Thumper Speaker

Michael P Clark

I was able to find a used Behringer Eurolive B1200d Pro. It only has a 70Hz low pass on it but I'm generating a 25Hz click to create the thump. I looked into the Rockit but I wanted something lighter and some Amazon reviews were saying that it rattles a lot.

1 hour ago, LuisT said:

Anyone using a broadband mobile speaker that goes low enough frequency wise and not only a sub?

Not to have a regular speaker+ a sub?

I've been getting away with my Mackie Thump 12a as an all-in-one but I felt it was time for a proper sub because it's borderline on the low end as far as how low it can go while maintaining volume for its function as a thumper. I'm sure there are better options out there but they probably come somewhat at a cost.

16 hours ago, BAB414 said:

I've been getting away with my Mackie Thump 12a as an all-in-one but I felt it was time for a proper sub because it's borderline on the low end as far as how low it can go while maintaining volume for its function as a thumper. I'm sure there are better options out there but they probably come somewhat at a cost.

It seems like a nice option with a 50 - 23,000 Hz frequency response. But i guess when you click track is lower than 50hz, which is better for dialog, sub is the option to maintain low energy.

I find decent 15" and Horn self-powered speakers, such as the JBL SRX 800 series can usually suffice as a Thumper for smaller indoor spaces (for example smaller shopfront cafe spaces or a "band rehearsal room" type scene). Pretty much all boxes with a 15" LF will be dropping off in level already at the 40Hz range I do thumps in. There are larger 3-way all-in-ones from JBL and others with an 18" LF driver that can do better and are still flat output down to around 33 Hz, but they are not practically portable enough for my liking - I prefer the separate single-18" sub with a pole mounted 12" and Horn high-mid box rigs instead as they are a lot easier to get in and out of vans etc and more versatile in deployment. This also means only the Sub has to be timber construction, you can get away with much lighter plastic high-mid boxes.

• 1 year later...