Possible Fix for your dead HHB Portadat.

Ray Collins

I've been semi retired and had not plugged the machine in years. Seemed to be OK til yesterday when I turned it on and it didn't come up. So I pulled it apart, there's a lithium button cell in there, it had 1 volt instead of three. Machine came up when I put it back together. If you are comfortable with pulling a computer apart it's an easy fix. You have to remove the time code unit from the deck, and pull the power supply board. Now whether it was the cell or a dirty contact is still a mystery. I'd been using it as time code source, but now I have LTC Jumpstart it can go to EBay or the trash. Or I'll store it with the Nagras.;-)

• 2 months later...

Ray do you still have your hhb portadat I desperately need parts specifically power supply, batteries and battery chargers if u aren't going to use this I would be happy to work out a deal

Thank

Mike

Not to step on my friend Rays possible sale, I've got the original HHb 2 batt charger/power supply that i haven't used in many years and it still works. If Ray can't supply the charger drop me a line & we'll negotiate.

Eric

audioetc@bellsouth.net

• 2 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Hi:  I'm looking for someone to repair my HHB porta dat.  I get a weird message on the screen and it won't play or record.  HHB does not support these machines anymore.  Does anyone know who does competent work on them??  HELP!!  Thanks:  Terry Kleven/Roseville, MN...

Yes, I know a great repairman, but he's in Ireland, so postage, Customs, etc may be pricey ..but if it's worth it to you he'll do a brilliant job (did for mine last year, anyway!) ..he's Paul Carrington (a radio veteran) and email him first instead of just sending it: paulcarrington@btinternet.com

He may need a bit of persuading, and he may say that he's not doing them any more. But if you're friendly, and give him lots of background info, he may do it. (It may be something just as simple as a stretched loading belt; that'll prevent the tape being loaded, and thus nothing else will work.)

Tell him what the "..weird message on the screen.." says, and he may be able to diagnose it immediately.

"Okay. gotta ask. why?"

Maybe I can explain: Frequency Response - 10Hz to 20kHz (±1db). I'm not sure what other recording devices ..apart from Sony's consumer DAT devices, and the brilliant miniature Sony NT recorders.. genuinely record as low as 10Hz (think steam-driven fairground organs), AES/EBU In and Out, Time Code sync (on the 1000TC version), Mid/Side monitoring (on the 1000TC Plus version). It's not a mixer, of course, and it doesn't have radio receivers. But - for me, anyway - the sound quality is absolutely superb ..in my experience (with Studers, etc) absolutely unbeatable in a portable machine.