Bang for the buck bag power?

Chase Yeremian

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it fits perfect in the RM multi extreme. I personally do not carry my bag all day. mostly just sits in one place. the same company also has a smaller 98 Watt Hour battery for $149

• MP-100 http://www.bixnet.com/pm100.html
  • Capacity: 98 Wh
  • Weighs only 1.8 Lbs.

or even lighter than that:

http://www.bixnet.com/exnobapo80.html

• Capacity: 73 Wh
  • Weighs only 1.4 Lbs

I think I'll also give an update with the batteries I went with.

I ordered 2 of these http://www.paulcbuff.com/vmb88a.php

and 2 of the chargers as well.

They charge up to about 16.6 volts and they have a cutoff at 11v. I am able to power a nomad 8 with Zaxnet on, a QRX100 and charge my phone all day off one battery and get it to maybe 13v (according to the nomad display). I mean all day, I only power off during lunch generally.

Each battery being <90 bucks and chargers at <25 dollars I could not be happier. So far I have used them on easily 60 full days of shooting with no sign of memory loss. They charge pretty fast (maybe 4 hours) are relatively light weight and fit perfectly inside the back flap of my PEGZ1 bag. The connectors for the battery are cheap and easy to terminate so I made a few.

If nothing else would be a good inexpensive backup battery to have on hand for your NP1 setup or whatever else you are using.

-Chase

Maybe I can be of some help: "you moron buy your battery from hi price dealer who steal your money and I have the answer with 3 of your stupid dollars for battery that lasts longer than you will in this job since you give your equipment for nothing to do your stupid sh*t"

Jeff,

Are sure Oleg isn't your alter ego? That response was a little too good.

• 4 weeks later...

Recheargeable AA's. 661 takes 4, FP-24 takes 2. Problem is they have different battery lives with the Marantz going for 3.5-5 hrs when not using phantom and the FP-24 lasting 3 or more at 15v. Would rather just change one thing when the juice dies, but don't think it's worth $250-300+ for me at this moment.

I think you are right.

One affordable possibility might be Sony L-series batteries (7.2v) I know your FP-24 can handle it, but I don't know the voltage range for your recorder. If it can handle up to 8.5 v, you can use them.

If you know the voltage range of your recorder, send me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

Recheargeable AA's. 661 takes 4, FP-24 takes 2. Problem is they have different battery lives with the Marantz going for 3.5-5 hrs when not using phantom and the FP-24 lasting 3 or more at 15v. Would rather just change one thing when the juice dies, but don't think it's worth $250-300+ for me at this moment.

Pretty heavy:

Weight 3.5 pounds total weight (total system, including battery and inverter)

Dimensions 2.75” x 4.3” x 7.8” dimensions including battery, latch and power switch protrusions

Hey I just wanted to point out there is no need for the inverter for bag power. It goes battery>BDS>components. Battery is maybe 1-1.5 pounds.

I'm having a hard time finding an L-type battery sled/plate. I need to run a Shure FP-24. It can range from 5-14v. It has a 5.5mm outer and 2.1mm inner DC in, pin positive sleeve negative. A cheap pre-built one would be fine as would a sled and cable (I can get it soldered locally). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a Marantz PMD611 but it can only do up to 5v and sips batteries without phantom power, so I am just going to focus on the more power-hungry FP-24.

Jason suggested I go with a 7.2v system for optimum efficiency, so preference to that over a 12v system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also: if anyone has one kicking around they want to sell, or wants to make one we can discuss prices for your time and labor.

Hey I just wanted to point out there is no need for the inverter for bag power. It goes battery>BDS>components. Battery is maybe 1-1.5 pounds.

Actually, it depends on the components... most of the stuff we use requires DC, and thus confirms your assertion... some of the stuff some folks use (regardless of their reasoning) might just require AC power and thus an inverter... personally, I'm not sure why anyone would ever go this route for a bag rig, but stranger things have happened?

~tt

Actually, it depends on the components... most of the stuff we use requires DC, and thus confirms your assertion... some of the stuff some folks use (regardless of their reasoning) might just require AC power and thus an inverter... personally, I'm not sure why anyone would ever go this route for a bag rig, but stranger things have happened?

