Nice picture of Fisher Boom

Laurence

I was going to post this picture under the newly found 'Images of Interest' page as well. I'm to slow. I would like to add that the photographer was woman named Eve Arnold who was working in what was then considered a mans job. Interesting history about her in today obits in the LA n NY Times today.

@ Mike. I'm guessing a 668 but that is only a guess. IT could be a RCA BK 6B under the wind gag. This picture is from 1960 so maybe Eric knows;~)

CrewC

Laurence: Great photo!

Crew: Doubt the mike is a 668. EV didn't release that until about 1964. The BK-6 is the RCA lavalier, so that's out as well. Could of been a RCA BK-5B, but those were pretty rare on film sets (mostly used in broadcast).

My guess is either the RCA MI-10002, which was released in 1958, or more likely the Altec/Western Electric 639 series, which was around since 1940.

Unfortunately, both of the sound recordists credited on the film are now gone, so we'll probably never know, unless the sound reports for the film still exist in the United Artists production files (a lot of the older reports I've seen from the 1940's to the '60's listed the primary mike and recorder used).

--S

@ Mike. I'm guessing a 668 but that is only a guess. IT could be a RCA BK 6B under the wind gag. This picture is from 1960 so maybe Eric knows;~) BK6B - ;D I've still got two.......!

post-58-0-98253200-1325961794.jpg

post-58-0-73568700-1325961900.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That may be so, Glen... and I've never seen a small Mole Richardson like that so I can't say for certain... but that sure looks like a Fisher Model 2 arm on a Model 3 base. Let's take a look at a photo of the one you've got in your shop and see if we can make a match.

It's a toss up.

Here is a photo of a Mole Richardson circa 1960

post-273-0-54009100-1328329538.jpg

But on closer inspection I'll call it the Fisher.

Richard,

i'd love to find out that I'm wrong, but I'm betting you have it reversed. I'm betting the photo in the original post is a Mole Richardson (the arm and base are exactly like one of mine) and I'm betting that the photo in your post is a Fisher. The base in your photo seems to have the crab steering feature, which, if I recall correctly, was unique to the Fisher. I'll double check mine for any brand markings when back in Nashville next week. I'd love to find out that I own one Fisher and one Mole Richardson, but I'm betting that I have two Mole Richardsons of different vintages.

gt

Notice the very wide stance of the base in the original post. This is because the main axles can be pulled out wide for stability, and pushed back in to be narrow for doorways and storage. The Mole Richardson Perambulator had this same feature, but the base in Richard Lightstone's photo (definitely a Fisher) does not.

Also, the photo of the original post may look like it has the same type of steering mechanism as the one on Richard's photo, but the base in Richard's photo (a Fisher) has a steering WHEEL, while the photo in the original post has a steering LEVER that also acts as a brake for the back wheel. The Mole Richardson perambulator has this same unique braking feature but in a slightly different design.

gt

On further research of the photo I posted, it is indeed a Mole Richarsdon Boom as proved by the photo of their famous insignia. Sorry Glen.

post-273-0-99249300-1328379153.jpg

Here is a link to where I found the images.

http://www.bblist.co....php?item=26345

Their notes indicates that this boom was used by the CBC and is available in Canada. I like fact that it is photographed on a farm with a tractor in the BG.

Glen, if you decide to purchase it for your collection you could now check the box on the Canadian immigration form that always asks "Do you plan on visiting a farm while in Canada?"

That question always puzzled me, but now I know why it's there.