New Nomad review available

Glen Trew

The problem for me is that your "observations and opinions" are not facts and in this case not true. For example When you write "plug in and press record" doesn't work." You need to be sure that you are correct. In this case you are dead wrong. You need to search for threads regarding other recorders that have problems recording because there are more posts here by far about lost recordings from FAT32 based recorders than our gear.

Glenn

Regarding lost recordings, I'm sure you are right. Regarding a higher percentage of new equipment requiring trips back to the mother ship, I am sure I am right.

But let me say, I still think your feature set with all of your products, and now a good price point with the Nomad, is pretty fantastic.

I'll still stick with my opinion about how your products are released, and my observation about the reliability of the equipment out of the box. Once they are "broken in" it is clear that they are fantastic products with an enthusiastic and loyal customer base.

Robert

" I really don't think I am that good of an engineer. ;-) "

but some of us do...

more inclusive than just the narrow "engineer", many here see you as an educated, savvy, innovative, dedicated, visionary, inventive, pioneering, determined, outspoken, enthusiastic, respected, admired, and experienced small designing, developing, manufacturing and marketing business owner-operator serving a rather specific and challenging technical niche market providing what are some of the most cutting (b-leeding?) edge, award winning products --pushing the current limits of technology and cost effectiveness while leading the charge into the future.

that's not doing too bad... ::)

Edited by studiomprd

• 3 weeks later...

My resentment towards Zaxcom stems from years ago being denied access to the Deva forum prior to buying one and it made me think there was something wasn't right.

Hi Scott: I resisted jumping into this until it played out, which it always does. These type threads on JW (unlike ramps was) are like 3-act stories that usually have happy endings because we all really do respect each other for the small community that it is.

I just wanted to chime in on this tidbit because it involved my own legacy. Actually I was the one who started that first Deva group many years ago. Things were far, far different then than now. It was the first user's group for an audio product that I'm aware of. It's purpose then was far different than now because it was originally a small group of Deva users who were literally beta testers and giving input as the product started from scratch as Zaxcom went down the river without a paddle. The last thing Zaxcom wanted to do was give the secret sauce to competitors. While that might sound silly, it was soon proved out by a post made by someone who joined under false pretenses for just that reason. We know because the guy actually copied pertinent facts and tried to send them to a company that was making a competing recorder that you know well. This was discovered when the "spy" pushed the send button back to the group rather than the forward button. You can imagine how Glenn took that. It took a lot of coddling to get him to begin posting again. Corporate espionage was the big worry. Of course forum open information flow has changed all that, but how I miss those days...

Wow!

It is like a plot from a spy movie...for audio geeks :D

My resentment towards Zaxcom stems from years ago being denied access to the Deva forum prior to buying one and it made me think there was something wasn't right.

Hi Scott: I resisted jumping into this until it played out, which it always does. These type threads on JW (unlike ramps was) are like 3-act stories that usually have happy endings because we all really do respect each other for the small community that it is.

I just wanted to chime in on this tidbit because it involved my own legacy. Actually I was the one who started that first Deva group many years ago. Things were far, far different then than now. It was the first user's group for an audio product that I'm aware of. It's purpose then was far different than now because it was originally a small group of Deva users who were literally beta testers and giving input as the product started from scratch as Zaxcom went down the river without a paddle. The last thing Zaxcom wanted to do was give the secret sauce to competitors. While that might sound silly, it was soon proved out by a post made by someone who joined under false pretenses for just that reason. We know because the guy actually copied pertinent facts and tried to send them to a company that was making a competing recorder that you know well. This was discovered when the "spy" pushed the send button back to the group rather than the forward button. You can imagine how Glenn took that. It took a lot of coddling to get him to begin posting again. Corporate espionage was the big worry. Of course forum open information flow has changed al that, but how I miss those days...

I will add to what John Coffey has said above since I, too, was very much involved in the first Deva group (being one of the very first to ever use this revolutionary machine). The very, very small group of people in the beginning who were willing to try and use the very first Deva, was actually just a few people who were willing partners, pioneers, with Zaxcom (a company that few of us had even heard of before the Deva was introduced). The Deva listgroup (online) was really the best way for all of us to communicate amongst ourselves and with Zaxcom, the only agenda being to make this new way of recording a part of our working lives. It was not a manufacturer's or product support forum in the traditional sense and it was something that needed to be confined only to people who actually had a Deva already. You have to remember that the Deva was the very first of what was going to become a whole new category of production sound recording equipment and it was very important to Zaxcom to not be undermined in its infancy by other more well established (in our industry) companies. Most of us were totally on board with this, knowing that we were part of a total game changer with the Deva in our hands.

I think where Zaxcom may have made a mistake, after the Deva was well established as the dominant recorder and a few other companies had entered the field with their own products, there should have been an active online community of Zaxcom Deva users that could be read by everyone --- I proposed this to Zaxcom many, many years ago, but for whatever reason, it never happened.

So, after starting JWSOUND in 2006, I sort of got my wish, and I think the success of this site has proven that open and free (and hopefully accurate and civilized) conversations about ALL gear benefits us all.

a competent spy would buy a unit, and join legitimately...

I will add that this exact same kind of thing happened a lot over the past 25 years in the post business, with VTR manufacturers, editing machine companies, editing software companies, and many others. That whole field was extremely litigious for a time -- in particular, I can remember a 1980s guy who patented the idea of "secondary color correction" (very similar to audio equalizers, only for video) suing everybody in the world who was using rival products. He made many millions of dollars until digital color correction came out, because suddenly people were changing bits instead of analog signals, and none of the patents were valid.

It's very, very hard to get patents to stick these days, especially when you can reverse-engineer stuff and just achieve similar results in a different way, or can prove prior art (similar to the Apple Macintosh vs. Microsoft Windows lawsuits). The bottom line is that the best product usually wins, and more choices are almost always better for the customer. The recent introduction of new 4K cameras to compete with the Red Camera is another good example.

Still, history will show that Zaxcom was first in this area, and it's important to observe that they were the ones that made the better mousetrap that influenced a great deal of products in the last decade.