~tt

Yeah good point, though I really hope people aren't running setups like that! (for their backs sake :). I should of also pointed out that there is no need for an inverter in my bag setup! YMMV

I'm having a hard time finding an L-type battery sled/plate. I need to run a Shure FP-24. It can range from 5-14v. It has a 5.5mm outer and 2.1mm inner DC in, pin positive sleeve negative. A cheap pre-built one would be fine as would a sled and cable (I can get it soldered locally). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a Marantz PMD611 but it can only do up to 5v and sips batteries without phantom power, so I am just going to focus on the more power-hungry FP-24. Jason suggested I go with a 7.2v system for optimum efficiency, so preference to that over a 12v system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also: if anyone has one kicking around they want to sell, or wants to make one we can discuss prices for your time and labor.

NIckp, http://www.lectrosonics.com/417-BATTSLED/View-details.html might do the trick. I couldn't find anywhere what the output voltage is, but an email to Lectro would garnish the answer.

Hawkwoods also make some interesting sleds but they are all 12v output.

Cheers Nate

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I've been helping my son build his bag, and we've mined this site for all the information we could find.

He graduated from Columbia in Chicago, and is now working in the Chicago area.

Any how, being a hacker/maker I was wondering why no one is using power tool batteries. The batteries are available everywhere and have great amp hour ratings, and are cheap, or using something like this:

http://www.theultimatepowertrip.com.

When I looked onto powering his Sennheiser receivers from the bag, the DC-2 was 65 dollars, but the DC to DC converter with the same rating is 9 dollars.

As far as a battery monitor goes:

http://www.hobbyking...idproduct=10080

Just looking for some input, because I'm a outsider, and have no experience in your field at all.

Thanks,

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I've been helping my son build his bag, and we've mined this site for all the information we could find.

He graduated from Columbia in Chicago, and is now working in the Chicago area.

Any how, being a hacker/maker I was wondering why no one is using power tool batteries. The batteries are available everywhere and have great amp hour ratings, and are cheap, or using something like this:

http://www.theultimatepowertrip.com.

When I looked onto powering his Sennheiser receivers from the bag, the DC-2 was 65 dollars, but the DC to DC converter with the same rating is 9 dollars.

As far as a battery monitor goes:

http://www.hobbyking...idproduct=10080

Just looking for some input, because I'm a outsider, and have no experience in your field at all.

Thanks,

Weight. Those things can be quite heavy. Since your already browsing hobbyking, take a look at their lipo batteries. That's a good weight/Mah ratio.

I bought this:

http://www.current-l...products_id=206

But the same unit is here for less with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a7404cf44

With a pipe cutter I cut the (+) top off a dead AA battery. (be careful, the alkaline is nasty stuff. I had gloves, and glasses on and cut it under lightly running water). Then popped the (-) cap off. It's spot welded.

I cut the mounting ears off the Dc to Dc converter.

On the negative end I wanted the power in wires to exit the case where they do on the DC-2.

I held the + & - caps on the end and traced them )( . Above where the two circles met, I drilled two very shallow holes. then on the inside I drilled down to meet those holes. ( do not drill deeper you will start to meet electronics soon after.) Pull the 12v wires through. Red and Black ( I may add a diode so it won't get hurt if it gets hooked up backwards.)

3.3v wires Yellow and black

Drilled two holes for the wires on a 45 from inside to outside. For the yellow wire I dremeled a little trench for the wire to lay in. Solder the black wire to the - cap and the yellow to the + part of the battery I cut off.

Hot glued them in place. On the + cap I held the soldering iron on the cap until I could push it into the plastic to make it the exact size (lengthwise) of a AA battery.

With 10v to 18v they output a nice 3.3v

I'll put some connectors on the 12v side then send them off to my son. I didn't have he receivers here for a test fit...

post-6757-0-26846600-1347904239_thumb.jp

post-6757-0-85894600-1347904244_thumb.jp

post-6757-0-02505500-1347904253_thumb.jp