Zaxcom RX900 to various camera cables

Devendra Cleary

I built some new cables today to interface cameras with my Zaxcom hops. The Zaxcom receivers have a 5 pin analog audio output connector.

I wanted a slick, one-cable solution to feed the lager cameras I've been working with.

post-754-132633208782.jpg

Here is my 36" Zax to Alexa cable:

post-754-132633218623.jpg

post-754-132633223734.jpg

I used a strait 5 pin male connector because the "Panavised" Alexa cameras have focus equipment in the way preventing an up-facing right angle connector.

Here is my 36" Zax to RED cable:

post-754-132633240094.jpg

Now for non-"Panavised" Alexa cameras, here are my 18" slick right angle Zax to Alexa cables:

post-754-132633258991.jpg

I used Mogami 2 pair balanced audio cable. The Mogami tends to be easier to work with in terms of fitting into the Neitrik 5 pin connectors. Canare would be better for long cable runs IMHO. Standard pin configuration:

Pin 1: shield for both

Pin 2: hot for left

Pin 3: cold for left

Pin 4: hot for right

Pin 5: cold for right

The T3M connectors for the RED camera are also standard with pin numbering:

Pin 1: shield

Pin 2: hot

Pin 3: cold

However pin 3 is not the center pin like in standard full size XLR connectors. Ignore physical placement and follow numbers.

Just passing on what I learned by building these.

Cheers!

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

PS I hope this doesn't turn into a debate about wether or not to feed quality audio/ or any audio to cameras. Ugh.

Eric,

Of course. I am utilizing the versatility of the pin block's rotate-ability in all of these cables. What I was mentioning about the "Panavised" Alexa cameras, is that there are obstructions adjacent to the 5 pin audio input that do not allow the use of any configuration of a right angle connector, so a strait connector is used.

-D

Eric,

Of course. I am utilizing the versatility of the pin block's rotate-ability in all of these cables. What I was mentioning about the "Panavised" Alexa cameras, is that there are obstructions adjacent to the 5 pin audio input that do not allow the use of any configuration of a right angle connector, so a strait connector is used.

-D

I just ran into the Panivision issue this week. Now I need a new cable. Yours look great.

CrewC

Okay, you guys just saved me some work. When I first made up an Alexa cable I didn't have a right angle 5-pin in stock, so I used a straight one. I had planned to make a right angle version when I got the right angle XLR.

Knowing that it's the one that'll work on all versions of Alexa (Plural: Alexae?), I'm plenty happy just carrying the straight one. Thanks.

There are some mixers who say some DP's don't like the straight XLR's and would prefer the RA's. Obviously you can't win them all.

...and those DPs are certainly welcome to bring along their own right angle adapters. <g>

Actually, some of the rental houses send the Alexa out with a right angle adapter cable. So, between that, the one I already have, and, of course, the aforementioned DP's adapter <g>, I should be set.