Nagra VI USB Malfunction

Marco Lopez

Hi guys,

A friend of mine yesterday had an issue with his nagra VI. While recording , he couldn't keep on copying at the same time into the flash card( card was not full at all). He decided to keep recording on the internal hard disk. After the shooting he tried to transfer the data to a computer, but the computer didnt recognized the Nagra. No indication what so ever of a device connected to the computer. So, suddently there's an issue with the Nagra's USB. Has anybody here had the same problem before?

Thank you very much,

Marco

Have never had that issue, although I did have a problem ejecting the drive properly once and think that the computer actually corrupted the HDD TOC, so have tended to avoid tethering to a computer... but sounds like your friend has other issues. Are you saying that the CF card does not work at all now, or just that the writing to the CF card failed during record? Could it have been a read/write speed issue with the card? I have used high speed San Disk and Transcend cards without issue in the past. If the CF card still works, you can insert a card, format it, and then copy the contents from the HDD to the CF card, which is how I usually transfer content from the machine. I tend to make the CF card my primary recoding and the HDD a backup.

Marco, did your friend try another card? Sometimes those CF cards get flakey. I know for sure that the Deva doesn't like CF cards that were formatted in a Sound Devices 744. (Probably a territorial dispute.)

The weird thing for me is, not only will the Sound Devices use a Deva-formatted CF card, the disk is still called "Deva"! Go figure.

Anyway, it's for reasons like this that I always carry at least 4 CF cards, and I'm not afraid to dump a card and go to another one at the slightest hint of a problem. Almost never had a problem. I also carry a Lexar CF card reader and a Firewire 400/800 cable. However, I have seen dozens and dozens of problems with CF cards with cameras, including Red and Canon.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answer!

Are you saying that the CF card does not work at all now, or just that the writing to the CF card failed during record? .

Could it have been a read/write speed issue with the card? I have used high speed San Disk and Transcend cards without issue in the past.

Hi Tom. During recording it stopped copying to the CF card and he's using San Disks.

Marco, did your friend try another card? Sometimes those CF cards get flakey.

Hi Marc, I'm definetely going to check. Sometimes you're looking to solve a problem by trying to deal with the complicated scenarios and it ends up that the least simple expected one, you never thought of. And that's why I'm not using a CF card in my 744. Don't know why I reject them, is just that I feel safer using the inner hard disk.

• 1 month later...

I have a N6 myself and I have never had this problems.

I had problems copying on USB card when fixing metedata on the keyboard at the same time. This bug was fixed.

What firmware is he on to?

It sometimes takes a long time to the disk to mount on the computer, like 10s. Sometimes copying to the computer would stop .

USB trouble are often caused by a lack of power.

good luck

Sometimes you're looking to solve a problem by trying to deal with the complicated scenarios and it ends up that the least simple expected one, you never thought of. And that's why I'm not using a CF card in my 744. Don't know why I reject them, is just that I feel safer using the inner hard disk.

I use both -- each one backs up the other. End of shoot, I had the CF card to the data op, pop in another one, and move on. I always carry a CF card reader and a firewire card, just in case they need one.

If you're using an external drive or a DVD-RAM drive, there's no problem with that if you have the space and power available. But hard drive only makes me a little nervous. (Though Jeff would correctly point out, "the camera has no backup when it's rolling.")

Hi guys,

A friend of mine yesterday had an issue with his nagra VI. While recording , he couldn't keep on copying at the same time into the flash card( card was not full at all). He decided to keep recording on the internal hard disk. After the shooting he tried to transfer the data to a computer, but the computer didnt recognized the Nagra. No indication what so ever of a device connected to the computer. So, suddently there's an issue with the Nagra's USB. Has anybody here had the same problem before?

Thank you very much,

Marco

Nagra VI doesn't like Mac.

Actually, the Mac will read and write to both Windows-formatted and Mac-formatted media, provided it's FAT32. If it's NTFS, good luck.

Microsoft has announced a new file system for Windows 8, ReFS (aka Resilient File System), but it's not quite out yet. ReFS will handle files up to 1 Yobibite (that's a 1 followed by 80 zeroes), which is probably more track data than all of us combined will probably record in our lives. I'll wait for the thumb drive version.