Timecode Question F3 to 744t

gabemonts

My point was more that there is no such thing as 59.94 timecode, just poorly worded.

When the F3 is set to a 23.98 mode, the HDSDI output can be set for either 59.94i with a 2:3 cadence built in or 23.98PsF. (Yes, I know it's 23.976, just quoting the Sony manual nomenclature..:-) ) That difference is probably what is causing our confusion.

Derek, yes, if you feed a 744T DF code when it is set for ND, the TC indicator will flash.

Yes I think we're on the same page.

Phil, I'm fairly sure I set the 744t to 29.97 and the 744t recognized code (mistaken of course when I stated I set it to 59.94... what i get for not having it in front of me).

cheers!

• 1 year later...

Ah, this is exactly what I was after. So despite the output tc being 59.94, if I jam to my 744t set to 23.976, It will wait for the top of the second to jam, and therefore will be in sync with the f3 in camera footage recording at 23.976.

Thanks guys!

Correct. Just remember, the timecode rate will always be 29.97 for 59.94i (and 25 for 50i for that matter) video modes.

Alright, so will this same idea work with an F800 and a 552 with a syncbox?

I'm thinking I should use the camera running at 59.94 as the master, jam my SB-3 set to 29.97, and let it live on the 552. Matt, do you think this would work or do you think it's risky since maybe the sync boxes don't jam on the 00 frame?