Sound Report Writer app

Tyler Faison

Just wanted to announce the release of an iPhone and iPad app I've been working on, Sound Report Writer. You can download directly at the link below (should be searchable sometime later today) for $20. You can also see a product demo at www.inaudiblelabs.com/products.html

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sound-report-writer/id492004803?ls=1&mt=8

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the concept of this.... I really do, but I always think of the times we are rolling take to take so fast, it's all I can do to turn the gear on and off and QUICKLY grab a pen and scribble down the NEW scene and take, as well as a quick note or two.... Or to correct a changed scene and take once rolling... I don't much of the time have the "time" for data entry like this....

I know there is normally more time on dramatic style shows....

Us commercial guys.... It goes really fast sometimes...

Doh -- screw sound reports if I'm working as a one-man band. I just email the editor a PDF a few hours after wrap. I really should update my little Filemaker program to be able to use either Deva or Sound Devices CSV files! It's a simple matter to import and format the text, once you have a template (and figure out where all the fields are); from there, it's just a question of making it readable.

I love the idea of using an iPad as a cart-based sound report system. That's definitely on my list of things to try on my next job.

I have Movie Slate with all the add on's including the sound report.

I've only used it one project so far. A short film. But I did love it. You can fill in a lot more information then you can on I sound report I find. I had no problem with having the time to enter everything. But again it was a short film and it wasn't like we were in a rush.

But I love that I could jam TC and it was part of the report. The only downfall to it is you can't send the report as a PDF. It can goes as a Web view document that later from a computer can be printed.

Here is the link; http://www.movie-slate.com/Sound_Dept

• 2 weeks later...

Update v1.1 is available. There were a couple minor bug fixes and a few feature additions. Supports 16 tracks, can circle from the take list, and makes timecode optional. Next update should be approved in a little over a week with more major updates. Jamming timecode, capturing start and end, timecode, arming/disarming tracks, moving tracks, loading previous project data, track name storage and more are being worked on.

Hi Tyler.

how about being able to add colour to the sound reports - for instance, if i mark a take as a wildtrack it changes to green - or the notes are green, to make it easier to find things on the sound report.

otherwise think its a great app.

Hi Tyler.

how about being able to add colour to the sound reports - for instance, if i mark a take as a wildtrack it changes to green - or the notes are green, to make it easier to find things on the sound report.

otherwise think its a great app.

(Simultaneous conversation from the Facebook page)

Richard, I did consider making the report in color, but I felt like if I relied on color for certain indications, then anyone printing in black and white (most office laser printers) would be at a disadvantage. I'll consider making some additions down the road, but it'll probably remain the same as far as the color scheme goes.

Update 1.2 was submitted today and should be released week or so. Includes the ability to create a new day from an existing project and arm/disarm tracks. Still working on capturing start and end timecode, jamming timecode, storing track names, and a few others that were requested. Android app will be submitted this week as well.

Update v1.2 has been approved and is available now in the App Store. You can now create a new day of an existing project, arm/disarm tracks, and have the ability to rearrange tracks. There is a known issue in the arm/disarm feature that it doesn't carry over to the next take, but it works fine. That fix is being submitted immediately, I just didn't want to lose my place in the queue. Also, the Android version is complete and has all these features, and then some. Thank you all for your suggestions and patience.

Sound Report Writer is now available in the Android Market. It does everything the iOS version does, and actually a little bit more. You can still visit www.inaudiblelabs.com for more information.

In addition to the current iOS features, the Android version also has a Segment field. You are also able to create a take with the timecode running and hit 'Start TC' and 'End TC' whenever you are ready so that right when you create a new take that timecode isn't used. This allows you to set your take up in advance and once you are rolling you'll be able to execute the command with greater accuracy. This is still coming on the iOS version and now more time can be spent to do that.

Enjoy!

post-943-0-11944300-1328539694.jpg

Was on a job the other day where the producer needed a copy of the sound report immediately following the shoot. It would have been nice to email it directly from my smart phone, rather than giving my hand written notes. Between the importance of having a mobile office to the very useful apps that have been appearing lately, it seems it has become increasingly important for us to own smart phones. Great job, I look forward to trying your app.m