Sound Report Writer app

Tyler Faison

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-I can enter the values but they don't save. They save when I press the little arrow but not when I manually add.

There is a fix for this in the next update.

-If its a false take or a mis-roll I would like to be able to write "null" or "false" in the scene/take fields but it when I do it changes it to take "00".

There is an option in "Settings" called "Reset Take" under the "Scene/Take Attributes". When it's ON it will reset the take to 1 (not 00, could be another issue?). Turn it OFF so it doesn't reset the take, but you lose the full functionality of it. What I would recommend is using the false take feature. You can change the symbol your recorder uses (Settings>Edit File Name Formula>False Take Symbol), but you could also change it to 'NULL' and it will add that to the beginning of your file name and still give you the false take indicator in the Status column.

-Also in the "projects" list it shows the date the project was created but if you change the date of the shoot in the project details page it still keeps the date the project was created. This is annoying if you are filling out sound report sheets the next day and want the project list to show the date of the shoot.

I guess I never thought of the possibility that one might create a sound report on a day other than the shoot day. I can make the day listed the day of the project rather than the day of the creation.

-Also an optional field for "shot" number between "scene" and "take" would be useful.

Are you thinking something similar to the 'Segment' field? The next update will also have some UK/European friendly enhancements, including the option to change some of the syntax.

-I would like to be able to remove the Inaudible Labs branding from PDFs. That's the sort of thing you get on free/trial versions not paid apps.

This WILL happen soon.

-Really looking forward to iCloud sync/ computer app for finishing off sound reports on a computer. Is that far off?

Next update as well. It's mainly used to sync projects between devices. There are no plans for an OSX piece of software.

Android update is still being worked on. Hopefully it will be completed within the next two weeks.

• 1 month later...

Hey Tyler,

Good surprise this morning to see the update on the Android Market!!

I've been waiting for your file naming formula for quite a while!!

I've been toying with it a few on both an HTC sensation and an old Galaxy tab..seems to work quite well but....

I can't make the fille name match the ones of my Nomad...wich is the main purpose of the app for me..

I can't because in the file name the segment number stay in a X format where i need a XXX format..am i missing something?..the segment format setting only change the segment field of the app

I use date and segment in my nomad: so For today (26 september 2012 )the first segment file would be : 260912001 and in the app i have 2609121...not so much far away ...but still would have to explain it to each editors in post...

If you fix this i will use your app on every shoot for shure!

Hey callou, that part is being tweaked right now. Just an oversight. I've been trying to get that pushed out for sometime now. Glad to have it completed. It's much more useable now for Droid users. There are still a few things I'd like to add, but it's a good start. It also helps that we don't have to wait a week for Google to approve anything like Apple, which I why I haven't announced the changes yet. Need to check with a few users to see if their device-specific issues were resolved. Also, all PDF issues seem to have been resolved. Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Doh -- screw sound reports if I'm working as a one-man band. I just email the editor a PDF a few hours after wrap. I really should update my little Filemaker program to be able to use either Deva or Sound Devices CSV files! It's a simple matter to import and format the text, once you have a template (and figure out where all the fields are); from there, it's just a question of making it readable.

Marc, would you mind sharing your Wave Agent CSV template? I haven't been able to make one - I end up going to PDF, but am not happy with SD's layout.

TIA,

BK

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded the app. It'll work just fine for me. Basic and inexpensive.

Here's my only complaint. If you record 2 tracks, the report is vertical. If you record 7, the report is horizontal. This is a big issue for filing, as well as for being a waste of paper if printed. Horizontally there are only 11 takes on a sheet of paper. The font is WAY bigger than it needs to be.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to force the report in vertical or horizontal mode for any given project so reports can be printed and filed easily if anyone chooses, and also to be able to user select the font size and bottom margins so more takes can fit on the page.

Currently margin is huge and font bigger than it needs to be. I expect people will print these reports from time to time, and it'll waste more paper than my current 3-part reports, which are compact. 25 takes per 4"x10" 8-track report.

