Proper Hush Lav use with Sankens

saadasound

I just got 2 sanken COS-11's from Gotham Sound. I also picked up some Hush Lavs as well. I've seen them used many times before, however, when I tried to mount one for the first time yesterday, it didn't seem to effect the clothing noise at all. I wanted to find out what the best way to mount the hush lavs would be. I'm using topstick and moleskin.

I just got 2 sanken COS-11's from Gotham Sound. I also picked up some Hush Lavs as well. I've seen them used many times before, however, when I tried to mount one for the first time yesterday, it didn't seem to effect the clothing noise at all. I wanted to find out what the best way to mount the hush lavs would be. I'm using topstick and moleskin.

Don't go crazy sticking the Hush Lav down. I've had pretty good luck wrapping the foam with black moleskin (allows for longer life) and tacking it down on one side, generally the side with the seam in the moleskin. If you go crazy gluing the thing on, you give up all that foamy Hush Lav goodness.

Best regards,

Jim

I've been using the Hush Lavs pretty extensively these days. One of the things that they do is help you distance the mic from noise-making elements. After all, when it comes to sound, we're dealing with the inverse square law, so any increased distance is an improvement. I often use Super Stick It Strips when taping one in. It's similar to TopStick, but more sticky and can be reused a few times. Whether I tape the other side down, or add a soft surface to cushion rubbing, depends upon the circumstances.

One note, the black Hush lavs do not use a fully permanent ink. If your hands are moist, the color will come off on your fingers if you handle them much. Consequently, caution is in order when using black Hush Lavs on delicate clothing that could be damaged if it's someone's personal wardrobe.

One note, the black Hush lavs do not use a fully permanent ink. If your hands are moist, the color will come off on your fingers if you handle them much. Consequently, caution is in order when using black Hush Lavs on delicate clothing that could be damaged if it's someone's personal wardrobe.

This is true, see this thread...

Did you not get the RM-11's? Love these things!! Using them against skin directly with transpore right over top of RM11 onto skin, then you can add a piece of topstick to the top of the RM11/transpore and press the clothing (if needed) to that and walla... fast and very effective.

Did you not get the RM-11's? Love these things!! Using them against skin directly with transpore right over top of RM11 onto skin, then you can add a piece of topstick to the top of the RM11/transpore and press the clothing (if needed) to that and walla... fast and very effective.

Yes, but with a guy you can expect perhaps a slight negative reaction as you rip his chest hair out when removing the mic.

Yes, but with a guy you can expect perhaps a slight negative reaction as you rip his chest hair out when removing the mic.

I try to avoid sticking to skin but sometimes you just have to.

However, when removing the mic/tape from male chest hair, I always tell them that usually you'd have to pay for hair removal, I'm doing it for you for free!!

It's common practice for me notice if hair will be an obstacle to begin with, I ask... most of the time they don't care... if they don't, I proceed and let them remove it on their own in the end. Been zero complaints so far... and until there are, I will continue. If they don't want tape.. then I still use the RM11 and wedge it between clothing using the same method. Love the RM-11's :) It's easy to make similar pieces out of a few layers of moleskin, but they're just not as reusable as the RM's.

I keep adhesive remover packets on the cart and in the wiring kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Pdi-Adhesive-Remover-Packet-Applicator/dp/B0015THZCQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1326033863&sr=1-2

After obtaining permission to tape to skin with hair, I offer an adhesive remover pad for them to take with (sometimes the wardrobe person will take it and keep it because the giving needs to come with a warning that the pad is oily and may damage wardrobe), along with an alcohol packet to clean the skin of the oil.

-- Jan

I had an actress get a weird rash-like thing after maybe 2 weeks of transpore use. First time I had somebody react to it, and fortunately it was in a place the camera wasn't going to see. Hypoallergenic just means that *most* people don't have a reaction to it.

and sticks much better imo. Scott Harber

Really? Interesting... i've had the complete opposite experience hehe. Never had any "sound related" issues with the transpore against skin, clothing maybe... but most of the time when I'm attaching to fabric I use a vamp instead. I'm really interested in trying out some of these, or make something similar myself for clothing scenarios

c-mount-vampire.jpg

Really? Interesting... i've had the complete opposite experience hehe. Never had any "sound related" issues with the transpore against skin, clothing maybe... but most of the time when I'm attaching to fabric I use a vamp instead. I'm really interested in trying out some of these, or make something similar myself for clothing scenarios

c-mount-vampire.jpg

Interresting thing. Is that for COS11? I have the cylindrical Vamp-clip for my COS11 and it works......ok. Is this better?

Second thought: Would that thing work for my DPA 4060s? Cause right now DPA has no vamp clip, except some weird double mic version.

Here's the link to the company behind them http://lmcsound.com/products/c-mount.html I have been using the cylindrical type myself too with great results. There's been a few times I thought this hybrid of a RM11 and vamp would have been really useful though.

Here's the link to the company behind them http://lmcsound.com/...ts/c-mount.html I have been using the cylindrical type myself too with great results. There's been a few times I thought this hybrid of a RM11 and vamp would have been really useful though.

I've been testing out the 'tie' type mount myself - worked great for that application, though I dunno if it was that much better than simply using a blob of Joe's in the knot. Keeps the glue off the mic and allows fractionally more breathing space for a pop shield.

My co-recordist has been using the DPA vamp (see website) and is very pleased with it. The rubber is soft and flexible unlike the stiff plastic Cos vamps.

Those RM11-esque mounts look very chunky. Difficult to judge the size on the 'page' so to speak though. I'd like to hear what a TR50 sounds like mounted in one!

Here's the link to the company behind them http://lmcsound.com/...ts/c-mount.html I have been using the cylindrical type myself too with great results. There's been a few times I thought this hybrid of a RM11 and vamp would have been really useful though.

I had no idea these existed and this could be the ticket for those DPA lavs, although the cable might still be very noisy... Thanks for that link!

Dan Izen

I've achieved some great results with this rig:

post-379-0-11026700-1326387150.jpg

Of course, it all depends on how much 'real estate' one has with which to work, but if you have it you get the mounting benefits of the RM-11 and a fair amount of added isolation from the Hush Lav... not as much as you'd achieve with a full Hush Lav, but the footprint is a little easier to conceal in many cases, and definitely easier to mount if you're using adhesives like Top Stick. I agree with Scott Harbor about Transpore -- when it loses adhesion (which seems to happen pretty frequently), the noise is unbearable.

~tt