Thumper Speaker

Michael P Clark

There are a lot of sub-woofer systems out there, as they are popular in the Music industry... (I'm sure there will be plenty at NAMM next week)...

a key component of a specialized "thumper" system is that a generator puts out a LF "thump" corresponding to every click on a click track, (or the ticks from a metronome).

a key component of a specialized "thumper" system is that a generator puts out a LF "thump" corresponding to every click on a click track, (or the ticks from a metronome).

This is why I bill for a "Thumper System" and not a "subwoofer".

My "Thumper System" includes my creation of 40Hz thump track in ProTools.

I'm not really familiar with using a 'thumper'.. Would anyone care to explain the typical application for these kind of speakers? Thumper thumping during dialog? wow, just as a tempo-reference for music that'll be added in post?

Thanks in advance,

Diego

I'm not really familiar with using a 'thumper'.. Would anyone care to explain the typical application for these kind of speakers? Thumper thumping during dialog? wow, just as a tempo-reference for music that'll be added in post?

Thanks in advance,

Diego

Yes, Diego. For instance, when doing dialog in a club scene, or any scene where backgrounds or actors need to keep a tempo to the music and deliver lines, a thumper and PA speakers are used. Start the scene playing a playback music track, and thumper track. As dialog gets close to starting, the playback op turns off the playback, but leaves the thumper track, a click track at 40hz, playing while dialog is being recorded. The 40hz gets rolled off in post and music is laid over the dialog that has that same "click" or beat.

I will add that usually this is for scenes with music that is already cleared and ballroom-style dancing, or instruments playing for a scene featuring a band which needs to mime when the dialog starts, both of which require close adhesion to a beat. Most scenes we do with music have neither, and anything we play for party or club scenes is replaced with music with a different beat. The music is there to help actors get there level up to club level and to help the extras keep up the energy.

On my show, we have a deaf drummer (character is played by a deaf actor). When we do the band stuff, we use the Thumper (which is set directly behind him) so he can feel the beat and keep time.

Robert

From the Senator~

" a key component of a specialized "thumper" system is that a generator puts out a LF "thump" corresponding to every click on a click track, (or the ticks from a metronome) "

Some metronomes come with a drum machine. Would there be a problem with running a drum track ( say a 4/4 back beat )

through a thumper ?

Kev~

Well, the reason the thumper used to be expensive was the processing of a click into a 40Hz thump and feeding it into a big sub-woofer.

These days you can create a 40Hz thump in ProTools and duplicate it on any beat. Pretty easy. And play it through a powered sub-woofer. Mine cost $600.

Well, actually the "real-deal" thumper generator is variable from about 15 hz to 200 hz. 40 Hz a pretty high frequency to run at, but much depends on the room and the tempo of the track.

The biggest issue is that to work properly, you need to tune the frequency to the cabinet and room combination, and avoid exciting things that wil rattle and vibrate. Obviously, this can only be done when you get there, so trying to use a pre-determined frequency doesn't fly too well. As best as I recall the Sensurround M and W cabinets designed by W.O Watson at Universal are good down to about 18 Hz or so, I would have to try and find the original design on them. They use a custom designed Cerwin-Vega driver, which was rated for heavy-duty operation (and is virtually impossible to find.)

I have used all the other subs out there (including the big Meyers, Velodyne, Bag End and JBL commercial systems. The only system that could hold a candle to the Sensurround cabinets was the old BassTech ServoDrive subwoofer. Those things were truly scary-could rip your face off at 100 yards...

Of course, nothing compares to the Matterhorn http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/matterhorn.htm.

--S

• 9 years later...

Can't really answer to your question in general but I just read Simon Hayes' articles in Production Sound & Video about the new Bond movie. In part 2 he writes about a club scene where they where using a thumper track.

https://www.local695.com/magazine/bond-25-no-time-to-die-part-2/

Here's also part 1 if you want to read the full story:

https://www.local695.com/magazine/no-time-to-die/

This will get it done and fits nicely under the drum risers:

https://meyersound.com/product/900-lfc/

If you want to use something to make them feel like they are in a volcano, there is always this:

https://meyersound.com/product/vlfc/.    These things have an amazing low end extension but only run on 208v.