And I'd like to be able to edit the segment #. I use 2xSD machines, but don't use scene number on back-up. I use segment #. Sometimes it gets out of sync with the other machine (if I don't false take the back-up). Not being able to edit segment number prohibits fixing that.

I've been using SRW now for 4 months. It has been pretty solid thus far, did have one issue over the weekend where it lost about half a day's worth of notes (not sure if I did something, or if it just crashed and lost it)

My one big gripe is that I switch between recorders from gig to gig depending on the needs of the production. If I update the File Naming Formula for the recorder I'm using, it goes back and changes all of my older reports. Ran into an issue where I didn't send production the report at the end of the day. Changed settings for a gig the next day, and when I went to mail the report all the file names were in accurate.

Something to be looked at in the future?

hi,

I used SRW all last week for the first time.

Things I like:

~ The convenience of writing reports on my ios device.

~ The convenience of being able to email reports from device.

Things I didn't like:

~ Having to override the american system of nomenclature every time we changed slate (as we call them in UK). Why not have a scene and a slate fields and have options on what fields automatically advance.

~ I thought I could use 'Segment number' as a reference to the recorder's file number but that caused issues because this field can not be edited. I ended up creating a 'Filename' field but this has to be filled manually every take (alarming how quickly 1 finds this laborious when other things are automatic:-(

~ I lost a whole days report somehow - i guess emailing a PDF could be considered archiving the report but an in app option to archive (and lock out subsequent setting changes) would be great.

Overall I think the app is pretty good and hope you keep developing it.

thanks,

dan.

ps i think someone has done an app (with the required hardware) for universal TC access on set, I wonder if something like SRW could be expanded into a product that allows different departments to co-ordinate and complete the required reports for their respective departments.

Marc, would you mind sharing your Wave Agent CSV template? I haven't been able to make one - I end up going to PDF, but am not happy with SD's layout.

I created one some years back for Zaxcom's CSV layout, but will have to do some work to alter it for SD's CSV layout. I'm tied up on a project this week -- I'll put this on my To Do list and will try to get it to before too much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I use this app on ANDROID all the time... Never lost data, never had any problems...... I am NOT friendly to the App.... I leave it on, I close it, I walk away from it, I re name items, I go forward, back... basically torture it.... never any problems.... It's always kept all data....

Who knows....

Can you buy the app once and use it with both iPad and iPhone?

Do the files sync via iCloud?

Yes, you can buy the app once and download it from the app store on any device connected to your iTunes account. I actually had the sync via iCloud option up in running in a test version but it would duplicate all the field names everywhere. I couldn't get rid of the bug without a fresh reinstallation of the app, thus losing all project data, so I dropped it. I figured with over 300 users now, there'd be a lot of unhappy people that don't want to lose any files. I'm working on a way to back it up and e-mail it to yourself as a workaround.

I use this app on ANDROID all the time... Never lost data, never had any problems...... I am NOT friendly to the App.... I leave it on, I close it, I walk away from it, I re name items, I go forward, back... basically torture it.... never any problems.... It's always kept all data....

Who knows....

Yeah, that's been the biggest struggle for the Android version honestly. So many different devices with different specs.

I think a sound report app that utilises siri would be awesome, now that would be truly be a time saver/game changer.

Just hit the 'microphone' next to the space bar and it'll let you type in whatever you say. Probably most useful for notes or comments. Obviously have to have Siri (iPhone 4S or higher, iPad 3 or Mini)

post-943-0-27106100-1352264723_thumb.png

I bought the app. And used it last Wednesday. I like it. A few thoughts.

1. I am using 552 file formatting. The file name column needs to be wider

2. The time code within a take does not seems to continue counting if you move out of the app or the ipad goes to sleep. At one point it was several minutes off from the ipad clock.

3. More room to type notes would be nice. Or maybe even a way to insert a mark point TC notation when writing notes.

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Just finished my first day using the iOS version of this app on an indie feature. I like it a lot, but I left my phone sit for about an hour between set ups and when I came back, I'd lost about 2-3 hours worth of info. I managed to fix it over lunch, but it was definitely a pain. It's an issue I hope can be addressed.