Sound Report Writer app

Tyler Faison

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while the app is a great tool, here's 2 things that i think will prevent me to use it for my next job: ( i am on android) : first i didn't find a way to autoconform file names to match those of my nomad ( apart typing the file name for each take but that is not a possibility) and again not being able even manually to add a letter to the take number to mark wild sound and false take , pick up takes etc...maybe it's only an european way of doing things but i don't see myself changing a established workflow because my phone app..

The file name thing is a major problem cause for me the nowadays the biggest utilty af a sound report is to have the file name of each takes written somewhere for post..

I have a build that I'm testing on the iOS version that adds the filename option amongst other things. Once I get that finalized I hope to tweak the android version. I base the priority on the number of users and requests and the iOS version has about 20x the users. I do still have a bug I need to get out of the droid version as well. I have some scheduled time off coming up so I hope to make a lot of progress soon.

Not sure if this is the bug your are talking about but on my Exhibit II, when I "hide" the application to do anything else and then try to get back into it, I have to force close the program and restart it. No progress lost though thankfully.

Not sure if this is the bug your are talking about but on my Exhibit II, when I "hide" the application to do anything else and then try to get back into it, I have to force close the program and restart it. No progress lost though thankfully.

That bug that has been reported does not threaten the data that been input by the user. For only a couple users, they have had trouble extracting the PDF from their device. It would crash and just basically make it a pain in the ass to work with. Others have had no issues, so I believe it is device specific. I'm glad I have it available for the android, but it sure is temperamental.

Nice app, but almost unusable for me b/c of the wacky formatting of the pdf report. Why can't you make the "Filename" column just a little wider so that the whole filename ( maybe 12-14 characters) can fit on one line? I thought I was doing something wrong with my formatting until I saw the sample reports and they are just as hard to read. Like the number on the far left that numbers each take is positioned in the middle of the take entry (next to the "av"?) Post thought something had gotten garbled in the email process. Is there some way for me to adjust the column widths? I would love to have an easier way to do reports on my iOS device, but for now, I'm sticking w/ my excel spreadsheet in Docs To Go.

• 5 weeks later...

iOS update v2.0 of Sound Report Writer has been submitted for approval and should be available for download in about a week. Surprise! We actually haven't been sleeping this whole time. This update is long overdue and will provide a much more efficient and customized workflow. I've attached a few new screenshots below, or feel free to just go ahead and download the thing now! Updates include the following:

• Custom file naming formula - create any file name automatically

post-943-0-29052600-1339193262.png

post-943-0-83337900-1339193263.png

• Track naming 'autosuggest' list for each project

post-943-0-33232600-1339193267.png

• Easy 'Advance Scene' and 'Advance Take' buttons make going from 10 to 10A a breeze!

post-943-0-36002500-1339193265.png

• Navigate takes simply by swiping left or right
  • Timecode: create a new take and then add your start and end timecode stamps

Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback and patience with this project! Please don't hold back any questions or suggestions. We can now begin on some similar updates and stability improvements for the Android platform. An updated video tutorial should be posted by the time that it is approved by Apple.

Sound Report Writer 2.0 has been approved and is now available in the app store. Lots of improvements have been made that I think everyone has been waiting for, including custom filenames for all recorders. We've also made things a little better organized and easily accessible. The system is nearly as automated as possible. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think. Thanks again to everyone for your support! Keep the suggestions and recommendations coming. 

HI Tyler.

just been looking at the version 2 app.

liking it a lot, but have one request.

with the advance scene button, could we have the option to either advance alphabetically, or numerically for those of us that dont use the American system.

thanks

I just downloaded the new version. I use it with a Deva, and do not enter TC start info except in the note area on wild lines. I like the fact that it shows the segment number now and I can swype to see previous takes. I'm still getting up to speed, and it is a big improvement for my work flow over paper, but I now have to explain why I always have my phone in my hand.

Darrell Henke

www.ShowbizAudio.com

Thanks for the update. I just finished a three wee feature shoot using the last version. Thanks for the updates can't wait to try them out on a show.

iphones have become so common place on set I don't mind explaining why I'm using it. It's always in airplane mode anyways.

HI Tyler.

just been looking at the version 2 app.

liking it a lot, but have one request.

with the advance scene button, could we have the option to either advance alphabetically, or numerically for those of us that dont use the American system.

thanks

Rich, I can definitely add that option. So I understand correctly, if the scene is 23, the next scene would be 231? Or 23-1 maybe? How would you scribe that specifically? TIA.

Rich, I can definitely add that option. So I understand correctly, if the scene is 23, the next scene would be 231? Or 23-1 maybe? How would you scribe that specifically? TIA.

I see 21-1 , 23-1 fairly often these days. Slate actually reads 21.1 , 23.1 but I call a period illegal character for sound files.

Tyler, you will have quite some work to make the whole world happy bust just for you to know here's the french system: we start 23-1 take 1, when camera moves or ens changes we go 23-2 take 1 and so forth until next scene..

When the android version wil add the custom file naming and this advance feature , i"ll sure be ready to forget paper for good..

For anyone wondering how to use the file naming formula, I've added instructions in the FAQ. Also pasted below.

10) How do I make my custom filename?

- It's easy. Open the app and go to 'Settings>Edit File Naming Formula' and turn on the parts you'd like to use for your formula. Then tap 'Edit' in the top right to rearrange each field. For example, if you have a Zaxcom Deva then you'll want to turn on 'Roll' and 'Segment,' make sure the other fields are 'OFF' and move 'Roll' above 'Segment.' Then go to the bottom and make sure you are using 3 digits in your segment format. Or if you have a Sound Devices 788T and want to use the default naming system, you'll need to turn on 'Scene' and 'Take.' Then create a custom character for the letter 'T' that appears in between scene and take by tapping 'Add Custom Character' and naming it in 'Field Name' and type the actual character you'd like to use. In this case, type the letter 'T' in the 'Character' field. Make sure it is 'ON' and move it in between 'Scene' and 'Take.' The options are limitless.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tyler and thanks for a great product. I purchased this app and I've been using it on a Bollywood film shooting here in Melbourne. A few thoughts after using it for the last week. I'm using a SD 552 and the recorder time stamps the files. After the shoot I go through the files on a computer and want to add the time of day values into the timecode field on the app. I can enter the values but they don't save. They save when I press the little arrow but not when I manually add. If its a false take or a mis-roll I would like to be able to write "null" or "false" in the scene/take fields but it when I do it changes it to take "00". Also in the "projects" list it shows the date the project was created but if you change the date of the shoot in the project details page it still keeps the date the project was created. This is annoying if you are filling out sound report sheets the next day and want the project list to show the date of the shoot. Also an optional field for "shot" number between "scene" and "take" would be useful. I would like to be able to remove the Inaudible Labs branding from PDFs. That's the sort of thing you get on free/trial versions not paid apps.

Really looking forward to iCloud sync/ computer app for finishing off sound reports on a computer. Is that far off?

Generally quite a good app for bag shoots. I have my iPhone in my portabrace and can work pretty quickly with this app. The "Advance take" and "advance scene" features are great.

Thanks!

Ed