Beer

Olle Sjostrom

Yeah saison beers are real pricey in Sweden as well. But a real treat!

The luxury of Systembolaget (the alcohol monopoly store that I'm sure you know all about, Johnny) is that they have a huge stock of anything alcoholic, so if I wanted a certain beer, I could order it at any Systembolaget store, and they'd take care of all the taxes and logistics until it reaches me. I don't have to look up that specific beers vendor or dealer and find that store or whatever... In that sense, alcohol monopoly is really advantageous.

Jim, American craft beers are really awesome, that's the problem... As soon as I discovered these brews and gifted brewers from the us, I just couldn't get myself to like all those millers and pabsts or buds.... Just too... Bleak in comparison. ....

Like if you ever worked with a schoeps and then suddenly you had to work with a K6 ;P

Olle, 25 years ago the wonderful writer William Least Heat Moon wrote a great article about birth and growth of the American craft beer scene. Geez, I still remember that article. Someone posted it online. Worth a read, I think. Lots of fun and insight:

The industrial brewers continue to prosper; but now they are facing a new challenge from local brewers across the country who are dedicated to turning out brews that have only one thing in common with industrial beer - wetness.

http://www.wesjones.com/moon1.htm

• 1 month later...

Great to see this, I'm really big on my crazy world beers.

Nils oscar ctrl alt del is great stuff, as is their God Lager.

Strongly recommend Einstok porter as well. Awesome stuff.

My all time favourite is Delirium Noel (Delirium Christmas). Just incredible.

Great! Thanks for the tip! Christmas beers are really big here now. I think there's about 50 different kinds of them in stock in the Systembolaget, which is a big number.. Where are you located?

post-3055-13555147747.jpg

Been n a bit of a beer hiatus to save myself for Christmas. So did the shopping today and put the bottles in my brand spanking new apartment's spanking new fridge.

The idea is to taste some of them on Christmas Eve and then finish them before the world ends. :) I'll give you some reviews as time goes.

There's actually only two American ale in there btw; Widmer Brothers Brrrr winter ale and Anchor Christmas ale.

eg kan se norsk øl, og du har fin smak!

I'm looking forward to having one in just over a month when I'm back home.

oh, also I'm going to be doing a film in stockholm starting in late jan and I'll say hi.

Ja! Two from nogne ø, based on your recommendation :)

Well if you have the time we'll definitely have to grab a coffee (or a beer?)

There's the great local brewery named "The Bruery" in Orange County that I've been going to since they were first starting up.

My favorite seasonal is their "Autumn Maple", a delicious Belgian brewed with smoky yams and spices. It's like drinking Thanksgiving.

I'm going to have to check this out! I moved to LA a year ago and it's been hard to find anything but hoppy ales. Southern California sure loves its IPA.

One of my favorite winter brews is a dopplebock brewed in my home town of Missoula, Montana. Sweet, dark, thick and toasty. A high alcohol content to keep the cheeks rosy after a blustery day in the mountains.

I took this picture when I found it carried at PCC in Seattle over Thanksgiving. It's hard to find outside of Montana. Anyone know of any good dark or amber beers brewed in Cali?

de8yqave.jpg

I'm going to have to check this out! I moved to LA a year ago and it's been hard to find anything but hoppy ales. Southern California sure loves its IPA.

One of my favorite winter brews is a dopplebock brewed in my home town of Missoula, Montana. Sweet, dark, thick and toasty. A high alcohol content to keep the cheeks rosy after a blustery day in the mountains.

I took this picture when I found it carried at PCC in Seattle over Thanksgiving. It's hard to find outside of Montana. Anyone know of any good dark or amber beers brewed in Cali?

de8yqave.jpg

There are a lot of great beers coming out of the bay area. We do love our hops on the west coast!

If you really like the dopplebock, I would see if you can find anything from Russian River. Excellent beers!

Wandering Ear

I meant to pick up this very appropriate Quebec beer about 8 days ago but never got around to it. A picture pulled off the web will have to do:

biere-unibroue-fin-du-monde1.jpg

La fin du monde - The End of the World.

A 9% ale, fruity with a touch of spices and a somewhat bitter end.

Stouts are always great IMO. That looks like a good one :) how's Canada for beers? I mean is there a micro brewery culture like in the US?

I've been fortunate enough to travel from one coast of Canada to the other many times over the years, and always seem to discover a new micro brewery. They're everywhere.

Cheers.