nomad 7/8 fader's

Michael McQueen

the challenge, easily control levels of tracks 7+. i've got a job starting tomorrow where i've got 6 talent and boom. they need iso's while mixing hop to camera. my first solution was to stick a mic pre in my bag and run into my return 1/2 for tracks 7/8. luckily i had a few ta5 cables made so i could work with those ta5 connectors: ta5f to female 1/8"(camera return), ta5f to dual xlrf and ta5f to ta3f. so i had some options of to ways to get into those additional channels. but then i remembered i had an emergency that I had in my 302 kit, which has ta3m connectors.

nomadfader.jpg

so for those of us who are looking for some sort of POT/fader for the additional channels then getting an emergency RX can be a good setup. price wise, its about $180 for the box and then whatever you choose for the cabling. and since we haven't even seen what zaxcom has up their sleeve for the 4 fader add on, this is it for now...

Glenn announced in late December that the 4 fader add-on was no longer being planned. Here is his post quoted from another thread:

"The 4 fader add on is on hold. We thought we might need it before we came up with the 4 fader home menu to supplement the 6 hardware faders. Being able to control groups of channels as a fader master also helps to eliminate the need for more hardware.

The way the unit came out we can easily mix 10 analog inputs at one time with just the hardware that is there. We do not see any need at this time to add size, weight, cost and a possible RF spray problem to Nomad.

Glenn"

Incidentally Mike how are you finding mixing on the Nomad in general? I've just come off a two month gig with the 788 and whilst I'm now quite comfortable with it as a recorder I personally found the CL8 quite horrible to mix on - I thought the faders felt 'squishy' and unpleasant and also difficult to set in terms of gain structure unlike those on the 552 or my SQN5.

to be honest, i haven't mixed much with it. i'm jumping on an 11 day gig tomorrow that will be mixing 6 wires + boom(recording iso's), so we'll see how it goes. i've mostly been just recording a lot with it, for dslr, and the only mixing has been two wires + boom. but shouldn't be too bad, looking forward to gettin my mix on!