A 2nd Lectro SRa receiver - same block?

Davideo

One of my big purchases for 2012 will be a second SRa receiver and two more SMQVs. My current SRa is on block 21, and here in northern NJ I’ve found block 21 to be incredibly vacant. I’ve used it all over NJ, NYC and Philly, and never had any problems with interference (of course I always scan the frequencies first.)

It will be used in a bag holding 2 SRa’s (with a Lectro Quad Pack) and a Nomad 6 which (surprise, surprise) I don’t have yet.

So why shouldn’t I buy another SRa on the same block?

On the other hand I has multiples SRa on block 21 ( 4 ) and I had a hard time finding freqencies for all te tx. I have since swapped to all different block with an empty block in between each receivers. I, now , have a system that plays really nice with itself an also lots of alternatives when I go to new places. This is where the front end tracking I the UCR411a is a bonus. It narrows the open rf window of the receiver from the full block ( 25mhz ) to a narrow 5mhz thus you can have more tx with less issues. That's also where the SRa is not as good, and works so much better with a block separation plan.

Pascal

Interesting that you're doing so well with your block 21s in North Jersey, because here in Manhattan block 21 has become very difficult to use. I've actually been thinking of switching to block 19 for my hops. I would be wary of investing more in block 21 right now, just based on my experiences the past few years.

I'd also personally go for a different block then you have so that you could use them as camera hops as well as extra talent mics. You will not find anyone who doesn't like block 26 in NYC.

E.

" Why put all your eggs in one basket? "

after 4 (or 2 x SR) I'd make my 3rd SR on a different block, an then build up additional mix and match capabilities...

But that is just me; I've never had trouble finding 4 freq's, and I alsways separate my TX's for hops from my RX's for inputs...

again that is what works for me...

Cris have you tried physical separation between the rx and the nomad?

Senator LarryF told me about the 1 bar =50% less range?

not really since my SRa power cable is quite short. I will do that as soon as I can. One thought I had was that when I tested the SRa was on the right side of the Nomad (close to the display), as was Mike's 21 SRa (if I recall right), as opposed to the block 20 Sra which had almost no interference (Nomad RF thread), which was placed away from the display. Might it have to do with the display? Sending out stronger RF? I will check as soon as I have the time.

Anyways, on the first test there were plenty frequencies with just one pixel. This discussion with the scan results is of course quite theoretical, so practical walk tests to determine range differences would surely be the best we can do. But heck, who has the time for that?

The main reason to use the same block would be if you flip your kit as a camera hop and want to feed two cameras with on set of TXs. Maybe 2 years ago I did a whole bunch of jobs on prosumer cameras (no TC) that they wanted me to feed my audio to two cameras. I have not done it in a while, but I think it's more a coincidence than a trend.

If this is just to build a back-happy kit, then I would definitely split the blocks.

i bought 2 on the same block for the option of dual camera hop

+1 I bought 2 in the same block to have more options for mixing and matching... works very well. I probably don't have to yet, but I'll select pre-coordinated frequencies, and everything's working just fine.

Maybe get a different block if your kit grows past the 2nd SR.

Cheers,

Rich