Last 2 days worked without a boom...

RadoStefanov

I understand what Rado is talking about. I carried my boom around on 'all wires' shoots for years, rarely needing it. It is especially painful when you end up dropping while needing both hands free or getting it caught/snagged on stuff.

Maybe a small 5-6 footer would be good enough for an emergency and collapse small enough to not get in the way.

I understand what Rado is talking about. I carried my boom around on 'all wires' shoots for years, rarely needing it. It is especially painful when you end up dropping while needing both hands free or getting it caught/snagged on stuff.

Maybe a small 5-6 footer would be good enough for an emergency and collapse small enough to not get in the way.

exactly -- reasonable compromise, and guaranteed absolution if/when the subject of your 'preparedness' comes into question.

~tt

I think 'carrying it' to base camp or in the truck or car is justified, even if one does not anticipate using it.

Better to be looking at it than looking for it!

Sorry,I could'nt resist that! A friend in the construction industry told me that a long time ago when I asked why he carried so much equipment in his van!

This is my first post on the "new" site I think..hopefully my next post will be a bit more helpful! Happy New Year to all.Neil

Could anyone list a percentage of boom usage to wireless usage depending on environment so in my case though I am still new I would say I use my boom maybe too much of the time, so: doc: 75/25 TV: 50/50 etc etc. I try to use both whenever I can, but in my head I know only one or the other will be used...that is the ratio I'm looking for.

It depends on the job, and even then, specific parts of the job. Also might depend on the kit. If you are mixing straight to camera, then you have to think about those 2 tracks. If it's 2 people talking to each other, post may want you to split their lavs on the 2 channels and hold off on the boom.

I did a show where we wired the 1 to 3 subjects of the doc/reality show. In the field I would have to boom any other people they interact with.

We did other segments with 2 people (and an animal) in a room, and the established method (from years before I joined the show) was to split the lavs on the 2 camera channels. If it was 2 subjects in a car driving around, again we split the lavs. Couldn't boom front he back seat when there is a shield in place.

I worked on a different show that was almost always 3+ cameras covering situations and shot very long lens observational. Obviously not a lot of booming there. The only boom was if one camera split off and caught somebody we couldn't mic. That show had to be 95% lav.

If you are talking about a scripted drama type thing.... you would have to talk to post people, but in my experience it's mostly boom. The lavs help reenforce the boom, but the boom is (generally speaking) the best sounding mic on set.

I had it with me just in case but did not have to use it. I am thinking about in certain situations to just DPA lav everybody. Next 3 days I will just leave my boom home.

those are the jobs where I usually use my shorty k-tek pole. It's not to hard to hang off the bag or something. It's only something like 7' extended, but closed it's under 24" (not including shock mount). If nothing else it's worth having one of these to pack in your travel kit, or leave in the car as a backup. It fits in the Pelican 1510 (FAA carry-on max size). I'm straying off topic, but all the more reason to have one of these poles in your arsenal.

I always bring a boom, even if the DP or Producer says it will be all lavs this day.

Like wise, I always bring a lav, even if the DP or Producer says it will be all boom this day. You just never know. And far too often THEY don't really know either.

The only time I wouldn't, is if the shows format itself excludes either option. Like (Swedish) "Survivor" witch is ALL boom. Or when I did (Swedish) "I'm a celebrety, get me out of here" witch is ALL lav. Otherwise, I like to have options.

Well after 5 days caring the boom around I did not use it even once.

The shoots were by appointment with plenty of time for putting lavs on the host and the presenter who were walking around and talking about the products.

I could just carry an extra smqv and receiver as a backup.

I had ZERO problem with my wireless and ifb. No hits and interference.

Having a boom while walking between 180,000 people was a drag.

Rado, I'm glad your job worked out for you and I'm sorry you had the extra hassle of having to carry around a useless boom the whole time. About 6 years ago I did a six month sentence on a Discovery show running around with Boston firemen (mostly running and not really recording) and yep, that boom was a hassle to have to wrangle. If I could have been certain to not need it as you were, I might have resented having to wrangle it and might have felt dumb for bringing it along. Especially if I, as you did, had gone against my instincts and taken the advice of all these JWsounders. All these highly experienced sound people that you are miraculously privileged to be able to directly communicate with. Yep, too bad for you that because you went and listened to the advice of clearly more experienced sound people you had to drag that boom around. I hope you don't have to go back to your "$100+/hour" computer job after this. Please feel free to never take the potentially bad advice again from all these experienced sound people.

Two things: 1) I predict that you, as I did, would get completely used to running around with the boom and I daresay it would become a non-issue and 2) the kind people on this forum were only urging you to be prepared for "the unexpected," they didn't have any knowledge of your job.

Dan Izen

I've gotta say, sometimes recording sound is a job and not an adventure.

Running around CES is a job. Sometimes jobs are hard. But I assure you it would have been harder, as everyone here suggested, to suddenly need the boom and not have it nearby. I don't believe anyone here told you to carry it with you the whole time. If there was nowhere to leave it, that is unfortunate. But I bet you that some poor guy standing on The Strip wearing a plastic suit or carrying some advertising sign for minimum wage would rather have your job than his.

Robert

Jack unless the boom is as long as the size of my petrol bag , it is an issue.

A few times my headphones cable, Boom and rolled boom cable caught on other people.

I had to carry it on the front like a knight with a sword.

I had to gently push people out of my way all the time.

Last year CES was not a problem.

But this year was insane/

Also I realized that I need a MixPreD in a smaller package.