broken IDX KL-4, know of anyone that fixes them?

Ayip12

I hate to mention the obvious, but have you contacted IDX to see how much they'd charge?

Please let us know what you find out as I'd like to send one of my KL-4s to them for service. (I haven't been in a big hurry since I have three other IDX Lithium chargers <g> (Are we sound mixers... or equipment collectors? Yes.)

Your post got me comparing my two IDX KL-4 units and they are different. They are both clearly the same model number, but one of them has more pins in each of the charge bays (8 compared to 5), and the chasis and labeling are a bit different. On the serial number stickers (which are a different size and placement), one says "MADE IN JAPAN," and the other says, "MADE IN I-D-X " (no, I'm not kidding). The physical sizes are a tad different and the ventilation is different. The version with the 8 pins in each charge bay also has a slide switch on the back for selecting between either simultaneous or sequential charging.

You'd think such variations would merit at least a minor model number change.

broken IDX KL-4, know of anyone that fixes them?

IDX fixes them. Definitely HAT here.

I sent one in that was doing the same thing as yours.

replaced aged psu and pcb boards - $240.13

labor - $100

shipping - $7.00

Total: $347.13

It works now, but takes forever to charge when all four bays are full of L7S. Like, more than 10 hours. I actually didn't wait to find out and threw them on the JL-2plus.

Mark O.

• 1 month later...

Yep, right before I made the trip to Wilcox, I screwed around with the JL-2+, plugged and unplugged, power-cycled it... and now both slots charge just fine. They've always charged sequentially -- whichever battery is inserted first gets charged first. I suspect it just got "confused."

I was happy to discover that it also charged non-IDX NiMh batteries with no problem. I had an old Sony NiCad charger that could do those as well. These new battery chemistries definitely present a challenge. I expect to have to change over again, once the LiFe batteries get more widespread (and more affordable).