Proper Hush Lav use with Sankens

saadasound

Of course, it all depends on how much 'real estate' one has with which to work, but if you have it you get the mounting benefits of the RM-11 and a fair amount of added isolation from the Hush Lav... not as much as you'd achieve with a full Hush Lav, but the footprint is a little easier to conceal in many cases, and definitely easier to mount if you're using adhesives like Top Stick.

I seem to constantly run into the issue of tight T-shirts or at least situations where the lav shows as a lump. I've had more luck just isolating the lav inside an adhesive sandwich, either of Topstick or gaffer tape, and whatever else I can do to stop the clothing from rustling. I agree that the RM11 works great if you have some cleavage to work with.

Thanks John,

Made me laugh -- so true, so true...

It can be a bit of a challenge convincing talent that the best place for a lav is (for instance) adhered directly to their person (especially if their person is "folically blessed" (or cursed)... but it can be even more of a challenge trying to explain to a Director or EP why a scene (or portion thereof) has to be looped because they were running wides and tights, you couldn't get a boom anywhere near talent, and the lav sounds like it's in their back pocket. This is why it's so important to me to establish a rapport with the actors as early as possible.

I seem to constantly run into the issue of tight T-shirts or at least situations where the lav shows as a lump. I've had more luck just isolating the lav inside an adhesive sandwich, either of Topstick or gaffer tape, and whatever else I can do to stop the clothing from rustling. I agree that the RM11 works great if you have some cleavage to work with.

Cleavage is the Soundie's best friend in this respect, although it's not without it's own "set" of challenges -- one can "rack" his "melon" trying to place the lav just right so as to avoid (the mic) getting smothered. ;)

~tt

• 2 weeks later...

I find that with a Hush Lav stuffed up in a tie knot, I still get the scratchy tie noise that usually comes from the tie material and fabric weave pattern rubbing against each other. Also it really tends to give me what I feel is a throaty sound from the mic being placed too close to vibrations from the neck. I've noticed that poking the Cos-11 head just outside of the know greatly decreases and fabric noise, but once you go in for a close up.... "Hello Lav!!" Any tips on how better use the Hush Lav in a tie knot????

I ran into this a couple of times as well. Never did figure it out, but I had to stop using it or incur the wrath of the makeup dept. (the actress was actually very blase about the problem. Rare...)

--Scott

I had an actress get a weird rash-like thing after maybe 2 weeks of transpore use. First time I had somebody react to it, and fortunately it was in a place the camera wasn't going to see. Hypoallergenic just means that *most* people don't have a reaction to it.