Audioroot cLINK cam hop - interesting

Soundwil

Here's a link to the Audioroot cLINK 2.4Ghz camera hop:

http://www.audioroot.fr/audioroot-wireless-audio-camera-link-product-42.html

I'm not sure of the various attempts to use the 2.4Ghz as the frequencies for a camera hop because of all the 'other' types of kit trying to use these frequencies including the 2.4Ghz video senders that would be sitting a few inches away!

Apart from that I think it looks fantastic!

Wil

It does look really good but you have to hope the 2.4 ghz automatic frequency hopping routine works. Another interesting thing is what they call "Virtual Return" as described:

"A bidirectionnal control channel and a VIRTUAL RETURN audio output helps the operator to monitor the state of the wireless link. The virtual return output is a copy of the stereo signal that is being fed to the transmitter. This output is muted when the transmitter hasn't received control informations from the receiver during the last 3 seconds."

Not actually a returned signal but according to cLink it does provide a level of confidence. It's a little cheeky to do it this way, giving you essentially an "E to E" monitor audio but then interrupting it if some other part of the transmission/system has failed. It does remind me of the discussions in the early days of digital file based recording where there was no feasible way of providing a realtime confidence monitor where you could HEAR the audio that had been recorded. We all learned that "confidence" can be had by relying on unseen and unheard things like checksum verification, read after write, etc.

I have seen a prototype in December. I wish i could test it in March....In a very busy wifi space. If I test it, i will do a review.

Yeah please do.

Would like to know how much this costs also?

So this is stereo return as well right? I would rather have a real return coming out of camera than they re "virtual" return. Having a camera operator flipping a switch without you knowing it could have you "virtually" in major, major trouble.

" I'm not too confident having main audio sends at the 2.4 range atm with all the wifi going on. "

There is an awful lot of stuff going on in 2.4GHz range quite reliably....

" We all learned that "confidence" can be had by relying on unseen and unheard things like checksum verification, read after write, etc. " (and I remember there was a lot of resistance, at first)...

I suspect the same applies to stuff like this!

I'm not too confident having main audio sends at the 2.4 range atm with all the wifi going on. Return on 2.4 sure, not a huge worry. Be curious of hearing a review though..... didn't see a price tag yet?

Also, depending on what happens with white space devices we may all be saying the same thing about the TV band in a few years...

I am very interested in seeing these in real world setting!

Price Point will be huge.. If its close to zaxcom tgen im going zax but id be willing to give these a shot if it wont break the bank...

Also where is the external power supply option? Im happy it uses double a's as well but i want to power it off the camera or out of my bag if i can..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

E-mailed them about a couple of months ago >>

Dear Aris,

Thank you for your message. The cLINK is currently still in developement. We were planning a release for the end of the year but unfortunately a chip on which relied most of the design was discontinued (bad luck).

So right now some of the specs can still change and a release date can not be announced. Stay tuned on our website for more informations regarding the release of the product.

In the meantime feel free to ask for any further informations you would need and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Antoine MALNATI

AUDIOROOT