they just were not interested. This case was worth AT THE LEAST $20 plus shipping to me. He said they didnt really have a cost for it since its not sold in retail by itself and they only come with the NTG-3 mics so there wasnt really a way or amount to charge me. How could I argue with that?!

Wow! Thats a bit overpriced. I couldnt find anyone that sold them, but then again, I didnt even know what they were called. Doing a quick google for "Rode NCNTG3" brings up no one selling them except Adorama. I bet they got smart to how nice this case is and bought a bunch cheap from Rode who'll give them away and marked them up to the competition.

Just buy a NTG3 and throw the mic in the garbage. That's an easy way to get the case :P

lol terrible! You know what really sucks about buying that mic? The fact that if you bought it new its like $699 most places, but they sell used for around $350 on eBay pretty much everywhere, so its dang near impossible to recover your money from the resale, no matter how new it is.

Is the 416 a tight fit at 9.84 x 0.74"? Could use something compact like this for a CS3e (10.6 X 0.75")

Based on B&H's specs for the two mics HERE and HERE:

The CS3e is 270mm long and 19mm in diameter

and the MKH-416 is 250mm long and 19mm in diameter

So the diameter is fine but the length is questionable.

The Third image I posted shows the 416 pushed all the way in against the other cap. It really doesnt look like another 20mm will fit...

$50

http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_3.html

The Dry Tube fits microphones 20mm or smaller in diameter (e.g. Sennheiser 416 at 19mm). Since the tube is clear, you can see what is stored inside during an ‘idiot check’ without opening the tube. There are specific lengths for the more common microphones and custom lengths for microphones not so common. You may store several spare capsules in short tubes with foam inserts in between for protection.

http://www.macarthurgroup.com/drytube.htm

The Dry Tube fits microphones 20mm or smaller in diameter (e.g. Sennheiser 416 at 19mm). Since the tube is clear, you can see what is stored inside during an ‘idiot check’ without opening the tube. There are specific lengths for the more common microphones and custom lengths for microphones not so common. You may store several spare capsules in short tubes with foam inserts in between for protection.

It is called the Dry Tube because silica gel in the end caps keeps the contents dry when stored. See illustration. The hexagonal ends prevent rolling off a slanted surface.

Man..even vendors call us idiots.

$50

http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_3.html

http://www.macarthur...com/drytube.htm

Man..even vendors call us idiots.

Maybe it doesnt matter, but it would sure bug the heck out of me, whats to prevent the mic from knocking against the sides of that storage tube if its not an exact fit for the length and pressed firmly up against those end cap pads? Or is that blue foamed wrapped around the tube wall. Looks like its just the end caps with the case of the 416.

• 2 weeks later...